ADVERTISEMENT

Stranger Things - new Netflix original

beltieboy

Junior
Nov 19, 2001
Anyone else watching this? It's getting great reviews. I'm three episodes in and loving it... really good if you're into sci-fi and weird shit. Reminds me a lot of AHS Asylum.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Watched the first two episodes last night and didn't want to stop, but I had to go to bed for work. Planning on trying to get episodes 3-5 in tonight and then 6-8 in tomorrow night.

So far it's been fantastic and VERY authentic. It feels like a show from the early to mid 1980's with the set design, clothes, synthesizer music, and even the opening credits. Way too cool. It's definitely making me very nostalgic since I was about the age the kids are in the show back in 1983 so I can relate to the era very well.

It has a very E.T./Poltergeist/Goonies/D.A.R.Y.L/Akira vibe to it and I totally dig it.

Just finished the awesome finale. It tied up most of the loose ends but left plenty for a second season.

This show has vaulted to the top of my list of favorite Netflix originals, ahead of House of Cards, Bloodline, etc.

Hopper is my favorite character but damn, he really sold out Eleven didn't he? I was expecting him to lead the bad guys away from her. Nope, straight to the school.

Of course she is apparently still alive and he is leaving her food, but still.

Finished it last night and I must say that 'Stranger Things' has been a breath of fresh air. Such a cool and amazing show and extremely nostalgic for us 80's kids.

There are tons of film references that I noticed...

E.T. - the boys playing D&D, riding bikes, Dustin's hat (similar to Greg's hat in E.T.), hiding Eleven away in the house, Mike showing Eleven his Star Wars figures, disguising Eleven in a wig and dress, the scene where they were being chased by the vans was very reminiscent of the scene where the bikes fly on E.T. Also, when Dr. Brenner is first introduced in the hazmat suit and he takes the mask off it is very reminiscent of the introduction of "Keyes" from E.T.

Firestarter - The telekinetic girl escaping from the goverment lab and them stopping at nothing to get her back

A Nightmare on Elm Street - the creature pushing through the latex-like wall at the Byer's house

Jaws - Hoppers tan "chief" uniform and yellow/tan and white Ford Bronco. Also the deputies all wear blue shirts, black pants and black hats like in Jaws. There's a Jaws poster in Mikes basement.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - the lights that Joyce puts in her house have a similar theme to CEOTTK. She communicates using lights.

Poltergeist - a small child is spirited away and is presumably still in the house, but in an alternate plane of reality and can still be heard crying for help. In some foreshadowing, Joyce, in a flashback scene, offers to take WIll to go see Poltergeist.

John Carpenter's The Thing - the creature shares many similarities to the creature from The Thing. Also there is a poster for the film in Mikes basement and Mr. Clarke is watching it with his girlfriend.

The Evil Dead - The Byer's house looks like the house from Evil Dead at times. plus the woods outside the house. Jonathan has an Evil Dead poster in his room.

Star Wars - several references are made to the Star Wars films in speaking - Dustin saying "Lando" to Lucas several times, Mikes Star Wars toys, the line saying it's like "R2-D2 fighting Darth Vader".

The show also pays homage to Steven Spielberg films with the absent father scenario with the Byer's family.

Just finished watching. There are some creative people in this world that can tie so many movies together and do it well. Some new young stars coming out of this series.

There are over 50 threads on this series on the IMDb.com board.

Eleven (played by Millie Bobbie Brown)
MV5BMTk4OTg4NDcyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY0OTYyODE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
reminded of a young Natalie Portman in :

Others future stars:
Finn Wolfhard
Caleb McLaughlin
Gaten Matarazzo
Charlie Heaton

Last edited:
Just finished it and thought it was great, a combo of Stephen King's "Stand by Me","Fire Starter" and "It".

Reactions: UK-BILL
As an "80's kid" this show is right up my alley. Stephen King terror, mixed with Spielberg adventure, all tied in with a John Carpenter style score. My only complaint is that it's only 8 episodes. We still have two episodes left and I already want more.

I hope they release the score on iTunes.

I want to thank you f***** for ruining my Saturday and making me binge watch the entire season.

I loved it

Last edited:
Just watched the whole thing. It has classic potential.

I love that you can't distinguish this from something filmed in the 80s...they did a superb job with that.

Did anyone catch where this is being filmed?

I like the series. To me, it has a Fringe tinge. I don't really like the "faceless man" as the monster but then not much background has been revealed about it. The child actors are really good. I've always liked stories from the perspective of a child. More honesty and awe at learning new things.

Georgia has a thriving film industry. Note the Georgia film logo at the end of each episode.

Yes - I live right in the middle of it - there is a major Hollywood studio 3 miles from my house. It is becoming normal around here for things to be shut down due to filming. They did a great job making it not look very much like Georgia and more like Indiana in the 80s.

Most shows I can look at and tell its Georgia right away. Not so with this one. I'm very impressed.

As an 80s kid I loved this show hope Netflix green lights season 2 soon. Would like to know where I could get a mix tape of the songs used?

Thought it was good, but not on par with some of the other Netflix originals. I cared way more about 11 than Will, so the whole premise kinda lacked intensity.

There was also a lack of background or explanation for a lot of the stuff. I'm not one of those people who demands a scientifically perfect explanation for Sci Fi stuff, but at least try.

There was also a lack of background or explanation for a lot of the stuff. I'm not one of those people who demands a scientifically perfect explanation for Sci Fi stuff, but at least try.

I agree, this is the one complaint I had about the season. I've read some quotes from the Duffer brothers that a lot of background info about the monster, the lab, the Upside Down, etc will be explored in season 2.

I'd rather them do something new instead of trying to milk this one out for all it's worth. They could do a bunch of short stories that last a season each to keep it fresh. It could be like the Twilight Zone, but with each episode being a season long.

I liked the first season, but I just think it is going to get old fast. I'd be fine with them leaving it as a cliffhanger where you think 11 is dead, but you just don't know for sure with the waffles being left by the sheriff. Keep people wondering, but never knowing for sure.

Incredible show, wow. We just got Netflix on Friday and I got it to watch some movies and this show Narcos I heard about, but my wife said lets check out an episode of this Stranger Things show. Next thing you know its been 4 hours and we hadn't moved, couldn't believe Netflix had that type of production value. Soundtrack was awesome (reminded me a little of Tron), acting, everything really. Haven't gotten that into a show so quickly since Breaking Bad. Not sure where they are going to be going with it after this season, but first season was amazing.

Reactions: _Chase_
Incredible show, wow. We just got Netflix on Friday and I got it to watch some movies and this show Narcos I heard about, but my wife said lets check out an episode of this Stranger Things show. Next thing you know its been 4 hours and we hadn't moved, couldn't believe Netflix had that type of production value. Soundtrack was awesome (reminded me a little of Tron), acting, everything really. Haven't gotten that into a show so quickly since Breaking Bad. Not sure where they are going to be going with it after this season, but first season was amazing.

The good news (or bad news) is that it's about the 20th best show on Netflix.

The good news (or bad news) is that it's about the 20th best show on Netflix.

Any other recs? Saw an episode of orange is the new black...meh it was okay I guess. First episode of Narcos was okay, but I'm interested in the subject matter so I'm assuming it'll get better. Heard house of cards is good, not too familiar with any of the other shows. My wife made me watch an episode of Fuller House [eyeroll]

Peaky Blinders, Narcos, House of Cards, Bloodline are kind of the Netflix heavy hitters. There are tons of other great shows that were on network TV at one time or another (Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Prison Break, HIMYM, etc).

The wife and I usually don't like the same shows but we are both liking How To Get Away With Murder (seasons 1 & 2 on Netflix, season 3 starts back on ABC in September).

Actually did start watching Making of a Murderer, forgot to mention that. 2 episodes in and I'm hooked, seems really good. I remember people talking about it a year or so ago, but I'm excited to see where it goes, pretty crazy stuff so far.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
Any other recs? Saw an episode of orange is the new black...meh it was okay I guess. First episode of Narcos was okay, but I'm interested in the subject matter so I'm assuming it'll get better. Heard house of cards is good, not too familiar with any of the other shows. My wife made me watch an episode of Fuller House [eyeroll]

A lot of the good ones (House of Cards, Bloodline, Making a Murderer, etc) have been mentioned, but they're very good.

If you haven't seen Breaking Bad or Dexter, you have to watch them. Same if you aren't caught up with The Walking Dead.

Not mentioned that are good:

Dramas- Daredevil, Better Call Saul, Last Chance U, Mad Men, Californication, Sons of Anarchy

Comedies- Parks and Recreation, Trailer Park Boys, The League, Archer, Bojack Horeseman, the Office, it's always sunny in Philadelphia.

Some the wife might like that aren't bad: LOVE, Master of None, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, New Girl.

Documentaries- all the 30 for 30s, The Battered Bastards of Baseball, Team Foxcatcher.

Then there are movies like The Big Short and Spotlight that just released on Netflix that were best picture nominees.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
False

Unless you're talking about all shows, because it's definitely one of their best originals.

I was talking about overall, for someone who is new to Netflix and hasn't seen all of those shows.

I'll also say that I think the reaction to Stranger Things skews how good the show actually is. Again, it's a really good show and I watched it all in a day and a half, but I think the reception is better than the quality because of the nostalgia and the fact that it caters perfectly to the crowd that is discussing and rating it.

Reactions: BluffaloSlim
As an 80s kid I loved this show hope Netflix green lights season 2 soon. Would like to know where I could get a mix tape of the songs used?

They said they're going to release the official soundtrack pretty soon. In the meantime, the band that did the theme song and most of the other music is a synthwave band called "Survive" from Austin, TX.

There's also a few Spotify playlists but I don't think they're official or list everything:

the show is amazing. Loved it. I'm worried about season 2. I want for them to have time to write a good story and not do what so many shows do and just throw sh*t at the wall fast just to get something on tv. Id be more than ok with waiting 2 years if it means they are able to think and write out another great season arc

I'm pretty sure they had a plan for several seasons when they pitched the show to Netflix, so it's not like they're just now thinking of what to do for season 2, they've known for a while now what direction they want to go in.

This show was really good. I'm looking for my next show to binge watch now. Any more recommendations folks? Nurse Jackie was ok, hadn't seen that one mentioned.

'Stranger Things' is definitely one of the best shows on Netflix, along with 'Daredevil', 'Narcos', and 'Making a Murderer'. They haven't greenlit a season two for it yet, but they'd be crazy not to at this point. It has picked up HUGE momentum over the last couple of weeks with word of mouth advertising that it has already become a huge hit, especially among Generation X'ers.

Netflix is beginning to make a name for itself with producing top quality episodic programming (hard to call it "television shows" when technically they are not).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT