ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops’ Teams Uncanny Ability to Overcome Personnel Losses

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
When Barker went down versus New Mexico State, in a drizzling rain, tied 14-14, with a stadium one-third empty, I sat near a wheelchair friend, and two complete strangers from the Air Force, under the cover of the luxury boxes, pissed off, with my arms crossed.

Right before kickoff, two young guys approached, wearing no Blue. They were active military, Air Force, and it was military appreciation day, so I grabbed two empty chairs and asked them to sit with our little crowd, under cover. I told the nearest usher the dudes were active military and he helped work out arraigning the seats.

I had hoped to regale then with my bullish!t: neither had ever been to an SEC game. One youngster was from Alaska, and was blown away by a “crowd” of 45 thousand, it being the biggest sporting event he had ever attended.

And then the wheels fell off.

Barker looked awful and could barely walk when he left the field. We already had lost to Southern Miss at home, at Florida by 30 plus, and are tied with an “overmatched” NMSU.

I could have regaled my new buds with the story of a QB breaking a leg at Houston in 1964, derailing a season and an era; I could have told them about Sonny Collins’ injury plagued seasons, or Al Baker’s ankle at Riverfront Stadium, but that isn’t excactly the bullish!t I had hoped to entertain them with.

A regular member of our little group asked if we would win any more games: I said we’d beat Vandy and the FCS on the schedule.

And I sat and silently stewed as a QB I had barely ever heard of took the field, along with a tailback who was an equal mystery to me.

My new Alaskan bud asked who the back was. I glanced at the free listing and said, “Benjamin Snell from Georgia . . . a freshman.”

He took a harder look and said Snell was from Ohio.

Two hours later my old friends (who could stand) and my new friends were worn out from standing and high-fiving.

My bullsh!t finally came to the fore: “This is the highest scoring regulation football game in stadium history . . . Snell’s late third quarter 5 yard run breaking 7 tackles was the greatest power run I had (have) ever seen.

And Whotf is Stephen Johnson??

What a bizarre turn of events: in one game we lost the gun we had anticipated would get us over the hump, to suddenly find unknown heroes who actually did get us over the hump.

I was nearly as low in 2019 when we lost our QB’s, and we turned to LBJ. Now we all know, had we turned to LBJ sooner, we might have had a ten win season in 2019.

We have the programs longest Bowl streak, the SEC’s longest bowl win streak and the nation’s longest out-of-conference winning streak.

And all these things sort of began on that rainy day in September of 2016, when all looked lost, and we had to rely upon unproven youngsters to make a comeback.

Pre-season, 2018, we lost our only 5 Star, Landon Young. He was walking pretty good in civilian clothes in January 1st, 2019, when we beat Penn State in the Citrus Bowl.

On January 1st, I strutted into the Citrus Bowl expecting us to blow Iowa away. Then a guy sitting next to me showed me the list of players out: our starting LT, top tackling LB, best edge threat, second string TB, etc., etc.

And Iowa made it interesting.

Will we lose Crod?

I don’t know.

But Stoops’ team history says we’ll be OK.

Last edited:
When Barker went down versus New Mexico State, in a drizzling rain, tied 14-14, with a stadium one-third empty, I sat near a wheelchair friend, and two complete strangers from the Air Force, under the cover of the luxury boxes, pissed off, with my arms crossed.

Right before kickoff, two young guys approached, wearing no Blue. They were active military, Air Force, and it was military appreciation day, so I grabbed two empty chairs and asked them to sit with our little crowd, under cover. I told the nearest usher the dudes were active military and he helped work out arraigning the seats.

I had hoped to regale then with my bullish!t: neither had ever been to an SEC game. One youngster was from Alaska, and was blown away by a “crowd” of 45 thousand, it being the biggest sporting event he had ever attended.

Barker looked awful and could barely walk when he left the field. We already had lost to Southern Miss at home, at Florida by 30 plus, and are tied with an “overmatched” NMSU.

I could have regaled my new buds with the story of a QB breaking a leg at Houston in 1964, derailing a season and an era; I could have told them about Sonny Collins’ injury plagued seasons, or Al Baker’s ankle at Riverfront Stadium, but that isn’t excactly the bullish!t I had hoped to entertain them with.

A regular member of our little group asked if we would win any more games: I said we’d beat Vandy and the FCS on the schedule.

And I sat and silently stewed as a QB I had barely ever heard of took the field, along with a tailback who was an equal mystery to me.

My new Alaskan bud asked who the back was. I glanced at the free listing and said, “Benjamin Snell from Georgia . . . a freshman.”

Two hours later my old friends (who could stand) and my new friends were worn out from standing and high-fiving.

My bullsh!t finally came to the fore: “This is the highest scoring regulation football game in stadium history . . . Snell’s late third quarter 5 yard run breaking 7 tackles was the greatest power run I had (have) ever seen.

What a bizarre turn of events: in one game we lost the gun we had anticipated would get us over the hump, to suddenly find unknown heroes who actually did get us over the hump.

I was nearly as low in 2019 when we lost our QB’s, and we turned to LBJ. Now we all know, had we turned to LBJ sooner, we might have had a ten win season in 2019.

We have the programs longest Bowl streak, the SEC’s longest bowl win streak and the nation’s longest out-of-conference winning streak.

And all these things sort of began on that rainy day in September of 2016, when all looked lost, and we had to rely upon unproven youngsters to make a comeback.

Pre-season, 2018, we lost our only 5 Star, Landon Young. He was walking pretty good in civilian clothes in January 1st, 2019, when we beat Penn State in the Citrus Bowl.

On January 1st, I strutted into the Citrus Bowl expecting us to blow Iowa away. Then a guy sitting next to me showed me the list of players out: our starting LT, top tackling LB, best edge threat, second string TB, etc., etc.

Will we lose Crod?

I don’t know.

I have hated Houston since that 64 game. I was listening on the radio and thought there goes the season.

Reactions: The-Hack

Will we lose Crod?

I don’t know.

Thanks for sharing the story.

IDK, but my instinct after reading current news and analysis is that CRod will probably not play another game in a Kentucky uniform. I could be wrong, and sure hope I am. But we need to prepare ourselves for this likelihood.

I agree 100% with the belief that Stoops, like most SEC football coaches, is very good at overcoming personnel losses. The reason Stoops and other SEC coaches are good at this is that SEC recruiting classes are almost always among the best in the country. Stoops preaches next man up. Therefore, when one key player goes down or graduates, there is almost always quality depth to take up the slack. CRod for Benny Snell. EJ Price for Landon Young. Lynn Bowden for Terry Wilson. Jamin Davis for Chris Oats. Justin Rogers for Bully McCall. So forth.

Granting that CRod has been one of Kentucky's best Rbacks ever, I am not scared about entering an important season with Smoke, McClain, Wright, and Drennen. McClain is already a rising star, and the other three are better players than they have had chances to show off so far. My hope is that all four will get on the field enough to prove they belong. McClain and Drennen are quality receivers, which fits in Scangarello's offense. Wright looks like a younger version of CRod. All he needs is carries.

Last edited:

After Norton broke it and Warren McVey was running wild, this from Cawood: "There goes the Sugar Bowl ! There goes the Gator Bowl !"

Saw Baker break that ankle. Shame.

Young walked past me in the stands at A&M on crutches stopping to talk to folks. He was in a very good mood but weren't behind yet.

After Norton broke it and Warren McVey was running wild, this from Cawood: "There goes the Sugar Bowl ! There goes the Gator Bowl !"
I have heard for years that the Gator Bowl invited U.K. around mid-season, Bowl game selection being the “Wild-West,” back in the day, and that U.K. turned them down shooting for the Sugar Bowl.

When we played in Jacksonville in 2016, we were the last SEC team to register an appearance in that bowl venue, all 14 teams now having played there.

Yes, there are many more bowls, these days, but the Citrus Bowl is considered essentially the “first out” of the six play off bowls, and hence the 7th most prestigious bowl. The Gator is not what it used to be, but is still likely “top ten-twelve” among Bowl matchups.

Stoops has brought us a long way from the 23 year drought with no bowl games!!

Reactions: bumpstock and rye48
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT