ADVERTISEMENT

Team Practice at Drake's Crib

Cal fans are too quick to forget that with that single title, it also includes the worst season in the history of the program, worst single loss, Kansas passing us in all time wins and a host of other issues as coach.

For the past several years, Cal is writing checks with his mouth that his coaching ability can't cash. The revenge tour comes to mind.

People can talk about the down years with Coach K, but history proves he adjusted, adapted and continually returned back to form.

Right now, many people are high with this team thinking its a throw back to to the early Cal era. To lead with "so if Cal were to win a title this year" highlights that. I'm guessing you'll argue otherwise but if fits the tone of the board lately.

The problem is every year the fans rationalize some set of data points to proclaim that this is the year.

I expect this year to be better than last year, but the bar is set pretty low for that. But there is nothing that leads me to believe we are closer to a title game, and its more likely yet another season of Cal defending his decisions and coaching ability after a few key losses, a mass exodus of players at the end of the season and fans frustrated on what might have been if the Coach put more effort into program continuity.

Then the fanbase will get to hear about how great the next group of recruits will be , forget about last year because its obvious why we weren't going to win with that group, but this year....ahhh...this year, its different

In the end analysis, even if Cal were to get this figured out, I think I can make a pretty strong argument the damage done to the program in the meantime wasn't worth it. Short of multiple titles, its definitely not worth it.
Bro….back away from the edge!!! Goodness! So, if you think if we were to win the title this year that it still wouldn’t be worth it? Cmon bro, check back into reality here?

Reactions: thedahc
Cal fans are too quick to forget that with that single title, it also includes the worst season in the history of the program, worst single loss, Kansas passing us in all time wins and a host of other issues as coach.

For the past several years, Cal is writing checks with his mouth that his coaching ability can't cash. The revenge tour comes to mind.

People can talk about the down years with Coach K, but history proves he adjusted, adapted and continually returned back to form.

Right now, many people are high with this team thinking its a throw back to to the early Cal era. To lead with "so if Cal were to win a title this year" highlights that. I'm guessing you'll argue otherwise but if fits the tone of the board lately.

The problem is every year the fans rationalize some set of data points to proclaim that this is the year.

I expect this year to be better than last year, but the bar is set pretty low for that. But there is nothing that leads me to believe we are closer to a title game, and its more likely yet another season of Cal defending his decisions and coaching ability after a few key losses, a mass exodus of players at the end of the season and fans frustrated on what might have been if the Coach put more effort into program continuity.

Then the fanbase will get to hear about how great the next group of recruits will be , forget about last year because its obvious why we weren't going to win with that group, but this year....ahhh...this year, its different

In the end analysis, even if Cal were to get this figured out, I think I can make a pretty strong argument the damage done to the program in the meantime wasn't worth it. Short of multiple titles, its definitely not worth it.

See I think the big Cal detractors are too quick to switch THEIR data points on why they want Cal gone yesterday. This exact convo.. it started with Cal having one title, and then a few of us reply "well a lot of our great coaches only have a title" and then it changes to the awful season or Kansas passing us in wins. It will always be something. Even if we had a great last few years, some would say "well he only won a few final 4s, and still has just one title". I don't know if that's just unreasonably high expectations for a sport that is totally changed from the 50s.. or an onset distaste of Cal when we hired him.. or maybe both.

Idk I think even the past couple of years, as down as Kentucky was.. it doesn't just overshadow the return to prominence under Cal (UK was really nothing in 2009), two title game appearances, four final 4s, like 6 Elite 8s, no bad tournament losses..

At the same time, we're still in this bad stretch until proven otherwise. And it has to end soon. And even then, I still don't really love the idea of Cal being the coach here for the next 4 or 5 years. I still think it's time for him to move onto a different side of college basketball while Kentucky looks foe its next coach for the next 10 to 12 years. Even winning a title this year doesn't really change that for me right away either.. I'd need to see what Cal is bringing in next year to make me think "ok. He adjusted".

This is the stuff that comes along with Cal that doesn't come along with other coaches.

He will crush recruiting and he will crush celeb connections & NBA connections like no other coach in America.

You may not like his lack of inbounds plays, but this stuff does matter when trying to attract top-level talent.
Because all that has absolutely paid off....with 1 title.

See I think the big Cal detractors are too quick to switch THEIR data points on why they want Cal gone yesterday. This exact convo.. it started with Cal having one title, and then a few of us reply "well a lot of our great coaches only have a title" and then it changes to the awful season or Kansas passing us in wins. It will always be something. Even if we had a great last few years, some would say "well he only won a few final 4s, and still has just one title". I don't know if that's just unreasonably high expectations for a sport that is totally changed from the 50s.. or an onset distaste of Cal when we hired him.. or maybe both.

Idk I think even the past couple of years, as down as Kentucky was.. it doesn't just overshadow the return to prominence under Cal (UK was really nothing in 2009), two title game appearances, four final 4s, like 6 Elite 8s, no bad tournament losses..

At the same time, we're still in this bad stretch until proven otherwise. And it has to end soon. And even then, I still don't really love the idea of Cal being the coach here for the next 4 or 5 years. I still think it's time for him to move onto a different side of college basketball while Kentucky looks foe its next coach for the next 10 to 12 years. Even winning a title this year doesn't really change that for me right away either.. I'd need to see what Cal is bringing in next year to make me think "ok. He adjusted".
Or, and I'll save a few words here, his coaching skills are subpar.

you think Hall was praised for just winning one? Pitino left at the top of his game and the team the following year won a national title.

if anything, the fans are absolutely consistent.

this issue isn't about the one and done - that is Cal's choice of how he tries to win (assuming he is trying)

at the end of the day its about results, whether he goes with one and done, 4 year guys or grad student transfers, the measure for success is titles, he's now been here longer than any coach not named Rupp.
The fact that you put "assuming he's trying" about Cal trying to win undercuts all your points as it outs you as just a hater.

That's one of the dumbest go to arguments I see from the Cal haters "Cal doesn't even want to win"

There are legitimate complaints to be had, but saying Cal doesn't want to win is just the unhinged ramblings of the Cal deranged

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

In the end analysis, even if Cal were to get this figured out, I think I can make a pretty strong argument the damage done to the program in the meantime wasn't worth it. Short of multiple titles, it’s definitely not worth it.
You must be a depressing dude in real life..

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
This is the stuff that comes along with Cal that doesn't come along with other coaches.

He will crush recruiting and he will crush celeb connections & NBA connections like no other coach in America.

You may not like his lack of inbounds plays, but this stuff does matter when trying to attract top-level talent.
And all that "coolness" has won how many titles while at UK? 1

How many losing seasons?

Missed tournaments?

Early flameouts?

Losses at home to chump teams?

If you look at coach K he averaged a title roughly every decade.

When you talk about being the gold standard and you "eat first', then you take the expectations you create.
While at pUKe it was a title every 8.4 years. 5 titles over 42 years

You must be a depressing dude in real life..
I don't think he's depressing....he's realistically evaluated the program.

If anyone can honestly say the years since 2015 have been good......then we have a different definition of what is good for the program.

Sorry if already mentioned but sportscenter did 30 seconds about it in the morning show to take Cal’s local flex and make it somewhat of a national flex.

The fact that you put "assuming he's trying" about Cal trying to win undercuts all your points as it outs you as just a hater.

That's one of the dumbest go to arguments I see from the Cal haters "Cal doesn't even want to win"

There are legitimate complaints to be had, but saying Cal doesn't want to win is just the unhinged ramblings of the Cal deranged
First, I didn't say Cal doesn't want to win.

No one can tell me he is doing all he can to win, or prioritizing winning over his other goals- hence the statement, I doubt you'll find many people who actually do make that argument and for even some of the more denser ones, the Shaedon Sharpe fiasco cemented it.

That is a legitimate complaint, and all the cool visits to Disney star turned rapper's house won't change that.

So when you say its a dumb argument, at least use the correct argument.

Last edited:

Left out the 2013 trip to the NIT and loss to Robert Morris. And a loss to pUKe. Heck of a year that was.

I didn't change the data points, I pointed out that the damage he has done is going to require mutliple titles, not just another to make up for it. I made a point of referencing that in the last sentence.

what I particularly notice about Cal supporters is that at some point, they'll cross over, but only then will , according to their logic, Cal did enough to make them decide he shouldn't be coach, and suddenly they can't say enough about why he shouldn't be here, and they'll start every post with "I used to be a big Cal supporter but..."

The return to prominence as you put it was great, but the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction, fan apathy is the worst I've ever seen it for the program, they can't fill Rupp, we don't win the SEC with any regularity, and I've already listed all the other issues.

A Cal supporter will be quick to talk about how fans change, etc, yet here we are - July 16, on a message board talking about basketball. The fans haven't changed. Cal has changed the program to something they don't recognize anymore, and if I seem bitter about it, its because I am.

Salivating over what a great marketer Cal is for taking the team to Drake's house to me just proves how disconnected people are to where the program really is. I'm certainly at the "get off my lawn" stage of my life, but that allows to me to realize what is fool's gold and what isn't.

We are coming off 2 years where Cal had veteran players, NBA draft picks and the NPOY, and that netted us a single tournament win, and now we're arguing about him winning a title after taking the team to Drake's house.

I guess that is what I love about UK fans

Last edited:
Reactions: ruppcat
Bro….back away from the edge!!! Goodness! So, if you think if we were to win the title this year that it still wouldn’t be worth it? Cmon bro, check back into reality here?
bro twice eh?

Yea, winning a title would go a long way in helping the fans, but lets match that up with Cal following that with a stretch where we have another 7 years like we've just had? That's not a program defined by greatness.

I, for one, am glad you two curmudgeons came in to correct everything. People were enjoying themselves way too much, and as we all know... You just can't have that.

Thank you for your service, for not shutting the smurf up and letting people just have a bit of fun.

He’s not adjusted his approach or mindset or focus. And he’s not going to nor should he.

He tweaks a few things here and there as the world changes around us.

But in this “awful” era as the CHC wants to portray it we lost in overtime of the E8 game in ‘19.

Had a most likely FF team in ‘20 that didn’t get to play. Won the regular season SEC by 3 games.

‘21 was truly awful. But maybe the worldwide pandemic was a factor?

‘22 was a 2 seed. Terrible upset in the tournament but the season still earned a 2 seed.

‘23 was a good, not great team.

Cal went back to his stated mission of bringing in the “best of the best”.

They have just scratched the surface in Canada.

Cal is not going anywhere for many years and he’s not changing his basic approach.

People can get on board or they can wallow in misery.

It’s a choice.

He’s not adjusted his approach or mindset or focus. And he’s not going to nor should he.

He tweaks a few things here and there as the world changes around us.

But in this “awful” era as the CHC wants to portray it we lost in overtime of the E8 game in ‘19.

Had a most likely FF team in ‘20 that didn’t get to play. Won the regular season SEC by 3 games.

‘22 was a 2 seed. Terrible upset in the tournament but the season still earned a 2 seed.

‘23 was a good, not great team.

Cal went back to his stated mission of bringing in the “best of the best”.

They have just scratched the surface in Canada.

Cal is not going anywhere for many years and he’s not changing his basic approach.

People can get on board or they can wallow in misery.

It’s a choice.

===========================

other teams managed somehow.

I didn't change the data points, I pointed out that the damage he has done is going to require mutliple titles, not just another to make up for it. I made a point of referencing that in the last sentence.

what I particularly notice about Cal supporters is that at some point, they'll cross over, but only then will , according to their logic, Cal did enough to make them decide he shouldn't be coach, and suddenly they can't say enough about why he shouldn't be here, and they'll start every post with "I used to be a big Cal supporter but..."

The return to prominence as you put it was great, but the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction, fan apathy is the worst I've ever seen it for the program, they can't fill Rupp, we don't win the SEC with any regularity, and I've already listed all the other issues.

A Cal supporter will be quick to talk about how fans change, etc, yet here we are - July 16, on a message board talking about basketball. The fans haven't changed. Cal has changed the program to something they don't recognize anymore, and if I seem bitter about it, its because I am.

Salivating over what a great marketer Cal is for taking the team to Drake's house to me just proves how disconnected people are to where the program really is. I'm certainly at the "get off my lawn" stage of my life, but that allows to me to realize what is fool's gold and what isn't.

We are coming off 2 years where Cal had veteran players, NBA draft picks and the NPOY, and that netted us a single tournament win, and now we're arguing about him winning a title after taking the team to Drake's house.

I guess that is what I love about UK fans
To me, some are just looking at the wrong things- I don't care where they practice or how many NBA picks, we have each year, I want us to do well in the tournament and that hasn't happened lately

Reactions: TankedCat
First, I didn't say Cal doesn't want to win.

No one can tell me he is doing all he can to win, or prioritizing winning over his other goals- hence the statement, I doubt you'll find many people who actually do make that argument and for even some of the more denser ones, the Shaedon Sharpe fiasco cemented it.

That is a legitimate complaint, and all the cool visits to Disney star turned rapper's house won't change that.

So when you say its a dumb argument, at least use the correct argument.
"Assuming you are not a troll", you know that going to that disney stars house matters to players and recruits and you would go too.

Also you can do cool things and still try to win, these things are not mutually exclusive.

Insinuating that Cal doesn't try to win is still dumb. It's lowest common denominator stuff.

Reactions: Ukgold

===========================

other teams managed somehow.
Not trying to excuse it, it was a terrible year. Duke had one also. So did a few other big time schools. We had some very young kids who was away from their families and it was very difficult for them. But yiu being bullet proof I am sure Covid didn't affect you one bit. If you can't admit that year was very abnormal for Cal / UK, your mind is already made up and you are just not going to entertain anyone's point of view. How many 9-16 years has Cal had ? It is not NORMAL. Now if he had 3 or 4 of those, yeah we got a problem. ONE year and if not willing to jump ship.

Not trying to excuse it, it was a terrible year. Duke had one also. So did a few other big time schools. We had some very young kids who was away from their families and it was very difficult for them. But yiu being bullet proof I am sure Covid didn't affect you one bit. If you can't admit that year was very abnormal for Cal / UK, your mind is already made up and you are just not going to entertain anyone's point of view. How many 9-16 years has Cal had ? It is not NORMAL. Now if he had 3 or 4 of those, yeah we got a problem. ONE year and if not willing to jump ship.
All I know is Tubby caught grief for 10 loss seasons....of which Cal has had five....plus a NIT and a 9-16 and all time lead to Kansas.

So yeah....I do see a problem.

"Assuming you are not a troll", you know that going to that disney stars house matters to players and recruits and you would go too.

Also you can do cool things and still try to win, these things are not mutually exclusive.

Insinuating that Cal doesn't try to win is still dumb. It's lowest common denominator stuff.
I don't think I'm insinuating it, I'm stating it as a fact. The fact that he didn't play Shaedon Sharpe is evidence enough. Its pretty hard to debate that.

I, for one, am glad you two curmudgeons came in to correct everything. People were enjoying themselves way too much, and as we all know... You just can't have that.

Thank you for your service, for not shutting the smurf up and letting people just have a bit of fun.
ahh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break up the "how great is UK basketball for practicing at Drake's house" discussion

the absurdity in this is people defending Cal winning a single title as a talking point as a result of it

just say, yea, its cool and a good marketing gimmick, but it doesn't translate to Cal being a better coach or UK having a better year,

and we all move on. There are some people that can't do that I guess

Last edited:
And there are some people who can't let people do anything without a "yeah, but".

ahh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break up the "how great is UK basketball for practicing at Drake's house" discussion

the absurdity in this is people defending Cal winning a single title as a talking point as a result of it

just say, yea, its cool and a good marketing gimmick, but it doesn't translate to Cal being a better coach or UK having a better year,

and we all move on. There are some people that can't do that I guess
The problem is you Cal haters need to stay TF in the other 50 Cal haters threads and let people who want to talk about some good things, like the team practicing at Drakes house without you guys hijacking every positive thread. We get it already, you hate Cal. You stated it in EVERY thread, this thread was not about Cal.
There could be a thread about the weather, horse racing, hell even about women and you idiots will take the opportunity to hijack whatever the thread is about and state how much you hate Cal. It is tiring AF.

Reactions: Ukgold and thedahc
The problem is you Cal haters need to stay TF in the other 50 Cal haters threads and let people who want to talk about some good things, like the team practicing at Drakes house without you guys hijacking every positive thread. We get it already, you hate Cal. You stated it in EVERY thread, this thread was not about Cal.
There could be a thread about the weather, horse racing, hell even about women and you idiots will take the opportunity to hijack whatever the thread is about and state how much you hate Cal. It is tiring AF.
maybe you read a different thread than I because this is the post I read

"

You may not like his lack of inbounds plays, but this stuff does matter when trying to attract top-level talent."
-----------------

Last edited:

Now if he could only Coach. He knows how to market the product but he cannot deliver the results.

I don't think I'm insinuating it, I'm stating it as a fact. The fact that he didn't play Shaedon Sharpe is evidence enough. Its pretty hard to debate that.
In one post you say: "First, I didn't say Cal doesn't want to win."

And then later in your next reply about Cal not wanting to win you say: "I'm stating it as fact"

You don't even need to argue with others, you are doing a fine job of contradicting yourself and running yourself around in circles.

The hate has scrambled your mind. You are all over the place

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32

Except a lot of the top level talent is still choosing to go elsewhere. This years recruiting class is our first big haul in awhile.

In one post you say: "First, I didn't say Cal doesn't want to win."

And then later in your next reply about Cal not wanting to win you say: "I'm stating it as fact"

You don't even need to argue with others, you are doing a fine job of contradicting yourself and running yourself around in circles.

The hate has scrambled your mind. You are all over the place
listen I will say it again. want to win , yes, I'm sure he does.

try to win, as in doing everything he can? no he doesn't

I've clarified this twice already and given you Shaedon Sharpe as an example which you won't address.

I specifically said "assuming he is trying"

and YOU interpreted that as me saying he doesn't want to win.

I'll give you an example other than Shaedone Sharpe you might understand although given your past logic, I'm not holding out hope - a fat guy says he wants to lose 10 pounds, but then you see him at Golden Corral. He may *want* to lose weight, but he isn't *trying* to lose weight.

If you can't understand the difference, I can't help you but you should look in the mirror before you talk about running in circles.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT