ADVERTISEMENT

Talented enough

teddy.ray

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2015
Lexington, KY
Perhaps a hot take?

There has been plenty of talk about "ponying up," needing top-notch recruiters, and (perhaps in contradiction) firing assistants whose position groups are under-performing. I'd love to see higher-level recruitment and better development, too. But I don't think those were this year's biggest problems. This team was talented enough to go 9-3. Perhaps even 10-2.

I think the major thing separating this year's underwhelming 7-5 finish from an exciting 9-3 or 10-2 was discipline. The team was able to advance the ball, but they couldn't sustain drives because they too often fell behind the chains because of stupid penalties (false starts, personal fouls, etc.) and dropped passes. That's not a scheme, talent, or development issue. It's a discipline issue. 14 penalties for 122 yards against Missouri. Google any game the Cats lost this year (or several that they won) along with the word "undisciplined," and you're almost sure to find a matching quote, if not an article headline.

What can coaches or team leaders do about it? Discipline is a training, modeling, and accountability issue. I didn't see enough of that this year from our coaches. Maybe it happened behind the scenes, but I didn't see it on the field. Stoops's "pony up" comment was just an undisciplined aside that he's paid for. But he could have done better by accepting responsibility for it, apologizing, and moving on. Jager Burton commits an egregious personal foul early against UGA and stays in the game. When there's no accountability for that kind of crap, it persists.

So tell me Kentucky will have a strong recruiting class or a great transfer portal haul, and I'll be happy. But what would really make me excited would be to hear that they'll play like a disciplined team next year. If so, I think they'll have sufficient talent to have a good year. Regardless, I'd rather watch a disciplined team with mediocre talent that leaves it all on the field. Much better than banging your head against the wall watching a group of talented players squander it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News