ADVERTISEMENT

Strange game - Defense was actually pretty good

Sep 3, 2022
Held AM to 40 percent shooting (excellent). Gave up 3s but still outscored AM from behind the arc by 9.

The offensive rebounding certainly killed the Cats. AM had 82 shot attempts which is absurd even for a game that went into OT and the tempo UK wants to play.

If the Cats don’t rebound they need to figure out a way to create more turnovers. More pressure, some trapping, etc. Hard to determine what this game actually means in terms of UKs overall long term ceiling.

I'm sitting here watching Houston play TCU. I know all about Sampsons cheating at multiple schools. But I see his teams every year rebound like a machine and is aggressive the entire game. I also know his teams don't make it far in the tournament usually but all I'm saying is I like the way his teams play, especially at Houston

I'm sitting here watching Houston play TCU. I know all about Sampsons cheating at multiple schools. But I see his teams every year rebound like a machine and is aggressive the entire game. I also know his teams don't make it far in the tournament usually but all I'm saying is I like the way his teams play, especially at Houston
Yeah there never quite had the backcourt play that you need for a FF and title, but his teams and guys are always tough physically and mentally.

He’s made a FF more recently than we have.

Held AM to 40 percent shooting (excellent). Gave up 3s but still outscored AM from behind the arc by 9.

The offensive rebounding certainly killed the Cats. AM had 82 shot attempts which is absurd even for a game that went into OT and the tempo UK wants to play.

If the Cats don’t rebound they need to figure out a way to create more turnovers. More pressure, some trapping, etc. Hard to determine what this game actually means in terms of UKs overall long term ceiling.

Isn’t letting a team offense rebound at 46.3% considered bad defense? And we let them shoot 10 percentage points higher than their average from 3 pt range. This team has to figure out how to rebound and defend BOTH the 3pt line and the rim at the same time or we will go out early in March.

He got a raw deal at Indiana as what he did isn't even a violation today. If he'd been there long-term Indiana wouldn't be in as bad of shape as they are today as he was building something special there.

The last 4 tournaments his teams have made the Sweet 16 and beyond. And one of those would've been another Elite Eight had Tyler Herro not made a clutch shot for us in 2018-2019 to send them home.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

I think failing to secure defensive rebounds at today’s rate nullifies any discussion of the defense being “pretty good.”

ATM came in the game leading the country in offensive rebounding percentage at 44%+. We surrendered 51%.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Oh, I get it. You're talking about the Iowa game, because you sure aren't calling our matador defense "pretty good." Pretty good defenses don't give up 97 points, unless it's the NBA

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think failing to secure defensive rebounds at today’s rate nullifies any discussion of the defense being “pretty good.”

ATM came in the game leading the country in offensive rebounding percentage at 44%+. We surrendered 51%.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
Aike I’m sure we’re about to take a bath in your model.

We can’t have a an early exit theee damn years in a row and Cal survive. The fan base will riot. Hell Tubby left for less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aike
That’s a sinple minded and myopic perspective. Sure you can.

KYs defense was certainly good enough to win that game.
No. Just no. A%M barely cracked 60 in a loss to Auburn. They torched us for 89 in regulation. No spin on God’s green earth can make that “good” defense overall.

Reactions: JFCats22
Aike I’m sure we’re about to take a bath in your model.

We can’t have a an early exit theee damn years in a row and Cal survive. The fan base will riot. Hell Tubby left for less.
I don’t think we’ll fall too much. SOS will improve and we still did some things well.

But we have been slowly moving backwards since the start of conference play. Overdue for a breakout.

I don’t think we’ll fall too much. SOS will improve and we still did some things well.

But we have been slowly moving backwards since the start of conference play. Overdue for a breakout.
It’s damn frustrating to see a team this good at offense basically be a screen door on a submarine.

Reactions: Aike
Initial defense was ok, but rebounding is apart of defense and that was horrendous. If you said before the game that UK would hold Taylor to 7/24 shooting you would take that all day. The problem was allowing him to hit 6 threes when he came in shooting 25% from 3 on the season.

Taylor and Radford shot a combined 21 free throws. You can’t keep putting the guards on the line.

Contract be damned. His buyout gets less and less as time goes on. Three early exits and a missed tourney in four years is ground ls for termination at a blue blood.
Not happening. Buyout is still $35+ million. Zero chance UK could find that amount even if they wanted to. Cal is here as long as he wants to be.

Not happening. Buyout is still $35+ million. Zero chance UK could find that amount even if they wanted to. Cal is here as long as he wants to be.
If we don’t make a deep run this year Cal is done. May not be fired but there’s zero chance we do anything going forward.

Rupo will be empty as well.

You have the No 1 class. The best player in Kentucky in years and we keep losing. No more excuses.

It’s damn frustrating to see a team this good at offense basically be a screen door on a submarine.
Why a team needs more than one way to play defense. No one to blame here but cal and his all man all the time philosophy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT