ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops is What He is

Porky Pigskin33

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2017
The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. Mark Stoops isn't as bad as his detractors say and isn't as good as his defenders say.

Stoops is a good program builder. We've certainly enjoyed an upgrade in recruiting and facilities under his tutelage. That has resulted in six straight bowl appearances and four consecutive bowl victories. He has, for the most part, enjoyed success against several programs UK plays each year, namely South Carolina, Louisville, Vandy, and Missouri. He broke the embarrassing losing streak to Florida and led UK to its first victory in Knoxville since 1984.

Unfortunately, he is simply not an innovator or a great football mind. He's a grinder, and that's obviously not going to change. That is why UK has had several narrow victories against directional schools since 2013. That is why UK has pulled off very few thrilling upsets during this tenure. That is why every year UK has at least one lethargic performance against a team they should have defeated or, in the very least, played competitively. Examples: Mississippi State in 2021, Tennessee in 2018, Louisville in 2017, Vanderbilt in 2015.

One has to think that a coach with a great football mind could've taken a backup quarterback and defeated a mediocre South Carolina team at home. Just manage the game and make enough plays to win.

In summary, there is no denying that he has built the most solid foundation for UK football of any coach in my lifetime. I just wish his in-game coaching and approach to the offensive side of them ball were on par with this program-building skills.

Last edited:
The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. Mark Stoops isn't as bad as his detractors say and isn't as good as his defenders say.

Stoops is a good program builder. We've certainly enjoyed an upgrade in recruiting and facilities under his tutelage. That has resulted in six straight bowl appearances and four consecutive bowl victories. He has, for the most part, enjoyed success against several programs UK plays each year, namely South Carolina, Louisville, Vandy, and Missouri. He broke the embarrassing losing streak to Florida and led UK to its first victory in Knoxville since 1984.

Unfortunately, he is simply not an innovator or a great football mind. He's a grinder, and that's obviously not going to change. That is why UK has had several narrow victories against directional schools since 2013. That is why UK has pulled off very few thrilling upsets during this tenure. That is why every year UK has at least one lethargic performance against a team they should have defeated or, in the very least, played competitively. Examples: Mississippi State in 2021, Tennessee in 2018, Louisville in 2017, Vanderbilt in 2015.

One has to think that a coach with a great football mind could've taken a backup quarterback and defeated a mediocre South Carolina team at home. Just manage the game and make enough plays to win.

In summary, there is no denying that he has built the most solid foundation for UK football of any coach in my lifetime. I just wish his in-game coaching and approach to the offensive side of them ball were on par with this program-building skills.
It's about OFFENSE. He doesn't respect its value in the least bit.

It's about OFFENSE. He doesn't respect its value in the least bit.

Coen is the only decent OC that he had here. The new guy can't get out of NFL football and call a college game plan.. I guarantee the Heupel and Leach both scores double the points that we did tonight with a backup QB. It's great to be thought of as a program that plays a pro style offense, but when you don't win that style of play doesn't help recruiting.

It’s clear Stoops needs help on offense side …which is not much different then most any other coach that is either offense or defense background to need a good coordinater

I think losing Coen stung more then we imagined and Yenser appears to be awful

But Stoops establish a culture of physical LOS on both sides and he’s lost the offense side of LOS. We need to get that back

Great post!

Reactions: MbergCat
Best coach we have had since Bryant. Not his fault Levi’s got hurt and couldn’t play. Also a shame players don’t want to wait their turn to play (QB)

Best coach we have had since Bryant. Not his fault Levi’s got hurt and couldn’t play. Also a shame players don’t want to wait their turn to play (QB)
Yep, that’s the only reason we lost. That’s the reason our defense is soft, our OLine sucks, our special teams stinks, and of course no other team ever wins with their backup QB. Oh wait, UL just did.

Not even 13 yr old lil girls in Jr HS are as psychotic as UK football fans!!

and ive been one for 48 yrs. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
It’s clear Stoops needs help on offense side …which is not much different then most any other coach that is either offense or defense background to need a good coordinater

But Stoops establish a culture of physical LOS on both sides and he’s lost the offense side of LOS. We need to get that back
I think losing Kinnard, Rosenthal and Fortner hurt worse than losing Coen. I’m not sure Coen would be doing a whole lot more with this garbage OL.

I think losing Kinnard, Rosenthal and Fortner hurt worse than losing Coen. I’m not sure Coen would be doing a whole lot more with this garbage OL.
On the surface yes, you could say that's the problem. The counter-argument is that we returned Cox and Horsey, two All-SEC contenders, Flax was the #1 Juco and Manning was a starter at Auburn. We knew we would be weak at LT but we shouldn't be the worst OL the SEC has had since 2015 though. Coaching and schemes are to blame.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue

Don't know why Stoops thought we had to reinvent the wheel. Our power run game and mauling OL were our identity. All we needed was a COMPETENT passing game to compliment the running game. With Stoops offense, it's all or nothing.

Yeah everyone keeps talking about what QBs and rbs are going to be available via the portal…CMS n crew better go get some OL…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT