ADVERTISEMENT

" The Blind side" Controversy .. who to believe ?

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
read a lot of stuff. .. court records will prove who is conning who I guess .. the family says they have text messages telling him not to try to cash in .. the whole adoption versus conserve a whatever .. never followed it .

I wrote on another thread it comes down to this:

1) Oher signed away his rights to royalties to the movie when he was in the NFL. He claims he doesn’t remember doing it but he definitely signed it.

2) His agent at the time was a family friend of the Tuohys

To me, this is between him and his agent / 20th Century Fox

The conservatorship stuff is nonsense. They established that for him long before there was a movie or book deal. So there’s no way they could have planned for that.

Further, adoption, conservatorship who gives a shit? He got to live with them for years and was off the street. It’s not like a conservatorship allowed them to rip him off.

Guessing dude blew all nfl his earnings. Pretty pathetic imo for him to air all this out in the open.

Plus didn't the family make like 100s of millions selling their fast food franchises...im really sure they were banking on a teenage prospect to take them to the promised land

I wrote on another thread it comes down to this:

1) Oher signed away his rights to royalties to the movie when he was in the NFL. He claims he doesn’t remember doing it but he definitely signed it.

2) His agent at the time was a family friend of the Tuohys

To me, this is between him and his agent / 20th Century Fox

The conservatorship stuff is nonsense. They established that for him long before there was a movie or book deal. So there’s no way they could have planned for that.

Further, adoption, conservatorship who gives a shit? He got to live with them for years and was off the street. It’s not like a conservatorship allowed them to rip him off.
But that’s exactly what the conservatorship did. It gave them the ability to rip him off. The comments aren’t the least bit surprising either. I figured everyone would immediately assume he’s lying or that he blew through his money even though various sources claim he is worth 16 million.

If what he says is true that they have repeatedly told him they adopted him which they knew was a lie, their credibility takes a huge hit. He deserved compensation for the movie which they allegedly kept from him.

Catspause doesn’t disappoint though. I knew the majority of the posters here would side with and believe the family. I wonder why that is.

But that’s exactly what the conservatorship did. It gave them the ability to rip him off. The comments aren’t the least bit surprising either. I figured everyone would immediately assume he’s lying or that he blew through his money even though various sources claim he is worth 16 million.

If what he says is true that they have repeatedly told him they adopted him which they knew was a lie, their credibility takes a huge hit. He deserved compensation for the movie which they allegedly kept from him.

Catspause doesn’t disappoint though. I knew the majority of the posters here would side with and believe the family. I wonder why that is.

Oh boy. You’ve already made up your mind havent you? Here’s comes 15 pages….

Oh boy. You’ve already made up your mind havent you? Here’s comes 15 pages….
Nope but it seems most people here have so I stand by my statement but he gets the same benefit of the doubt from me as the family which so far most others only seem to be extending to the family. Again I’ll ask. Why is that?

Reactions: chroix

It was brought up in the movie 14 years ago.

• Leigh Anne Touhy: [talking about the Tuohy's Christmas card photo with Michael in it]
  • Elaine: He looks so big compared to you like Jessica Lange right next to King Kong
  • [amidst chuckles]
  • Beth: Hey, does Michael get the family discount at Taco Bell? 'Cause if he does Sean is gonna lose a few stores.
  • Leigh Anne Touhy: He's a good kid.
  • Elaine: Well, I say you make it official and just adopt him
  • [laughs]
  • Leigh Anne Touhy: He's going to be eighteen in a few months it doesn't make much sense to legally adopt.

Dude, did you even read what I wrote?

The crux here is that he signed his rights away for money on the movie. He says he doesn't remember doing that, but if he did he didn't understand what he was doing. He did this as an NFL athlete and it appeared to have nothing to do with the conversatorship. Could you argue that as his legal guardian the Tuohy's should have looked at that? Sure. But he was in his mid-20's when this went down.

But I want to know who was involved with him doing that? If it was his agent then she's breaking her fudiciary duty (but he's not going after her btw). If it's 20th Century Fox then he should be going after them. If it were the Tuohys then it would contradict what they are saying (and the money he was paid by them).

This is not the same as the Tuohys making a cut of his NFL earnings or sponsorship deals. This is a story about their lives too. The husband - who was buds with Michael Lewis - gave it to him. Then the family cut a deal that paid them a portion of the proceeds for the movie. The family claims they gave Oher 1/5 of that. The other 4/5 were equally split with the Tuohy's four family members.

So here's what I want to know:
1) How much did the Tuohys really make on the movie?
2) How much did Oher really get paid by them?
3) What is legally correct here? As in, if I write a book about taking in an 18-year old kid and I sell the rights to the book, how much does he legally deserve?

The crux here is that he signed his rights away for money on the movie. He says he doesn't remember doing that, but if he did he didn't understand what he was doing. He did this as an NFL athlete and it appeared to have nothing to do with the conversatorship. Could you argue that as his legal guardian the Tuohy's should have looked at that? Sure. But he was in his mid-20's when this went down.

But I want to know who was involved with him doing that? If it was his agent then she's breaking her fudiciary duty (but he's not going after her btw). If it's 20th Century Fox then he should be going after them. If it were the Tuohys then it would contradict what they are saying (and the money he was paid by them).

This is not the same as the Tuohys making a cut of his NFL earnings or sponsorship deals. This is a story about their lives too. The husband - who was buds with Michael Lewis - gave it to him. Then the family cut a deal that paid them a portion of the proceeds for the movie. The family claims they gave Oher 1/5 of that. The other 4/5 were equally split with the Tuohy's four family members.

3) What is legally correct here? As in, if I write a book about taking in an 18-year old kid and I sell the rights to the book, how much does he legally deserve?
Again I’ll just say, the replies are what I expected from this board.

It was brought up in the movie 14 years ago.

• Leigh Anne Touhy: [talking about the Tuohy's Christmas card photo with Michael in it]
  • Elaine: He looks so big compared to you like Jessica Lange right next to King Kong
  • [amidst chuckles]
  • Beth: Hey, does Michael get the family discount at Taco Bell? 'Cause if he does Sean is gonna lose a few stores.
  • Leigh Anne Touhy: He's a good kid.
  • Elaine: Well, I say you make it official and just adopt him
  • [laughs]
  • Leigh Anne Touhy: He's going to be eighteen in a few months it doesn't make much sense to legally adopt.
Because we know movies based on real life events are always 100% accurate.

Again I’ll just say, the replies are what I expected from this board.
It’s not siding with the family, it’s simply stating that if he signed his rights away then that’s on him, unless they tricked him into it as a minor.
It’s a legal, binding document, has nothing to do with race. We can’t just start ignoring the contracts.

Reactions: WTF Cat
Father Touhy spoke on it today. It was a bit damage control-y.. but he did said that the family would do whatever Oher wanted.. whether that be to end the conservatorship or even if Oher wanted to remove his ties to the family. Touhy said they'd be upset, but ultimately they would do whatever it is Oher wishes.

It will be interesting to see if that's all talk or not.

Father Touhy spoke on it today. It was a bit damage control-y.. but he did said that the family would do whatever Oher wanted.. whether that be to end the conservatorship or even if Oher wanted to remove his ties to the family. Touhy said they'd be upset, but ultimately they would do whatever it is Oher wishes.

It will be interesting to see if that's all talk or not.
Sounds pretty racist to me. This whole thing was probably a scheme to draw out all the racists on the Catpaw.

I’m kind of intrigued that the conservatorship is still in place. I can see why they did it originally; it basically makes the family his guardian which would help in medial issues, some normal financial stuff, etc.

But that is primarily set up for people who are unable to take care of themselves. Yet Oher never fought it over the last 17 years or so.

Guessing dude blew all nfl his earnings. Pretty pathetic imo for him to air all this out in the open.

Plus didn't the family make like 100s of millions selling their fast food franchises...im really sure they were banking on a teenage prospect to take them to the promised land

Yet Oher never fought it over the last 17 years or so.

This is the key fact imo. He had all this time to complain yet never did. Never disputed any part of the story either.

He probably could've got more out of it at the time, but had his NFL money. So to the extent it was a poor decision, it was his poor decision.

Let's not forget too, be definitely gained brand awareness in addition to the straight payment.

Definitely sounds like he's out of money and down to desperation

Reactions: ManitouDan
Family is worth a few hundred million of course they needed his money too lol...
Well you have to credit Oher for at least going after people with deep pocketbooks.

Another way to look at this, @TCurtis75, is how much did the family and Oher combined make on the book and movie, and what do you think Oher deserved?

I personally think the 4/5 to the family and 1/5 to Oher is a little shady. The sons were sort of along for the ride. Perhaps 2/3 and 1/3 at a minimum.

Around September 2006, the Tuohys negotiated contracts for the movie “The Blind Side” for themselves and their two other children through Creative Artists Agency to each to receive “$225,000 plus 2.5% of all future ‘Defined Net Proceeds’” contingent on Oher signing, the petition states. Oher’s agent for the contract was listed as the attorney who filed his conservatorship, according to the petition.

Another contract from April 2007 exists that was “purportedly signed by Michael Oher” in which Oher gives away his name, likeness, voice, etc. to the movie studio “without any payment whatsoever,”
the petition states. Oher thinks the signature on the contract looks similar to his, but he is not sure if it was forged because he said “at no time ever willingly or knowingly” did he sign a document that explained he would be giving away rights to his name, image, etc., the petition states.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/15/us/m...last November,Yaeger, was published last week.

Reactions: BBBLazing
I’m kind of intrigued that the conservatorship is still in place. I can see why they did it originally; it basically makes the family his guardian which would help in medial issues, some normal financial stuff, etc.

When you are conservator or guardian no signatures mean anything unless you co-sign it or actually sign it yourself.

We aren’t talking POA where there person also still has power too.

Last edited:
1. Nothing like rich people whining about other richer people.
2. The amount they made off the movie was peanuts compared to their careers in life. They could each give the big fella the 225k and roll their eyes as they do and count their hundreds of millions.

1. Nothing like rich people whining about other richer people.
2. The amount they made off the movie was peanuts compared to their careers in life. They could each give the big fella the 225k and roll their eyes as they do and count their hundreds of millions.

Ok, so then if they took advantage, why do it? He signed his likeness away and agreed to make nothing on the movie a year after the conservatorship was in place.

As the conservator it is your job then to stop him from entering such bad contracts.

Ok, so then if they took advantage, why do it? He signed his likeness away and agreed to make nothing on the movie a year after the conservatorship was in place.

As the conservator it is your job then to stop him from entering such bad contracts.
It is their job to stop that unless they were leading him to do that in order to profit off of him. If his allegations are true, taking advantage of him was exactly what they were trying to do even though they are extremely wealthy and successful.

Britney Spears dad did many nefarious things and took advantage of her celebrity as her conservator.

Singer also accused Oher of threatening the Tuohys that he would "plant a negative story about them in the press unless they paid him $15 million."

This follows remarks made by Sean "SJ" Tuohy Jr., the biological son of Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, who suggested during an interview with Barstool Sports on Monday that text messages between Oher and the family allegedly showed that he may have known, at least as early as 2020, that he was not legally adopted.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mich...t-negative-story-tuohy-family-attorney-claims

Well you have to credit Oher for at least going after people with deep pocketbooks.

Another way to look at this, @TCurtis75, is how much did the family and Oher combined make on the book and movie, and what do you think Oher deserved?

I personally think the 4/5 to the family and 1/5 to Oher is a little shady. The sons were sort of along for the ride. Perhaps 2/3 and 1/3 at a minimum.

Ehh, I'm OK with that split. The kids didn't sign up for this life, so I'm fine with them getting a piece of the action. At the very least it's fair on the surface, everyone involved gets a cut. As I think you or someone else said, this was a story about the Touhy's lives just as much as it was about Oher.

Last edited:
This is a perfect family for the Jerry Springer show. Invite Kaepernick's family to ensure there is no dead air. Make it a Christmas Special hosted by Jerry and Elvis.

Yep.

And the fact that he forgot if he signed something doesn’t change the validity of the contract in reference to your earlier post.

Can you imagine how many people would use that excuse as a way to get out of contractual obligations if it were a legit defense?

Reactions: WTF Cat
Yep.

And the fact that he forgot if he signed something doesn’t change the validity of the contract in reference to your earlier post.

Can you imagine how many people would use that excuse as a way to get out of contractual obligations if it were a legit defense?

I don’t think you understand what a conservatorship is. Maybe I don’t either, but I’m pretty sure the Tuohys would have had to sign that contract waiving his right to payment for the movie as well as a contract waiving any payment for his likeness since it was sig Ed after the conservatorship was in place.

I don’t think you understand what a conservatorship is. Maybe I don’t either, but I’m pretty sure the Tuohys would have had to sign that contract waiving his right to payment for the movie as well as a contract waiving any payment for his likeness since it was sig Ed after the conservatorship was in place.

I think you sign like you would as POA where you state you are an agent or conservator. I could see it looking bad for the Tuohys if they signed a deal like that for Oher without him being present.

If they signed his name for him, pretty sure with or without conservatorship that would be fraud. If he signed himself then it's going to be tough for him to prove he was "tricked" as I believe he put it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT