ADVERTISEMENT

Strategy for hiring Donovan

Apr 11, 2024
Okay... so we obviously have to give him a legit shot to make this work, but with his schedule, it's going to be pushing it....but...

What if we go to him now and tell him the offer range and just get his true interest. We basically need him to say yes or no that he would take it once the Bulls' season is over. If it's a yes, we ask him who he would want as assistants.

I think we then go ahead and try to hire the assistants he wants, and have them go ahead and start communicating with portal guys, recruits and current players we still have. If possible, we try to retain one of the current assistants for at least a year to help bridge the transition.

Obviously Donovan would want to keep it as on the down low as possible, but it would at least give us a chance to build a team he can coach, while also allowing him to finish the season with the Bulls.

If he says no, we can move on.

Obviously Donovan would want to keep it as on the down low as possible
I don't understand why it would need to be kept quite. Their fans don't really care if he is back. As long as he then stays focused on the Bulls through next Wednesday or Friday it would not ruffle any feathers. Worst case scenario is they win both play in games and then get swept by Boston in first round. Best case he is available late night April 16 and worst case he is done by April 27-29.

I don't understand why it would need to be kept quite. Their fans don't really care if he is back. As long as he then stays focused on the Bulls through next Wednesday or Friday it would not ruffle any feathers. Worst case scenario is they win both play in games and then get swept by Boston in first round. Best case he is available late night April 16 and worst case he is done by April 27-29.
I see what you're saying, but I think he just would want to avoid the media circus that comes with that, and he doesn't want to appear checked out or like he is focused on UK while coaching the Bulls. If/when he loses, some people are always going to accuse him of losing it on purpose to move on to his UK job.

It will obviously get leaked pretty quickly, but I think he would want to ignore/avoid it as much as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT