ADVERTISEMENT

The Allstar game is such a joke

I think they should put all of them in a bubble and watch them 24/7. Wow
NBA is hot garbage. Nothing like it was in the 80s. No thanks. I’ll probably never watch another NBA game. It’s like they’re little ceramic figurines or something.

The NBA might as well not exist until at least the playoffs start. That's when they actually start trying to play basketball. I MAYBE watch a game or two of the finals at this point.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
It’s an exhibition. Who cares? Don’t watch if you don’t like it. That’s the beauty of America. You can do whatever you want.

Thanks Mr. Sunshine, someone doesn’t like Monday morning.

I'm actually having the time of my life. It's 4am where I'm at and I've got an ice cold beer I've never tried before, and my wife can't get mad at me because being here was her idea. Life is good.

You're not a fan of baseball. I get it. I love baseball and like celebrating the sport in the middle of summer. It's the best all-star game.
The MLB All Star game seemed to be at its highest in the 70's, 80's and early early 90's. My memory is that a lot of people back then actually looked forward to the MLB All Star with the same level of anticipation as a playoff game. Skipping out of work early to fire up the grill before friends came over for dinner and to sit around the TV to watch the game. To me the MLB All Star game hasn't had that same level of magic for the last 30 years or so. Interleague play began in '97 but my memory is that the shine had already been wearing off the All Star game before then. Interleague play only hastened its demise, and to me the 2002 game was all but the death knell for the MLB All Star game.

The NBA All Star game has been unwatchable since at least the 1980's. There were a string of years in the 80's and early 90's where the dunk contest drew a lot of interest, but that was a long time ago. For at least the last 20 years the only time I see any portion of the dunk contest is with Sports Center highlights.

I didn't watch any of Daytona this year. For a lot of reasons, it just doesn't have the same draw for me as when I was younger. But I still carve out time to watch at least some of the Indy 500 every May. Regardless of the demise of MLB, the NBA and college basketball, the Indy 500 is the one sporting vestige from my childhood that still draws me back.

Last edited:
Reactions: SemperFiCat
The MLB All Star game seemed to be at its highest in the 70's, 80's and early early 90's. My memory is that a lot of people back then actually looked forward to the MLB All Star with the same level of anticipation as a playoff game. Skipping out of work early to fire up the grill before friends came over for dinner and to sit around the TV to watch the game. To me the MLB All Star game hasn't had that same level of magic for the last 30 years or so. Interleague play began in '97 but my memory is that the shine had already been wearing off the All Star game before then. Interleague play only hastened its demise, and to me the 2002 game was all but the death knell for the MLB All Star game.

The NBA All Star game has been unwatchable since at least the 1980's. There were a string of years in the 80's and early 90's where the dunk contest drew a lot of interest, but that was a long time ago. For at least the last 20 years the only time I see any portion of the dunk contest is with Sports Center highlights.

I didn't watch any of Daytona this year. For a lot of reasons, it just doesn't have the same draw for me as when I was younger. But I still carve out time to watch at least some of the Indy 500 every May. Regardless of the demise of MLB, the NBA and college basketball, the Indy 500 is the one sporting vestige from my childhood that still draws me back.
I agree that sports in general has lost some luster for me since the 1990s or early 2000s. That might be me just getting older and my priorities shifting and/or the increasing distance between the fans and the stars. Everything seemed less monetized in the past. Sure there were commercials and ball park fence adverts, but there wasn't a corporate logo on everything, players stayed with the same franchise longer (even a whole career), and sports in general seemed more focused on the fans than it does today. You also don't have the same charismatic stars as we did in yesteryear. Just looking at the sports you mentioned, there isn't a Pete Rose, Reggie Jackson, Ozzie Smith, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Dale Earnhardt, Rusty Wallace, etc. out there. I just don't find Aaron Judge, Lebron James, Jimmie Johnson, etc. as compelling. Again, this could just be the temporal distortion of time playing out. /shrug

It's not all bad, however. Going to sporting events has improved. There is a lot more to do at Great American Ballpark than Riverfront ever hoped to offer.

Reactions: Myth Buster51
I love the NBA. I watch it almost every night. The all star game is not really a game. It's just an exhibition. It doesn't excite me as a competition because it's not. It's like going to watch UK in the Bahamas. Just a celebration.

It's crazy how some shots have become part of the game now. Shots that would get you benched for taking back in my days.

I don't care much for the other activities of the week end anymore. They have even gimmicked up the 3 point contest. The dunk contest used to be a favorite but it's lost it's luster and the best players don't participate. Although McClung made this one interesting.

Lot of parity in the NBA this season. There's 5 or 6 teams at this point with a real shot at the title.
Six players shot 95% of the shots while the remaining players who play zero defense and never get a pass stand and watch. A waste of two plus hours. The only reason I watched it was because four UK players were on the roster. You could tell most of the players were just waiting for it to be over.
The CNBA is a total joke!

The NBA is absolute trash. Last game I went to I kept on falling asleep. Grizzlies vs. Celtics.

How anyone likes the NBA is beyond me. Worst sports league of them all. And that includes Hockey.

Cannot ever figure out what someone likes about it. And players are just jumping everywhere, there’s no loyalty or faces of the franchises, just nothing to stick to. Then the games are just trash.

I hear the Chinese like it. They should move it over there and let them have it.
Why would the CCP move the CNBA to China when they already own the players and controls the decisions that are made.

Reactions: Gromcat
Six players shot 95% of the shots while the remaining players who play zero defense and never get a pass stand and watch. A waste of two plus hours. The only reason I watched it was because four UK players were on the roster. You could tell most of the players were just waiting for it to be over.
It's been a joke for decades, but then again the NBA is basically a joke for the last 20 years.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Yeah. When the Pro Bowl became a joke they finally just went to flag football
And it actually made it better instead of pretending it was real football. At least the guys were trying to make plays since the risk of injury was lower. Had a backyard football feel.

NBA should go to 3 on 3 tournament or a 1v1 double elimination tournament. Throw in HORSE for one of the events. It would make it more relatable
I would love to see a game of Horse some of the shots would be cool

Reactions: EliteBlue
NBA died when Bird, Jordan and Magic retired those guys tried to win allstar games they could not stand to lose at anything. I tried to remain interested when Ja went in as I am from Murray and he does a lot of high wire acts, but it is mostly drive to paint kick it out for a three and that is not to much Basketball to me, I tried to watch a little of game last night after 3 minutes I had seen enough and went back to Gunsmoke reruns.
You forgot to mention when the CCP took over the decisions of the league and players.

I can't think of the last time I watched the NBA All-Star Game. I don't follow the NHL so I can't comment on that but the MLB All-Star Game is the only one watchable to me. The NBA All-Star Game is not entertaining and the Pro Bowl has been garbage for years. A glorified flag football game now.

Reactions: Myth Buster51
I can't think of the last time I watched the NBA All-Star Game. I don't follow the NHL so I can't comment on that but the MLB All-Star Game is the only one watchable to me. The NBA All-Star Game is not entertaining and the Pro Bowl has been garbage for years. A glorified flag football game now.

I’ve really gotten back into hockey. Loved the STL Blues as a kid and the Stanley cup was awesome. Sat about 18 rows up center ice for 250 for the family. The atmosphere is awesome. My kids love going to hockey games more than any event.

The Blues vs. Wild matchup is always hot. They seem to hate each other and play each other a lot. Lots of hard hits.

When they changed the overtime rules in hockey it was the best move they could have made. Overtime hockey is the best in sports now. Give it a shot.

I’ve really gotten back into hockey. Loved the STL Blues as a kid and the Stanley cup was awesome. Sat about 18 rows up center ice for 250 for the family. The atmosphere is awesome. My kids love going to hockey games more than any event.

The Blues vs. Wild matchup is always hot. They seem to hate each other and play each other a lot. Lots of hard hits.

When they changed the overtime rules in hockey it was the best move they could have made. Overtime hockey is the best in sports now. Give it a shot.
Sounds awesome! I've been looking for something different since the end of football and may have to start watching now.

Reactions: Gromcat
Sounds awesome! I've been looking for something different since the end of football and may have to start watching now.

I find that the key is

1. Pick a team you really like. Maybe from childhood and start paying attention to the details.

2. Pay attention to the rivalry game.

3. Wait for a close game you’re feeling into, with a player you’ve grown to like, and then overtime happens. Should seal the deal. Overtime hockey is like backyard hockey now.

Good luck hope you enjoy!

Cool aspect: the players don’t make a ton of money unless they’re the star. They play for winning and pride. It’s awesome.

I sorta enjoy the people who log on to complain and then randomly bring up China as if China is the reason the NBA All-Star game sucks. We get it - some can't go a day without screaming about China. Neat take I guess.

I don't typically watch the NBA, so I don't know if it sucks in general or not. My guess is not considering it's a collection of the best of the best the world has to offer. Some people are college people while others are pro people. Doesn't mean one or the other has to suck. We don't do this with football. We love both the college game and the NFL. Not sure why some in BBN have a disdain for the NBA.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I find that the key is

1. Pick a team you really like. Maybe from childhood and start paying attention to the details.

2. Pay attention to the rivalry game.

3. Wait for a close game you’re feeling into, with a player you’ve grown to like, and then overtime happens. Should seal the deal. Overtime hockey is like backyard hockey now.

Good luck hope you enjoy!

Cool aspect: the players don’t make a ton of money unless they’re the star. They play for winning and pride. It’s awesome.
Thank you @Gromcat, you have sold me on the NHL and the timing is right with football season over now. Would like to follow a team close by to drive and see on a regular basis. St. Louis & Nashville are the closest. Directv pushes the Blue Jackets on us in Central Kentucky. Definitely not interested in going to Columbus for an 18-34 team with Nashville 1.5 hours away and St. Louis just over 2.

Thank you @Gromcat, you have sold me on the NHL and the timing is right with football season over now. Would like to follow a team close by to drive and see on a regular basis. St. Louis & Nashville are the closest. Directv pushes the Blue Jackets on us in Central Kentucky. Definitely not interested in going to Columbus for an 18-34 team with Nashville 1.5 hours away and St. Louis just over 2.

I live 2.5 from Nashville and 3 from STL. I’m a huge cardinals fan and grew up liking the blues. So it was easy for me, always been a blues fan.

The blues have a lot of history with players like Gretzky, Hall, Ferderko etc. cool history with the Blackhawks rivalry.

Lots of people in my area like the Predators. They’ve got a fairly cool thing going, but I’m not a fan obviously. Turned into a bit of a rivalry with the blues. But downtown St. Louis goes blue for blues games, huge fan base. Predators are a team favorite for Nashville Natives.

Obviously I’d say the Blues, but maybe you’d sway Nashville. I’d check into both if you’re unsure.

The blues just traded Terasenko away and it killed me. He’s an upcoming stud. Oreilly too, he was the star for years. Looking like a rebuild.

s-l1600.jpg

Preds just don’t have the iconic sht like this 😃

Last edited:
My favorite fans on the internet - "The NBA sucks, I haven't watched it in 30 years."
Quote me where I said I haven’t watched it in 30 years. I obviously have seen enough of it to know the product is not enjoyable. If you are young, then this is all you know. I’m not young so I have other eras to compare it with and this era sucks ass.

Quote me where I said I haven’t watched it in 30 years. I obviously have seen enough of it to know the product is not enjoyable. If you are young, then this is all you know. I’m not young so I have other eras to compare it with and this era sucks ass.
I'm almost 50. Half the guys I watched in the NBA in the 80s wouldn't get D1 scholarship offers nowadays. The players are exponentially faster, stronger, and more athletic. The All Star game was trash like it always is, but the NBA product has never been better.

I'm almost 50. Half the guys I watched in the NBA in the 80s wouldn't get D1 scholarship offers nowadays. The players are exponentially faster, stronger, and more athletic. The All Star game was trash like it always is, but the NBA product has never been better.
As we've seen with UK, being athletic doesn't mean you're a good basketball player. Who was almost assuredly the least athletic guy on either squad? Only the 2-time (and odds on favorite right now to 3-peat) MVP, Nikola Jokic. There are a lot of guys in the NBA today who are genetic and athletic freaks who aren't that good at shooting, dribbling, defending, rebounding, etc. You know, the basic basketball skills.

When teams shoot 40+% of their shots from behind the arc, not sure I would agree that the NBA has never been better. Just my $0.02.

The best way to watch an NBA game (or a non-UK college game) is with a DVR. Wait until the game has been on for about an hour, then fast forward every time the clock isn't moving. Do you really need to see anyone shoot FTs? I follow the NBA until the NCAA is over, but don't watch much. Then you've got about a week or two to watch the final regular season games and into the playoffs.

The dunk competition was flat out AMAZING this year. It had sucked for about 5 years but all the guy not just Maclung did great in it this year. Literally saved it from being cancelled going forward. All Star games are what they are .
A little hyperbole eh? There's been no discussion by the NBA of cancelling the dunk contest.

The NBA All Star Game is just there to celebrate the game and let you see basketball stars that are bigger than life. Kinda like going to a Marvel Super Heroes convention and seeing The Hulk only lift a volkswagon over his head rather than a bulldozer. You get to see that these freaks of nature actually have a human side to them. Loved the miced up players segments. They were better than the game itself.

Yeah. When the Pro Bowl became a joke they finally just went to flag football
And it actually made it better instead of pretending it was real football. At least the guys were trying to make plays since the risk of injury was lower. Had a backyard football feel.

NBA should go to 3 on 3 tournament or a 1v1 double elimination tournament. Throw in HORSE for one of the events. It would make it more relatable

Thatd be super fun to watch actually but HORSE would have to be actual crazy shots because otherwise most guys can make unguarded shots with their eyes closed. I'd love a half court 3v3 or 2v2 game.

Reactions: EliteBlue

Columbus and Nashville games are blacked out in Lexington a lot, total joke. It's not like either is in an easy drive.

The best way to watch an NBA game (or a non-UK college game) is with a DVR. Wait until the game has been on for about an hour, then fast forward every time the clock isn't moving. Do you really need to see anyone shoot FTs? I follow the NBA until the NCAA is over, but don't watch much. Then you've got about a week or two to watch the final regular season games and into the playoffs.
If the weather is nice, I watch UK's day games by recording them. I can zip through a game in under an hour. I hate investing 2 hours and 15 minutes to watch a 40 minute game where most of the "action" is dominated by the officials whistle, officials reviews and coaches calling all of their timeouts in the final 3 minutes. College basketball is a terrible product right now and in desperate need an officiating and rules overhaul, but that needs an entirely different thread.

Thatd be super fun to watch actually but HORSE would have to be actual crazy shots because otherwise most guys can make unguarded shots with their eyes closed. I'd love a half court 3v3 or 2v2 game.
Yeah. I think a double elimination 1v1 tournament would be cool or a big3 style 3on3 if the stars were scared of getting punked 1v1 on national TV.

I’d imagine horse would be a lot of half/full court plus dudeperfect style trick shots. The catch would be if you allowed dunks or not as that gives an easy advantage to the dunkers over the shooters. I’d say no dunks. But make the dunk competition finals a horse style finals. Maybe “DOG or PIG” where they have to copy the other guys dunk on the fly. Adds an importance on first try makes too

Reactions: Catzman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT