ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops 2018

TTU/UK fan

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2011
I was watching some games last night and realized that Mullen's 2017 team at MSU had a good amount of current NFL starters. All things considered, it was kind of a disappointing season for him to go 8-4 (4-4) with what he had to work with in his final season at MSU. But it got me thinking about 2018, because practically all of the current NFL starters returned for Moorhead's first season. It made me appreciate what Stoops did even more vs not only MSU that year, but what he did in Gainesville to Mullen. Both of those were really good teams. You could chalk them down as lacking in QB play, but we were in the same boat.

(Only includes players that made meaningful contributions and played a good amount in 2018)

Current Starters in the NFL from the 2018 UK team:
Josh Allen - NFL Pro Bowler

Current Starters in the NFL from the 2018 MSU team:
C Elgton Jenkins - NFL Pro Bowler
DT Jeffrey Simmons - Best DT from the 2019 draft class, could have easily been a pro-bowler this year.
DE Montez Sweat - 21 sacks in 3 seasons and has outplayed #2 overall pick Chase Young as an edge rusher this season
LB Willie Gay - 16 NFL starts
S Johnathan Abram - 29 NFL starts (every game he has played in)
CB Cameron Dantzler - 15 NFL starts (struggled with some injuries or it would be more)

Current Starters in the NFL from the 2018 Florida team:
WR Van Jefferson - Started every game this season
OT Jawaan Taylor - 47 straight NFL starts
CB CJ Henderson - 20 NFL starts
S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - 28 NFL starts
WR Freddie Swain - 7 starts this season
WR Kadarius Toney - 4 starts, just returned from injury

Some will point to Lonnie and Edwards getting a few starts, but then I can point to Martinas Rankin from that MSU team who has had more NFL starts than both guys combined. Lynn would likely be starting, if healthy, but there are guys from UF & MSU teams you could put into that category as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News