ADVERTISEMENT

tech/phone question

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
So, when I type this in Bing, I can't summarize it in few enough words for it to understand my question. Thought I'd ask here.

When on the phone with my girlfriend and she is driving, why can't I hear her phone gps directing her. Similarly, today she had her alarm go off on her phone while we were talking, and I couldn't hear that. Basically, any sound her phone generates for her to hear, is not transported over the call, but I can still other background noises at the same time (like road noise). How!!?

So, when I type this in Bing, I can't summarize it in few enough words for it to understand my question. Thought I'd ask here.

When on the phone with my girlfriend and she is driving, why can't I hear her phone gps directing her. Similarly, today she had her alarm go off on her phone while we were talking, and I couldn't hear that. Basically, any sound her phone generates for her to hear, is not transported over the call, but I can still other background noises at the same time (like road noise). How!!?

Does she use Bluetooth? If yes, then there is your answer.

Your phones are probably set to mute notifications when on a call. Mutes it to the person not getting the notification.

If she connects her phone to Bluetooth inside the vehicle and uses the GPS on the phone to navigate then you would not hear her directions while talking with her. She is only hearing those through BT connection with phone.

However, if she is using navigation built into vehicle and Bluetooth connected for calls through phone you would hear the directions in background because the phone isn't the source of the navigation.

As another poster stated regarding alarms, notifications, etc..these are likely either set to silent or a there is a priority set in settings on phone to not disturb during phone calls.

Reactions: catlanta33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT