ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to think Pope did a purge with his players meetings

Exactly.....

1. Bradshaw and Ugo with Somto and Quantance comgin in.....that wasn't going to work
2. Edwards and Dilly were always going NBA no matter how crappy the stats turned out (Dilly for sure didn't put up bad stats)
3. Adou hit portal before Cal to Arkansas was announced
4. DJ was always iffy with the year he put up and did we want to play with Boogie Fland

etc....

So this isn't shocking....this is what the roster singed up for and one of the main reasons Cal had to get out of here.

But Pope needs to build a roster of kids and not get enamored with some Norman Dale mindset. The guys he'll get in portal will in most cases be single year mercenaries as well. It will take a bit to get multi year kid plans to UK....so we shouldn't poo poo kids like Ivisic, Quantance, Burks in particular, etc...coming here for 2025
All good points. Had Cal returned, the only difference in rosters might be something like: Z, Knox, Quaintance, Fland, Cyril, maybe Richmond
vs some experienced transfers.

Reactions: catben and K_TIME
Because when they finished their one on one he said good pitch but I'm going to Arkansas
I was sent here by the cow to waste your time, because I'm still believing he's the best shot at a title...... Hey we went through that too big guy. The common theme through the most spectacular failure in UK history was the cow.

Reactions: NociHTTP
All good points. Had Cal returned, the only difference in rosters might be something like: Z, Knox, Quaintance, Fland, Cyril, maybe Richmond
vs some experienced transfers.
Remember this!! We all saw the writing on the wall with his lack of shooting next year and we all know the defensive schemes and spacing will be screwed.

Think about roster restrictions. And look at the games. There’s no substitute for actually looking for yourself.
Kenpom actually takes the emotion and bias out of it vs your “eye test”. That is sort of the point. You are going to be biased (one way or another) when you view something. You are also watching and making judgement about off of a sample size vs KenPom taking into account ALL games.

We already have way more than 4 million dollars. Pope will be fine. Get on board.
Already on board! 4.5 million is not way more! Need Almost double that. Get on board and give! It will require all of us to get what we want this year. Quit reacting like everything written is a negative!

. The players didn't take the recruiting from the recruiter. Pope tried.
This is why I didn't want a player coach. I don't wanna feel bad for Pope. He has only recruited mormons. He may be out of his league. He has never tried or landed 5 stars or elite talent. We gave the keys to a rookie. Gonna have to hope he gets better
GTFO clown Arkansas, Duke, Kansa are calling your name

Honestly, Pope's message is just a lot different than Cal's. That doesn't mean it can't work with some of the current players, but it's a complete 180 sales-pitch than what actually brought them to UK in the first place.

I don't think Pope is pushing any of them out the door - I don't see that at all. But as far as Pope's message, again, it's just very, very different than what actually sold these guys to come to UK in the first place - aside from Reed, Perry, and probably Hart

Cal is going to Cal. He has a marketing background. He can sell. $500 says the minute he knew he was gone he let every player know and already started the sales pitch.. I keep telling my 2 younger sons that the whole class is gone. Get over it. Move on. It will get better with time... The day's of getting anyone we want are gone. Have to create a new culture. If Mark has success here the recruits will come...

I said this before Pope was even hired. It was going to be a challenge for the new coach to deal with the stigma of what UK had become under Cal.

Remember the incoming recruits were in kindergarten when AD and Kentucky won the championship in 2012. They don’t even know Kentucky as anything other than the Cal NBA branding of UK.

It will take time to get rid of that reputation.

Thing is, only Reed and Z fit Pope's system

Theiro, DJ and Edwards aren't good enough shooters. Bradshaw isn't a shooter or good passer. Ugo was an offensive liability.

Rob, Reeves, and Tre would have been good but they're all pro bound before Pope got here.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96

Theiro, DJ and Edwards aren't good enough shooters. Bradshaw isn't a shooter or good passer. Ugo was an offensive liability.

Rob, Reeves, and Tre would have been good but they're all pro bound before Pope got here.
Exactly and don't want the culture back, not at all and willing to wait

Cal is going to Cal. He has a marketing background. He can sell. $500 says the minute he knew he was gone he let every player know and already started the sales pitch.. I keep telling my 2 younger sons that the whole class is gone. Get over it. Move on. It will get better with time... The day's of getting anyone we want are gone. Have to create a new culture. If Mark has success here the recruits will come...
If Cal was still getting his pick of the litter every year he would still be here. Unfortunately that stopped back in 2016-17ish and he has been unable to adjust or make any positive changes since.

If the whole class leaves so be it. I’d love for a few to stay but I forced myself to get over it as well.

The only players he has mentioned by name are Reed and Perry. I am not aware of him mentioning anyone else.

I'm still holding out hope for Thiero, but it is quickly fading.
Pope's comments on Sunday regarding the differences between a sense of "entitlement" and "gratitude", to me, was telling about how he will pick and choose. The comparison of fruits from each of these human sentiments is so TRUE. Cal's system tried to profit from an entitlement attitude in these players, IMO, and does little to build true character for life, regardless of winning and losing. What we may be seeing from Pope is a purge of some of these players and should have been expected. I especially hate to see a belief that only Calipari can provide a path to the NBA, which is laughable. Cal was simply playing a "numbers game" getting as many players into the League as possible to validate his coaching prowess, which has been exposed as being flawed. I couldn't be happier to have CMP lead this program going forward. Gonna be fine and fun. Just be patient and let things play out ... parties just getting started.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP and catben

I would say Theiro and DJ and Edwards are adequate shooters. DJ is better than his %. I think injury & missing games affected him, Edwards shot pretty well 2nd half of season. Theiro hasn't shot a lot, but wasn't bad, with more practice I would expect him to improve. Unless it is a high volume shooter, 35% is adequate, 40% is good. I think those 3 could all reach 35% (barely) next year.

Pope's comments on Sunday regarding the differences between a sense of "entitlement" and "gratitude", to me, was telling about how he will pick and choose. The comparison of fruits from each of these human sentiments is so TRUE. Cal's system tried to profit from an entitlement attitude in these players, IMO, and does little to build true character for life, regardless of winning and losing. What we may be seeing from Pope is a purge of some of these players and should have been expected. I especially hate to see a belief that only Calipari can provide a path to the NBA, which is laughable. Cal was simply playing a "numbers game" getting as many players into the League as possible to validate his coaching prowess, which has been exposed as being flawed. I couldn't be happier to have CMP lead this program going forward. Gonna be fine and fun. Just be patient and let things play out ... parties just getting started.
Damn!! Talking about exposing the cow!!
This is so true that damn entitled culture of freshman refusing to squat on defense and give everything they have for the name on the front. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!! I'll take team and winning over me me all day everyday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT