ADVERTISEMENT

Stojakovic update

if you want to win championships its hard to do with a guard who cant shoot.
That's why John Wall has never won anything

Rondo being the biggest exception that comes to mind
So you are saying ALL teams have every key player on the team that can shoot ? NONE of them has a defensive stopper or facilitator, or big who exclusively shots inside the arc ? Not to be ugly, but you do not know what you are talking about. I am not going to dig up tons of proof to show you that, I will look no further than this years NCAA Champion UCONN. ALL starters.

Tristen Newton (guard) - 15.1 PPG (leading scorer) -32.2 minutes per game - 32% 3FG shooter (5.5 attempts per)
Donovan Clingan (center) - 13 PPG (4th leading scorer) - 22.5 minutes per game - 25% 3FG shooter
Stephon Castle (guard) - 11.1 PPG (5th leading scorer) - 27 minutes per game - 26% 3FG shooter (2.2 attempts per)

Three of the five starters where not "shooters", they all had their special abilities they brought to the floor.
Newton - lead guard, set the team up with his 6.2 assist per game, and driving. Shot 50% on 2Fg same as Briscoe.
Clingan - shot blocker, rebounding, scoring inside.
Castle - lock down defender, like Briscoe, did MOST of his scoring driving. (like Briscoe)

So save the "every team has to have guards who can shoot", UCONN's starting back court couldn't shoot.

Spencer 44% and Karaban 38% was the only 2 players for UCONN who had good / above average shooting %. There are several others I can go back and list more that was recently IF YOU LIKE ?

Last edited:
If KY is involved add Arky to the list also. NC why anyone would want to play for Davis their
He didn’t go to Calipari the first time. He doesn’t seem to be considering him this time. His family isn’t hurting for money, Arkansas throwing around big checks likely won’t be a factor.

To me it seems like a choice of staying home (Cal), or playing at a Blue Blood that has wide open playing time for him.

Every analyst in the country is saying he’s far better than his stats seemed last year, I think I’d want to be catching passes from Smith in Pope’s offense if I was him.

Take Smith, Mahaney, McNeeley, Sojockovic, Osobor, Carr, Power, Brea and call it a day with the other four we have coming. Would leave one spot.

Last edited:
I hope nobody expects Stojakovic to contribute much if any next year. He probably needs a year to get right.

So you are saying ALL teams have every key player on the team that can shoot ? NONE of them has a defensive stopper or facilitator, or big who exclusively shots inside the arc ? Not to be ugly, but you do not know what you are talking about. I am not going to dig up tons of proof to show you that, I will look no further than this years NCAA Champion UCONN. ALL starters.

Tristen Newton (guard) - 15.1 PPG (leading scorer) -32.2 minutes per game - 32% 3FG shooter (5.5 attempts per)
Donovan Clingan (center) - 13 PPG (4th leading scorer) - 22.5 minutes per game - 25% 3FG shooter
Stephon Castle (guard) - 11.1 PPG (5th leading scorer) - 27 minutes per game - 26% 3FG shooter (2.2 attempts per)

Three of the five starters where not "shooters", they all had their special abilities they brought to the floor.
Newton - lead guard, set the team up with his 6.2 assist per game, and driving. Shot 50% on 2Fg same as Briscoe.
Castle - lock down defender, like Briscoe, did MOST of his scoring driving. (like Briscoe)

So save the "every team has to have guards who can shoot", UCONN's starting back court could shoot.

Spencer 44% and Karaban 38% was the only 2 players for UCONN who had good / above average shooting %. There are several others I can go bCK AND LIST recently IF YOU LIKE ?

Peja Jr., Smith and Mahaney all on campus this weekend.
Not to mention Otega Oweh, the 6-4 combo guard from Oklahoma is at UK as we speak. He will be a JR. and has 2 years remaining. Averaged 11.4 points 3.8 rebounds per game on 49.3% shooting, 37.7% on threes, so a good shooter. A&M, Oregon and UK are his top 3. Then as they are leaving, Osobor will be in town Monday. After all of these visits, we really need a couple commitments. I think at least 3 are fixing to land. Osobor, Smith, and hopefully one of the top shooting guards / SF.

Last edited:
Yeah , Justin Long needs to know his 2000's comedy movie career is over and time to shut it down. oh thats not Justin Long? Seriously if his dad wasnt Peja, no one would give a damn about this kid. His numbers were atrocious. 52% FT's.. .. nope, if you cant hit FT's, you're doomed at jump shooting.

Reactions: ManitouDan

So save the "every team has to have guards who can shoot", UCONN's starting back court couldn't shoot.

Spencer 44% and Karaban 38% was the only 2 players for UCONN who had good / above average shooting %. There are several others I can go back and list more that was recently IF YOU LIKE ?
Rondo had better players than Wall.

Definitely more ways to win than just being able to have guys that can shoot.

That being said that Uconn team had the 7th best effective FG% in the nation at 56.9%. They were 4th in 2 point FG% at 59.4% and 72nd in 3 point FG% at 35.8%. So someone on that team was definitely shooting well. It doesn't need to be the guard but to have an efficient offense you need SOMEONE.

They also did not turn the ball over 14.5% of their possessions and rebounded near 37% of their misses.

Needless to say they had the number 1 efficient offense in the nation last season.

You don't need 5 shooters certainly especially if they can bring other things to the table like take care of the ball or rebound. But you need some.

Also lets be honest here. Yeah Wall did not win a title here or make a final four but that team won it's first 19 games, went 35-3, earned a 1 seed and made an Elite Eight. They despite not having great shooters were definitely a team capable of winning a title.

Definitely more ways to win than just being able to have guys that can shoot.

That being said that Uconn team had the 7th best effective FG% in the nation at 56.9%. They were 4th in 2 point FG% at 59.4% and 72nd in 3 point FG% at 35.8%. So someone on that team was definitely shooting well. It doesn't need to be the guard but to have an efficient offense you need SOMEONE.

They also did not turn the ball over 14.5% of their possessions and rebounded near 37% of their misses.

Needless to say they had the number 1 efficient offense in the nation last season.

You don't need 5 shooters certainly especially if they can bring other things to the table like take care of the ball or rebound. But you need some.
My points was that you didn't need every player who can shoot. there is only ONE basketball. I said you have to have defense, rebounding, and glue guys to go along with shooters to win. His point was that you had to have guards who can shoot to win, I showed him that UCONNS starting back court did not shoot from THREE point land well, that they was really good at making 2's. It was all to do with the poster saying "We have had enough Briscoe type players who couldn't shoot." I countered with you need guys LIKE Briscoe who can score at the rim (driving and opening up the court for shooters is crucial), defend, get loose balls, and rebound.

Last edited:
My points was that you didn't every player who can shoot. there is only ONE basketball. I said you have to have defense, rebounding, and glue guys to go along with shooters to win. His point was that you had to have guards who can shoot to win, I showed that UCONNS starting back court did not shoot from THREE point land well, that they was really good at making 2's. It was all to do with the poster saying "We have had enough Briscoe type players who couldn't shoot. I countered you need guys LIKE Briscoe who can score at the rim (driving and opening up the court for shooters is crucial), and defend, get loose balls, and rebound.

Oh yeah I completely agree.

Basically as long as a player is bringing something to the table they can be of use

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT