ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops … Tubby Smith

Everyone bitching about Stoops are obviously young. Tubby was handed a National Championship caliber program. Stoops was handed the worst team in the conference. While you complain about mediocrity, I spent a big part of my 87 years hoping we would be mediocre. The 10 win seasons, 8, I think straight bowl games. is something I never thought would happen. When the fans finally complain enough and Stoops retires or leaves, and we hopefully get a good young coach that wins 10 games, and then immediately takes off for a better program, I hope you all miss Mark Stoops. If anyone can win here, we have the staff that can. I've said this many times and no one ever responds, but Bill Curry was the National Coach of the Year the year he left Alabama and came to Kentucky, and he couldn't win here. Everyone said he was a horrible coach. Be careful what you ask for.

Reactions: grevey35
Everyone bitching about Stoops are obviously young. Tubby was handed a National Championship caliber program. Stoops was handed the worst team in the conference. While you complain about mediocrity, I spent a big part of my 87 years hoping we would be mediocre. The 10 win seasons, 8, I think straight bowl games. is something I never thought would happen. When the fans finally complain enough and Stoops retires or leaves, and we hopefully get a good young coach that wins 10 games, and then immediately takes off for a better program, I hope you all miss Mark Stoops. If anyone can win here, we have the staff that can. I've said this many times and no one ever responds, but Bill Curry was the National Coach of the Year the year he left Alabama and came to Kentucky, and he couldn't win here. Everyone said he was a horrible coach. Be careful what you ask for.
So, here's my response, then. Curry may have won national coach of the year, but left Alabama to escape a hot seat, and bombed at UK, after which he bombed elsewhere. He was a very, very average at best coach. Alabama fans rejoiced when he left. He wasn't a great coach in the first place. Claiborne, Brooks, Curry, and arguably Mumme were better.

Reactions: Bterhune
So, here's my response, then. Curry may have won national coach of the year, but left Alabama to escape a hot seat, and bombed at UK, after which he bombed elsewhere. He was a very, very average at best coach. Alabama fans rejoiced when he left. He wasn't a great coach in the first place. Claiborne, Brooks, Curry, and arguably Mumme were better.
So Curry was better than Curry?

• Haha
The one thing Tubby had that Stoops clearly lacks is attitude of discipline he instilled. Stoops does a lot of good things but the lack of discipline in how is teams play rears up to bit him over an over. You see it not just in the big disaster plays, but in the every down where guys have to pose and posture or mouth off every time. The higher level teams just dont do that and it sounds like something petty, but its systematic both ways . . .
1.) a lack of discipline that creates negative plays, penalties etc
2.) a lack of discipline that keeps them from making necessary plays that a focused team would make to win

If he can fix this and pair it with the higher level of talent we have he may get over the hump. But without he's stuck where he is IMO.
You think Stoops needs his own Team Turmoil?

I’m not talking records. I’m talking about being mediocre over and over dabo goes 9-4 in his mediocre years.
If his guys had turned it over 4 times in the 4th quarter he would be 8-5 just like Stoops.

If his guys had turned it over 4 times in the 4th quarter he would be 8-5 just like Stoops.
If he had a late lead, and played a soft defense as we did, while we were facing a 3rd and 18, he would also probably have ended up 8 and 5 just like we probably would have. Well, that's assuming we converted, which, they sure did.

He was on a hot seat because their fans were idiots and the AD listened, like you want our AD to listen to the idiots.

If he had a late lead, and played a soft defense as we did, while we were facing a 3rd and 18, he would also probably have ended up 8 and 5 just like we probably would have. Well, that's assuming we converted, which, they sure did.
They played pretty soft defense late in the game. Did you watch it?

He was on a hot seat because their fans were idiots and the AD listened, like you want our AD to listen to the idiots.
Wrong on both counts.

1. Curry was on the hot seat, because he was 0 and 3 against Auburn and was not, despite a good record in season 3, taking Alabama anywhere particularly good, as his future results elsewhere proved. Also, the AD didn't "listen". Curry wasn't fired at Alabama. He left voluntarily.

2. I don't want our AD to listen to any "idiots". Obviously, at your age, it's easy to confuse posts from different people and perhaps you are thinking of someoneelse here. The next time I call for a coaching change here, will be the first.

The funny part is you assume somebody else would go undefeated here. Hasn't occurred here since '77. That was a 6 game schedule and we were put on probation.
Funny part is I never said that, so you can pull the ass of of your assume and shove it down your throat, if there's any room left... [laughing]

Everyone was ready for a change when Tubby left himself included but he does not deserve to be mentioned with Stoops. Tubby was a damn good basketball coach. He never missed the tournament never lost in the 1st round while at UK. He made the NCAA tournament 14 straight years at 3 schools and lost in the 1st round once. Tulsa and Georgia aren't exactly basketball schools.
Agreed. Tubby wasn't a great long term fit at UK due his unwillingness to play the AAU game in recruiting and his boring playing style but he $hits all over Mark Stoops in regard to coaching and preparation.

No comparison whatsoever. Tubby could do more with less ans Stoops has consistantly done less with more.

No comparison whatsoever. Tubby could do more with less ans Stoops has consistantly done less with more.

What?

Tubby's recruiting was always top 4 or better in the SEC. It wasn't Pitino or Calipari level, but Tubby had more talent than most of the league. Remember, during Tubby's years, the SEC didn't care about basketball and was nowhere near what it is today.

Mark Stoops has consistently been in the bottom 20% of SEC recruiting. Relatively speaking, Stoops has been very good nationally, top 25 or better, but that's not "less with more" in the SEC.

Reactions: blubo
Funny part is I never said that, so you can pull the ass of of your assume and shove it down your throat, if there's any room left... [laughing]

The funny part is you assume somebody else would go undefeated here. Hasn't occurred here since '77. That was a 6 game schedule and we were put on probation.
The 77 team would have easily won another SEC game, if you ever saw them you would have to agree. THAT was the best team in the country that year. All kinds of NFL talent on that team

What?

Tubby's recruiting was always top 4 or better in the SEC. It wasn't Pitino or Calipari level, but Tubby had more talent than most of the league. Remember, during Tubby's years, the SEC didn't care about basketball and was nowhere near what it is today.

Mark Stoops has consistently been in the bottom 20% of SEC recruiting. Relatively speaking, Stoops has been very good nationally, top 25 or better, but that's not "less with more" in the SEC.
The last 2 years we are 6-10 in SEC. Seems like doing less with more to me, if after all the punbits have told me ,we had the best overall roster we ever had here.

Calipari has also had 3 seasons better than Tubbys 2nd best season. (Taking out the title year for each). It works both ways.
Cal has a losing season, 2 NIT, several 1st and second round NCAAT flameouts and Cal has given up every record that we had when he took over. And don't say we still have all time wins because that was a gift back to us and odds are Cal will lose it again. People use to call Tubby 10 loss Tubby, I guess Cal gets that moniker as well.

Tell it brother these youngsters have no clue of the misery of UK football. If they want the OleMiss model they better come up with about 4 times the current NIL.

Tubby could coach…just not recruit.
Ruby’s recruiting prowess was his downfall here IMHWO! Coaching wasn’t the problem. Almost opposite of each other-CMS out recruits OTS but flipped on coaching

If he is getting top 10 pay we need to at least end 75 percent of our years in the top 25. I know the SEC is tough, but if you are going to pay that kind of money you should at least expect that..
But, but, this is Kentucky football. Decades of horrible teams means we should just stand pat and be happy with 7-6 seasons. How dare we expect Top 25 results from a top 10 paid coach. Stick with the plan, it takes 25 years to build a decent program, we all know that. All of the coaching gaffes are clearly talent related. We all just need to keep quiet and "pony up" and our problems will be solved.

Tubby wasn’t a good fit for Kentucky OMO…. Stoops is a good fit for Kentucky.
But I am afraid CMS listened to KSR one too many times and heard MJ say “he’d leave for the right job”…. Again OMO TAMU was not the right job… I am afraid he might have poisoned the well of goodwill Kentucky FB fans bestowed upon him…. M not running out to buy any Old Willy Tarr for damn sure😉

To me the proper way to rank a coach is to look at his success level based on his resources. IMO Stoops had had several years were he exceeded what could be expected from his resources but the last two seasons I would say he underachieved. I think this is why many have become disheartened because we seem to have been on a track for moving towards the top but lately we seem to be sidetracked. Will we get going upwards again? Hopefully the last two years were just a temporary setback.

I would agree with some, that comparison to Tubby or any basketball coach isn't relevant.

The bottom line is Stoops makes to much money for the results, no matter how bad the program has been before he got here. And you can't convince me that he could do that much better at a real football school.

I did too. Doesnt seem to be the type to let that go on but he still does which puzzles me. Some will say thats just letting the guys be guys but it is a lack of discipline and Stoops seems like the type that would recognize that. Saban and Kirby's guys do very little of it.
B Brown is the kid that needs his ass reeled in on his jawing and acting like a punk. IF HE WERE TO CLEAN HIS ACTIONS UP, IT WOULD CLEANUP 80% OF THE TEAMS CRAPPY BEHAVIOR. His actions remind you of a bully punk. Such a bad image for our team.

In ten years, Tubby...

Won a National Championship
Won 5 SEC Championships (and 5 SEC Tournaments)
Had a winning record against every other SEC team.
Once went undefeated in the SEC - regular season and tournament
Never missed the NCAA Tournament
Never lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament
Had a 26 game winning streak
Had 7 seasons ranked in the top 10 in the final AP poll

Can Stoops match any one of those accomplishments or their football equivalents?

Reactions: dailydouble
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT