ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A & M baseball stadium.

irishcat1965

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2012
A courthouse near you
I googled their baseball facilities. Wow! What an unbelievable stadium. UK really needs to step up its game in providing the bat cats a top notch facility.

Why spend money that nobody seems to have these days when what the team has is more than enough for the fans that show up? The economy doesn't Support the build it and they will come dream these days. If they can do things for the players then that would be money well spent. They deserve support.

There is SUPPOSED to be one on the drawing board to be built near the new Softball stadium somewhere near Alumni Drive. The Baseball folks have been MORE than patient enough concerning this stadium. It is time to step up and get er' done !

Originally posted by blue12:
Why spend money that nobody seems to have these days when what the team has is more than enough for the fans that show up? The economy doesn't Support the build it and they will come dream these days. If they can do things for the players then that would be money well spent. They deserve support.
i understand your logic, but if you look around our league and see the palaces at places like South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, and A&M, then it's easy to see what a recruiting disadvantage the Cliff is for us. You're already fighting perceptions on the recruiting trail (fan apathy, northernmost school in the league, etc), so this is one that we can fix if we spend the money on it.

Originally posted by STUCKNBIG10:

i understand your logic, but if you look around our league and see the palaces at places like South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, and A&M, then it's easy to see what a recruiting disadvantage the Cliff is for us. You're already fighting perceptions on the recruiting trail (fan apathy, northernmost school in the league, etc), so this is one that we can fix if we spend the money on it.
EXACTLY.....Well said !!

If we were not getting top rated recruiting classes for the past several years I would agree with "issues" on the recruiting trail but the truth is the recruiting classes have been strong going back to when Cohen was here. They are just not living up to their rankings, many feel the coaching has something to do with that.

Between the coaching and the way fans are treated at the park, that is why fans don't show up. Baseball needs to take a chapter out of coach Stoops book on addressing some of the fan issues and the attendance would pick up. Until you start having better than 40% of the stadium capacity it will be hard to justify a new stadium. When I say 40% I mean actual people in the seats not just ticket sales. Look at the last home series on Saturday night the grandstand was never more than about 1/3 full at its peak and on the party deck at one time there was more UK staff than fans. That's got to change before things happen.

The best actual chance for a new stadium is the fact some at UK would like to have the location of Hagan for dorms or maybe parking. That might actually be the best chance the program has for upgrades in the near future. Believe me as someone who has misses very few home games going back to the Madison days, I would love to see improvements I just don't see the drive or leadership in the program to get it done any time soon.

Originally posted by STUCKNBIG10:

You're already fighting perceptions on the recruiting trail (fan apathy, northernmost school in the league, etc), so this is one that we can fix if we spend the money on it.
Actually, we are no longer the northernmost school in the league. I was curious so I looked it up and Mizzou is about 64 miles further north than UK is. But they are not a baseball powerhouse either.

With all due respect...Here we go again!!!...Did you not just read what a&m's bb stadium looks like ...SEC baseball is BIG TIME...I am pretty sure the money is going to come from private funding so why not do it!!!!...Hell, the government waste money on some of the stupidest stuff in the world so what can't a baseball stadium be built with money that WILL BE PAID BACK!!!...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:

Originally posted by TruBluCatFan:
If we get a new stadium can it not be named after someone known for basketball.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
AMEN to that ! It should be named after a player, Coach, or a benefactor.
Agree with this in principle, but "THE CLIFF" has become a good nickname for the bb field

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:
Originally posted by CloverforkCat:

Originally posted by TruBluCatFan:
If we get a new stadium can it not be named after someone known for basketball.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
AMEN to that ! It should be named after a player, Coach, or a benefactor.
Agree with this in principle, but "THE CLIFF" has become a good nickname for the bb field
Yes it has, it was named after Hagan when he was the AD. He did renovate the entire stadium, but he didn't play baseball at UK. Ironically C M Newton did however, but he didn't play Football ie C M Newton field.

We definitely need an upgrade for our stadium. It doesn't have to be Texas A&M amazing, but it does need to be modernized and spruced up. Look around the league and all the stadiums are extremely nice and I think we really do lag behind in ours.

Check out this link of the best baseball stadiums in college baseball. Included on it are: Texas A&M, LSU, South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Auburn, and even Louisville. That is a whole lot of great stadiums in our league, and our area, and we have to compete on the recruiting trail against all of them. Even the ones not on the list, like Tennessee, have very nice recently renovated stadiums. We don't need something big to sit a ton of fans, but having a great and unique stadium along with a competitive team can really put butts in the seats.

http://recruitingcycle.com/top-college-baseball-stadiums-2013/

I have never been to Legend's field, but have heard it is really nice ...What about something like that and what is the seating capacity there?

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
We definitely need an upgrade for our stadium. It doesn't have to be Texas A&M amazing, but it does need to be modernized and spruced up. Look around the league and all the stadiums are extremely nice and I think we really do lag behind in ours.

Check out this link of the best baseball stadiums in college baseball. Included on it are: Texas A&M, LSU, South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Auburn, and even Louisville. That is a whole lot of great stadiums in our league, and our area, and we have to compete on the recruiting trail against all of them. Even the ones not on the list, like Tennessee, have very nice recently renovated stadiums. We don't need something big to sit a ton of fans, but having a great and unique stadium along with a competitive team can really put butts in the seats.
I went to the UK game at IU last month and their new stadium is very nice. I hear that Purdue has a nice new stadium, too. That's pretty sad when the friggin' Big 10 has nicer stadiums than we do. Not exact a powerhouse conference for baseball.

I have never been to Legend's field, but have heard it is really nice ...What about something like that and what is the seating capacity there?
That is actually probably too big for what UK needs. Whitaker Bank Ballpark holds almost 7,000 people. UK needs maybe around 4,000 tops. I would love to see UK build a new and unique stadium though. Unique settings are always great in my opinion. Here are a couple:

p7090054.jpg.w560h420.jpg
Memphis Redbirds Stadium

Oglethorpe University's stadium. This one kind of sits in a hole and all the seats are concrete benches. Small D-3 university, but cool stadium

travel_riverwalk_800.jpg

Riverwalk Stadium, home of the Montgomery Biscuits. Trains go by in the outfield and blow their whistles and the first base side of the stadium (seen here) was adapted out of the old train station.

Plus check out the link. I would just love to see UK build a stadium that isn't just drab and boring like Turner Field, but is actually something people want to come and enjoy. That is how Riverwalk Stadium is. I loved it. But Smokies Stadium in Tennessee is the exact opposite. It is close to me and I don't enjoy it as much because it just doesn't have the same great feel that Riverwalk does.

Top 25 Minor League Parks

CB3...Disagree with you ...Stadium should be at best 6K for seating...Remember FOD...build it and they will come...If you are going to do it do it right...Would save time and money down the road if more seating is needed when the program takes off...
3dgrin.r191677.gif
plus a better chance of holding regionals and such...

Just play at legends field. Coastal Carolina had played at te Pelicans ball park the last two years while theirs has been completely renovated.

CB3...Disagree with you ...Stadium should be at best 6K for seating...Remember FOD...build it and they will come...If you are going to do it do it right...Would save time and money down the road if more seating is needed when the program takes off...
3dgrin.r191677.gif
plus a better chance of holding regionals and such...
Well I think I would try to design a stadium that would be expanded relatively easily. Also, I would only have about 4,000 seats, which is about 1,000 more than we have now. Then you have it set up where you have room to accommodate people to bring their own chairs or something like that. Like stadiums that have a grassy area to sit on. Such as the Lexington Legends field... that has only like 7,000 seats, but they put over 9,000 into the stadium for a game at one point. UK should aim to do the same. Just my opinion though.

Originally posted by EliteBlue:
Just play at legends field. Coastal Carolina had played at te Pelicans ball park the last two years while theirs has been completely renovated.
I am sure that could be arranged, if they intended to renovate the Cliff. However I believe the plan is to build a new stadium near the UK softball stadium somewhere near Alumni drive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT