ADVERTISEMENT

The best and worst of SNL

How in the hell have they allowed Keenan Thompson to be on there for 21 years. They usually run even the best off after 6 or 7. Horatio Sans was another that was on there way too long.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
I think Keenan does characters pretty well, and he doesn’t have anywhere else to go. He can’t carry movies. Horatio sucked.
I don't have anything against Keenan as a performer, he can be pretty funny at times. I mean "What's up with that"? (pun intended) but 21 years is way too long. There's been lots of SNL actors who couldn't do squat after they left the show. I always assumed they kicked them to the curb after so long. yeah, Horatio sucked. I agree with that. ewwwwwww weeeeee agreewiththat, a gree with that.

I don't have anything against Keenan as a performer, he can be pretty funny at times. I mean "What's up with that"? (pun intended) but 21 years is way too long. There's been lots of SNL actors who couldn't do squat after they left the show. I always assumed they kicked them to the curb after so long. yeah, Horatio sucked. I agree with that. ewwwwwww weeeeee agreewiththat, a gree with that.
I think SNL needs some middle aged people. Hartman and Kevin Nealon were key guys and part of it was because they looked older.

Reactions: chroix and GeraldV
How in the hell have they allowed Keenan Thompson to be on there for 21 years. They usually run even the best off after 6 or 7. Horatio Sans was another that was on there way too long.

Wow..Darrell Hammond 2nd at 14 years

Reactions: J_Dee
Keenan apparently has a very absurd/surreal/strange taste in comedy, or so I read. Wish I could find the article again. It listed a bunch of stuff he wrote on that you wouldn't think would be his.

Bill Hader has been the best "recent" cast member. Never didn't get a laugh from yours truly.

Current cast thoughts.
  • Fineman and James Austin Johnson are elite impressionists. They're great in that role. She's pretty hot too.
  • Mikey Day and Andrew Dismukes are great straight men. Always need a couple of those.
  • Punkie Johnson doesn't add much to the show, IMO.
  • Ego is pretty hot too, but unless it's an impression, she's pretty much the same character in every sketch.
  • Molle Kearney's standup and her roles on SNL could not be farther apart. Can't see her lasting much longer
  • Heidi Gardner is fantastic, but not in the top echelon of female performers from other casts.
  • Marcello Hernandez is pretty good. Nice to have Latino representation. The Spanish Class skit with Mikey Day was hilarious.
  • Michael Longfellow. Eh ...
  • I wish Bowen Yang had other roles than just the gay guy or the asisan guy. He's got chops. There was a digital short where he played a sraight guy who only acted gay on TV. Great stuff.
  • Che and Jost are perfect together on Update. A lot looser with the political stuff. It's been a long run though.
  • Sarah Sherman is great, but like Melissa Villanueva, I don't know if the show knows what to do with her.
  • Chloe Trout can sing well. Eh.
  • Devon Walker. I forgot he was on the show.
I like SNL in all its forms, and I'm somewhat old, so I have a lot of casts to compare with. This one doesn't have the star power, but it's pretty solid.

Sarah Sherman wearing a wig makes her very attractive.

Can’t stand Bowen Yang. Just not funny.

I think Hernandez is funny.

The guy that plays Trump is mid.

Ego is smoke

Reactions: funKYcat75
"I got chunks of guys like you in my stool!"

The greatest line ever... Phil Hartman as Sinatra.

SNL hits, and always HAS; around .200

The early 90's were the peak.

I'm 61, and most people my age are firmly in the camp that the early days were the best.

Don't listen to that piffle. The early days were mostly trash. Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, and Garrett Morris kept that thing afloat. Anyone that says that was the hey-dey either, has a stupid sense of humor, or is just a nostalgic dimwit.

• No offense to anyone here, but I always felt people who were into SNL between the ages of 18-27 were nerds because, you know, isn't this the time in your life when you are out doing stuff on Saturday nights?
  • Prime SNL to me was when I was a kid up through high school... so basically season 14 through season 20.
    • Season 14: Carvey, Hartman, Hooks, Jackson, Miller, Myers, Nealon, etc.
    • Season 22: Farrell, Oteri, Meadows, Breuer, Hammond, Shannon, etc.
  • I know people liked future seasons with Fey and Myers and crew, but I never thought that came close to what I saw in seasons 14-22.
  • I've seen a lot of clips - plus he's in some movies and commercials, so that's why I like Keenan. His humor reminds me more of that old school season 14-22 stuff I appreciated. He would have done well in that cast.
  • I hate Colin Jost. Probably because I can't believe he's married Scarlett Johansson, But I think he sucks as the Weekend Update host too.
  • Favorite all-timers:
    • Carvey
    • Hartman
    • Nealon
    • Hammond
    • Hooks
  • People I surprisingly didn't like on the show but like in their other stuff:
    • Rock
    • Spade
    • Shannon (her stuff grew on me)
  • I always thought Jan Hooks and Sheri Oteri were sneaky pretty. And both really funny.
  • Most importantly, I though SNL helped teach me what adult humor was. I started watching it with my older brother when I was 11 years old. I hope that still happens for the younger generation, although I doubt it given how kids apparently don't watch TV.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT