ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen King fans

He should probably start writing it soon if so. No offense but he is pushing 76 years old.

Amazing writer.

I honestly figured he was in his 80's.. if for nothing else than just how long he's been around and the amount of material he has out there.

Stephen King really is a GOAT when it comes to being a prolific genre writer. What he has done for Horror.. I really cant think of anyone else who has had the same impact on their line/genre of work. He's like MJ, except he's been doing it for 50 years.

I honestly figured he was in his 80's.. if for nothing else than just how long he's been around and the amount of material he has out there.

Stephen King really is a GOAT when it comes to being a prolific genre writer. What he has done for Horror.. I really cant think of anyone else who has had the same impact on their line/genre of work. He's like MJ, except he's been doing it for 50 years.
He is to America what Dickens was to England when it comes to cultural influence. Maybe even more so. I mean, King almost single-handedly killed the clown industry (JW Gacy helped as well).

King turned the American imagination on its head when it came to planting the potential seed of doom over the average American town. He managed to move the mythological horrors of our imagination into the house next door, and when he told those stories, we believed him by locking our doors, shutting the blinds, and praying to God that we wouldn't hear a faint knocking at our windows in the middle of the night.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Just finished season one of Yellowjackets. It's a bit King like. A high school girls soccer team crashes in the mountains and goes all Lord of the Flies. It then flashes forward 20 years later. It's a good show; pretty dark but with some humor. It's on Showtime but I don't have that so I bought season 1.
I read Swan Song years ago and remember it being good. Early Dean Koontz is good as well.

Last edited:
Agatha Christie in the mystery genre blows King away in sales. Dean Koontz beats King in the horror genre.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but has anybody read "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. If you like books like "The Stand" you will enjoy this book. Its one of my personal favorites in that genre.
Loved Swan Song. McCammon is really good. You should check out this McCammon short story called "Something Passed By". Yellowjacket Summer is another good McCammon short story.

As for King, love his works. I hope someday to see someone like HBO/Prime/Netflix to make a run at The Stand as a multi-year series over 20 or so episodes. It's just too big of a story to be told in a few episodes on ABC or CBS All Access. Same for the Dark Tower series. They wasted Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey's talents with that insipid attempt at a movie. I'd also like to see The Talisman made into a series. One of my favorite King shorts is "Survivor Type", a story about a surgeon who lost his license and is smuggling dope on a cruise ship to get it back. The ship goes down in a storm, but he escapes in a lifeboat and lands on a barren spit of an island. What ensues is horrific and hilarious, the dark humor of King coming through. It's one of my favorite things about him.

Reactions: mailman85
Agatha Christie in the mystery genre blows King away in sales. Dean Koontz beats King in the horror genre.

Maybe speaking strictly in books and sales.. but his impact on horror as a whole, the many movies and TV and pop culture that were based off of his works.. I know Dean Koontz can't touch King in this regard, and I doubt Agatha can as well.

To me the King movies have been a mixed bag at best. They've tried several times to make Pet Cemetery into a movie but they just can't capture it at all or even come close.

The father sitting at the kitchen table getting drunk coming to grips with digging his dead kid up in a fit of grief then burying him in that Pet Cemetery... full well knowing he will be a soulless monster but his grief is unspeakable and he'll do anything... while you sit there with the father getting drunk then the kid comes home and you hear that door rattle... well there is no way for a movie to fully capture the unbearable suspense and tension of that sublimely written perfection. The book is unbearable and unputdownable all at the same time.

Reactions: christophero
Maybe speaking strictly in books and sales.. but his impact on horror as a whole, the many movies and TV and pop culture that were based off of his works.. I know Dean Koontz can't touch King in this regard, and I doubt Agatha can as well.
I agree with you about King being the best and most iconic horror writer. I was actually surprised to see that Koontz had outsold King.

Last edited:
King's talent is making the supernatural believeable. If it is believable then it is scary. This rarely is captured in his films. A few do. IT is 1100 pages and grabbed me on page one. The way he describes the rain, being stuck in bed with a cold. The way he describes Ben walking home alone from the library on a cold winter night. The details.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDHoss
Misery was good. But I think that falls in between the criteria.
I disagree with the poster that said Duma Key was unfinishable. I liked that one. Very long, though.
I also enjoyed Cell. Not high brow entertainment, but none of King is.
Under the Dome was really good but damn it was long.
11/22/1963 was amazing. Not horror, but still great.
Joyland wasn't bad. Different, though.

Those are just off the top of my head.

I do agree that the collections are excellent. Different Seasons alone spawned 3 major motion pictures and the one that didn't get made should have. I loved the Dark Tower Series but was reading them in real time when they came out and never expected him to finish them so I stopped after the 4th (I think) book.

Pet Cemetary was the absolute tops for me. It literally scared the shyt out of me and yet I couldn't stop reading it. King's best IMO. I also enjoyed the original Bachman Books. But, I'm a bit surprised Rage hasn't been purged from his lexicon of works, for obvious reasons.
I thought The Tommyknockers was awful and I am a avid sci-fi-horror fan.

Reactions: LOL_Man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT