• Mark Stoops

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Mike Hunt

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

R.O.T.Muckinfush

Sophomore
Jul 13, 2017
Who was the better in game coach while at UK? I would take Brooks to get more out of his players and game plan any day of the week. Stoops had the hype machine and new facilities so he was able to recruit better. IMO, Brooks would have won the division a couple of times with the talent and facilities Stoops has.

Ok, but Brooks couldn't get those. Stoops convinced boosters to invest and built the program from the bottom up. Mark Stoops has had way more success.

Rich Brooks was 39-47 at UK and never had a winning record in the SEC at UK. His highest finish was 3rd in the East 1 time.
Mark Stoops is currently 71-62, has had two winning seasons in the SEC, and his highest finish has been 2nd in the East twice.

It's not even a conversation worth having.

Ok, but Brooks couldn't get those. Stoops convinced boosters to invest and built the program from the bottom up. Mark Stoops has had way more success.

Rich Brooks was 39-47 at UK and never had a winning record in the SEC at UK. His highest finish was 3rd in the East 1 time.
Mark Stoops is currently 71-62, has had two winning seasons in the SEC, and his highest finish has been 2nd in the East twice.

It's not even a conversation worth having.
They are about equal. I’m sure stoops has gotten some investment and such but all the facilities and things were in the back logged pipe behind track and everything else before stoops ever got to UK. Our biggest boon has been the tv contract era. We now have an athletics budget higher than ut so no more ‘woe is us’ from that standpoint.

Brooks was gone before mizzou came in so he didn’t get the gift of that being an annual sec game. He also coached against urban Meyer, spurrier in his best years at sc, and UL was at whatever its best has been. Stoops did get a couple of wins against spurrier in his last two years when his teams were 10-15. But the sc, uf, UL teams he has faced have been a far cry from back then and he also got the gift of Missouri.

I would also say brooks showed he could win in different ways. 06 was a mix, 07 was out scoring you, 08 was d only. Stoops seems to have a formula but it’s only one formula that better work that way.

Last edited:
They are about equal. I’m sure stoops has gotten some investment and such but all the facilities and things were in the back logged pipe behind track and everything else before stoops ever got to UK. Our biggest boon has been the tv contract era. We now have an athletics budget higher than ut so no more ‘woe is us’ from that standpoint.

Brooks was gone before mizzou came in so he didn’t get the gift of that being an annual sec game. He also coached against urban Meyer, spurrier in his best years at sc, and UL was at whatever its best has been. Stoops did get a couple of wins against spurrier in his last two years when his teams were 10-15. But the sc, uf, UL teams he has faced have been a far cry from back then and he also got the gift of Missouri.

I would also say brooks showed he could win in different ways. 06 was a mix, 07 was out scoring you, 08 was d only. Stoops seems to have a formula but it’s only one formula that better work that way.
Brooks would coach circles around Stoops in game, he won with far less talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT