ADVERTISEMENT

Temper Your Expectations

Jan 21, 2013
While things on paper look great and Pope's enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air the reality is we don't know how this will translate on the court. It would be awesome for this to be a dream season, but if it's not, please don't go trashing Pope. I personally think our shooting will carry us to at least 20 wins and I'd be super happy with a sweet sixteen. There is a possibility of an early exit again and I don't want to see this board turn on Pope. He needs at least 3 years to get a judgement on him. Should be an exciting season nonetheless and I can't wait for it to start. Go CATS!!!!!

While things on paper look great and Pope's enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air the reality is we don't know how this will translate on the court. It would be awesome for this to be a dream season, but if it's not, please don't go trashing Pope. I personally think our shooting will carry us to at least 20 wins and I'd be super happy with a sweet sixteen. There is a possibility of an early exit again and I don't want to see this board turn on Pope. He needs at least 3 years to get a judgement on him. Should be an exciting season nonetheless and I can't wait for it to start. Go CATS!!!!!
He will certainly do better than 9-16.

Anyone thinking “title or bust” this season is crazy.

I do expect us to be competitive and not get blown out in any game. I just think Pope is too good for that.

I expect 20 wins at minimum though. There’s too much experience in this team not to at least get to that waterline.

Anyone thinking “title or bust” this season is crazy.

I do expect us to be competitive and not get blown out in any game. I just think Pope is too good for that.

I expect 20 wins at minimum though. There’s too much experience in this team not to at least get to that waterline.
Where do we fall in the SEC IYO?

I expect the women to finish higher than the men. Just not sure how good the men's defense will be but it'll be key.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm sure we're all gonna have our usual ups and downs this season. We're gonna be upset with Pope and we're gonna love him at other points. That's just life as a UK fan. Even when we SAY we don't expect perfection, we still want to win every game. The good news is, I don't expect to hear a bunch of excuses out of Pope. I expect a lot of "this is what happened, this is what we need to do better." And then I expect to see the team get better and I'll be fine. 👍

I have high expectations for this year but I don’t have consequences on standby if he comes up short. On paper this team is top 10 at end of year and deep run, but if it doesn’t happen I’m not gonna riot.

Reactions: clifm and BucN1Cat
I've really not seen anything that warrants this post. Very little criticism of Pope. Reasonable expectations. Everybody pretty much worrying about everyone else.
That's my point. Everything is roses as of now because we haven't played a single game. Just trying to prepare for the possibility of things going wrong and the bashing Pope begins. Hopefully it all works out great though.

It would be nice to win the games we are suppose to win, and maybe pull an upset or two.

I expect to win around 20. Any more than that is a plus.

Reactions: clifm
That's my point. Everything is roses as of now because we haven't played a single game. Just trying to prepare for the possibility of things going wrong and the bashing Pope begins. Hopefully it all works out great though.
I think it would take a great deal to get fans to turn on Pope in his first season. Like, uncharacteristic levels of poor preparation and other stuff that we haven't heard about at BYU coming to surface here. I just don't see it, personally.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I expect us to be good, but I'm totally fine if we don't live up to my expectations this year, I'm just ready for the long overdue new direction of the program.

I think my expectations are fairly reasonable, to be better than last year. As long as we don't decline Pope will have my support which means we only need to make the NCAA tournament. If we don't make the NCAA tournament though Pope will have lost the support of at least this fan.

I have high expectations for this year but I don’t have consequences on standby if he comes up short. On paper this team is top 10 at end of year and deep run, but if it doesn’t happen I’m not gonna riot.
There you go. This team on paper does not look like a top 10. You are putting expectations out that simply are not doable. Quotes like yours is so unfair for Pope. We have no better chance to be top 10 than to win a national championship this year. We don't have the players that have years of playing together. UConn wins with two to three players with several years playing together. This is the exact reason Cal ran off the track. He never had kids multiple years playing together. If the USA Olympic team had been the Celtics, they would have won the GOLD easier than the teams of All stars. Our kids are going to have a scant few months together. I think they will and can be competitive but not elite this season.

I was disappointed when AD B. didnt really tried to hire Billy Donovan.

With Pope we have to be patient if we want him to succeed. First two years are to rebuild, implement his system and recruit, third year and fourth year we should see some success.

This year , will be tough to make the NCAA tournament. There are so many good teams in SeC , plus the games against Duke, Gonzaga, @Clemson, against Ohio State and UL. We could easily lose 10 plus games…

The key is not turn against the team and Coach Pope and give him time to rebuild the program.

There you go. This team on paper does not look like a top 10. You are putting expectations out that simply are not doable. Quotes like yours is so unfair for Pope. We have no better chance to be top 10 than to win a national championship this year. We don't have the players that have years of playing together. UConn wins with two to three players with several years playing together. This is the exact reason Cal ran off the track. He never had kids multiple years playing together. If the USA Olympic team had been the Celtics, they would have won the GOLD easier than the teams of All stars. Our kids are going to have a scant few months together. I think they will and can be competitive but not elite this season.
Can you name one team that will have a better bench than Kentucky?
Butler and Oweh best defensive backcourt in the country?
Carr is an all-SEC forward?
Garrison is a top 15 NBA draft pick talent?
Kriisa, Brea, Robinson and Perry all shoot 40% from 3?

I think you’re wrong. I think they are a top 10 by the end of the year. We will see how it goes, but stop crying. Even Pope made it clear he knows what the mission is. I clearly said I wouldn’t be mad if we don’t. Cal ran off the track because he was a narcissist and thought he was bigger than the program. You seem to only handle things if people agree.

Can you name one team that will have a better bench than Kentucky?
Butler and Oweh best defensive backcourt in the country?
Carr is an all-SEC forward?
Garrison is a top 15 NBA draft pick talent?
Kriisa, Brea, Robinson and Perry all shoot 40% from 3?
This is a top 10 team after they gel. It might be quicker than we think. Ignore the negative Nancy types, some of them are Cal huggers hoping Pope fails.

From the media appearances of Coach Pope I believe the team is behind compared to what was expected. It’s not hard to understand why, new team, takes time to learn a new offensive system, especially a complex one.It’s going to take even longer to master the defense.
As this team does not have star players , their success or lack of it will be tied to how well they play as a team and do the little things : rebounding, effort, executing sets, staying in front of their player. Etc. that usually takes time….

I wish Coach Pope would have not announced that we are going for number 9 this year. Expectations are so unrealistically set… and will make his job so much more difficult for the years to come. He needs time and patience..

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'm not gonna lie. If we don't beat everyone I think we should which is probably Zags in Seattle, a couple top SEC teams road games, maybe @Clemson, etc. No reason to be UK's coach with all this experience, 6 super seniors another regular senior, this many defensive standouts, this many good 3 point shooter's. Not have his team ready to compete with a game plan and solid adjustments every game. At least not win every game but be competitive in every game. Making 5.5 mil and knowing the assignment from day 1. I'm gonna be pissed.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT