ADVERTISEMENT

The 1998 championship team

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
Re-watching that great run against Duke, Stanford and Utah. Man, what a team. They were so deep. Only one NBA All-Star on that squad and it was Jamal Magloire.

That was a complete team who could shoot and had bigs.

A couple of things I had forgotten, Tubby didn’t allow facial hair. Cameron Mills has actually played a bigger role in 1997 despite being known for his big shots against Duke and Utah.

We actually got down 12 in the second half yet won by nine. They had so much energy, so quick, three senior leaders, two NBA centers who stayed three and four years and a power forward who could go inside and shoot from three.

Easily my favorite title team in our history. What comes to mind for you about that team and season?

Still love that team. The comeback Cats. Down 17 to Duke in secon half in elite 8 game and came back and won. I think we were down 10 to Utah at the half and came back and won the title. Do not know if we were clearly the best college team that year but got the championship anyway. I don't think that has happened any other time that I remember.

Reactions: 65pacecar
That was the true definition of a team! They weren't the most talented guys in the world, but they were great college players who were experienced, knew how to win, and just weren't gonna be denied.

What sticks out to me about 1998 is that it was totally unexpected. We knew they were good, but there were more talented teams. Arizona returned all 5 starters from a national title team. UNC was coming off a Final Four and had junior versions of Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. Both were absolute studs. Duke had experience and a stud class of Brand-Battier-Avery. I believe Kansas still had Paul Pierce and Raef LaFrentz. So yeah, the run basically cemented UK as the team of the 90’s. Sorry Dukies!

They rope a doped like mf’ers those last three games. Prior to that, they developed an identity as a peddle to metal power team. Magloire, Mohammed, Padgett, and Evans was a truly great front court. Mohammed and Magloire could bang (Magloire was Cousins level physical but for four years). Padgett and Evans both had inside/outside games and were plus rebounders.

Reminds me that a lot of Cal’s teams get gassed. Freshmen don’t have the level of conditioning that upperclassmen in a Pitino conditioning program have. That team didn’t get gassed. Duke had a lot of freshmen on that team (Brand, Avery, Battier), and they faded down the stretch. Tubby’s lone freshman recruit, Saul Smith, became his only signee to play in the Final Four.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
<<===================== see my avatar

That shot was the single greatest sport-high I've ever had in my entire life. I almost fainted.

It was pure, unadulterated sweet ecstasy.

If I ever meet Scott Padgett in real life I'm going to tell him all about it.

He’s my favorite college player ever as well. Why Cameron Mills’ shot is the one that gets framed and talked about is beyond me considering Padgett’s shot was the game-winner.

Reactions: UK34 and CUJO_1970
my favorite
BKy3ZipCcAEHrlu.jpg

<<===================== see my avatar

That shot was the single greatest sport-high I've ever had in my entire life. I almost fainted.

It was pure, unadulterated sweet ecstasy.

If I ever meet Scott Padgett in real life I'm going to tell him all about it.
I’m sure he was there.

Well coached.
That was Tubby's shining moment. I do think his coaching was brilliant but the players had something to do with that too.
I was very glad to see him go because of his recruiting . His style of play was not attractive to 5 star recruits. I will be very sad to see Cal go because he's the right personality for the job. He will reinvent himself and things will improve. If there are recruits being bought to play elsewhere, they were not too smart to take the money and lose their integrity. I'd rather lose with an honest program than have championships handed to me.BTW
I hate losing.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Re-watching that great run against Duke, Stanford and Utah. Man, what a team. They were so deep. Only one NBA All-Star on that squad and it was Jamal Magloire.

A couple of things I had forgotten, Tubby didn’t allow facial hair. Cameron Mills has actually played a bigger role in 1997 despite being known for his big shots against Duke and Utah.

We actually got down 12 in the second half yet won by nine. They had so much energy, so quick, three senior leaders, two NBA centers who stayed three and four years and a power forward who could go inside and shoot from three.

Easily my favorite title team in our history. What comes to mind for you about that team and season?
Scott Padgett had a nice NBA career and a good basketball coach now at Samford.

78'96'12'98 for me 2 of witch I got to watch live win the title

Cameron Mills did a documentary on the 1998 team that I got to watch over the weekend. That will always be my favorite team during my lifetime.

This is a forgotten gem during that season.

Nazr buzzer beater and then everyone goes nuts and immediately runs off the court. HAHA

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Cameron Mills did a documentary on the 1998 team that I got to watch over the weekend. That will always be my favorite team during my lifetime.

This is a forgotten gem during that season.

Nazr buzzer beater and then everyone goes nuts and immediately runs off the court. HAHA
I’ll never forget watching that one live. Back in the True Blue Kentucky days, I posted that video as a reminder of that game. Nazr actually commented on it saying it was his favorite shot he’s ever hit in his life.

Still love that team. The comeback Cats. Down 17 to Duke in secon half in elite 8 game and came back and won. I think we were down 10 to Utah at the half and came back and won the title. Do not know if we were clearly the best college team that year but got the championship anyway. I don't think that has happened any other time that I remember.
Down double digits in the second half of each of the last three games.

Basketball IQ matters. Half of that team is in the coaching business now. Edwards, Padgett, Turner, Magloire, Smith, Massiello, and Nazr's a scout.
It is amazing. I always think of the 1998 team and the 1992 team as great teams. Good individual talent, but when together a great team. Look at the basketball IQ on the bench and on the court on the 1992 squad too

Billy Donovan
Herb Syndek
John Pelphrey
Sean Woods
Dale Brown
Travis Ford

I think it's weird that Arizona ran us out of the gym at the Maui Classic and then gets loses to Utah by 25 in the Elite Eight while we beat them by nine. So weird. I know one was at the start of the season and the other was at the end but a defending champ who returned everybody getting beaten by 25? Crazy.

Our six game run is broken up into two sections
First three games- Absolutely embarrassed our opponents
Last three games- Dramatic comebacks

Look at our last six games before the Elite Eight match with Duke. We won by an average of 22.3 ppg.

Kentucky vs. Alabama W 82 - 71 SEC Tournament (at Atlanta, GA)
Kentucky vs. Arkansas W 99 - 74 SEC Tournament (at Atlanta, GA)
Kentucky vs. South Carolina W 86 - 56 SEC Tournament Championship (at Atlanta, GA)
Kentucky vs. South Carolina State W 82 - 67 NCAA South Regional First Round (at Atlanta, GA)
Kentucky vs. St. Louis W 88 - 61 NCAA South Regional Second Round (at Atlanta, GA)
Kentucky vs. UCLA W 94 - 68

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatwelder
This thread is a breath of fresh air. Most times I read that Tubby just rolled the balls out and anyone could have coached that team. Tubby can coach, he just can't recruit. That was not the most talented team.

Reactions: treyforuk
Crazy how things have changed in terms of what gets you a one seed.

In 1998, these were the records of the one and two seeds going into the tourney
#1 UNC-30-3
#1 Kansas 34-3
#1 Duke 29-3
#1 Arizona 27-4
#2 Kentucky 29-4
#2 UConn 29-4
#2 Cinci 26-5
#2 Purdue 26-7

In 2018, a 27-7 Kansas gets a one seed.

98 was a great team. I still have a soft spot for the 02-03 team that went undefeated in SEC play at 16-0. The interior passing and half court defense were a thing of beauty. Never cared for Tub's offense or pace of play but he could coach half court defense.

Lots of myths surrounding that team. First of all they were an early favorite behind a handful of teams. In hindsight, that team was one of the best of the season. NBA players, upperclassmen, great guard play, great bigs. Just a complete team, and the only reason we call them the comeback cats was because Tubby was coaching them. Of course he had them trailing all the time.

The players won that title, Tubby gets way too much credit when it comes down to it. The players made the big plays, they had to overcome him in some respects.

It was a great team and I wish the idea that they weren't would die. It's used as a way to bolster Smith and it's simply not true.

Reactions: kev69
ADVERTISEMENT