ADVERTISEMENT

Starter Motorcycle Advice

TheBigBlueSpectacle

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2015
Any riders here? Interested in a first bike and I don’t want to kill myself. I would ultimately see myself between 750-1100CC BUT NOT YET NO WAY

I just want to get setter and have read between 150CC and 500CC is ideal for a first bike. I go 6’2” about 205. I hate the idea of a huge bike or a crotch rocket

Was looking at a cheap Yamaha V Star 250. Any specific advice or other models I should look at? I do like the Indians and Harley Street models. Eventually

Last edited:
pink_vespa_lx_sized.jpg

You're on the right track. Something Japanese (easy to maintain) and 300cc - 500cc. You can find some older models for cheap to buzz around on. Suzuki VF, Honda XR (dual sport), or Rebel/Shadow.

Reactions: TheBigBlueSpectacle
You're on the right track. Something Japanese (easy to maintain) and 300cc - 500cc. You can find some older models for cheap to buzz around on. Suzuki VF, Honda XR (dual sport), or Rebel/Shadow.
Thank ya. When the time comes I think this is the route I’ll go

There's a zillion different bikes to choose from out there, I've owned 5 Hondas and 3 Yamahas, the Hondas never missed a lick and the Yamahas were good except for one I had with minor carb issues. I would seriously consider getting a bike with ABS, it can safe your life.

A nice choice IMO would be a Honda CBR 500R with ABS less than $7000 new. Buy one used ride it a few years then sell it and get most of your money back and upgrade. That's what I did for many years.

Also consider taking a motorcycle safety course. If the state you live in requires a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license, you may be able to get that waived if you go through a safety course.

Lastly - when you're riding always assume that a car on a side street is going to pull out in front of you at the worse possible time, and have a plan to stop or evade the car. After you have ridden awhile you will swear there are a lot of blind people driving cars. Motorcycles are a heck of a lot of fun but you have to drive defensively all the time.

Last edited:
My first bike was a Honda CL-360 when I was 15.
OSZ3PTQ3NDI

It was great for riding around town and even some trails but not well suited for the freeway. It could do freeway speeds, but that was nearing it's speed limit and the vibration was annoying.

I was nearly killed several times by cars that didn't see me. Also, you have to be very careful on gravel as it can easily slide out from under you. Happened to me.

I absolutely loved riding bikes when I was young. I've since decided it's too dangerous and will live without one. If you get one, I hope you are very careful. Even if you are, you're still taking a big risk. Good luck.

There's a zillion different bikes to choose from out there, I've owned 5 Hondas and 3 Yamahas, the Hondas never missed a lick and the Yamahas were good except for one I had with minor carb issues. I would seriously consider getting a bike with ABS, it can safe your life.

A nice choice IMO would be a Honda CBR 500R with ABS less than $7000 new. Buy one used ride it a few years then sell it and get most of your money back and upgrade. That's what I did for many years.

Also consider taking a motorcycle safety course. If the state you live in requires a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license, you may be able to get that waived if you go through a safety course.

Lastly - when you're riding always assume that a car on a side street is going to pull out in front of you at the worse possible time, and have a plan to stop or evade the car. After you have ridden awhile you will swear there are a lot of blind people driving cars. Motorcycles are a heck of a lot of fun but you have to drive defensively all the time.
Agree all around. What I had read was a cruiser may be more my speed and size overall but I do want to keep it 500 or below. At least for now

Reactions: Deeeefense
General rule: Don't touch interstates.
Yeah exactly. I have no reason to be on them. I’m in the middle of three decent size cities and can get to all of them via backroads or putter around the smaller town I live in located centered among all three of them. We are talking backroad riding, grocery store runs, getting a haircut, etc

You might consider a naked. That's what I ride, and solely for the fact that they sit like a dirt bike. Foot pegs are directly underneath you and they have actual handlebars instead of clip-ons. And they're usually geared for low and mid range power, rather than top speed. All while being as light and maneuverable as a supersport.

I have an 850cc Yamaha (FZ09). It weighs 415 lb wet.

Whatever you get, try to start in the 600cc range. After a year or so, you'll wish you had something with a little more power to get yourself out of trouble if you go too small. Few cars will even notice you're on the road with them, back country or city streets or highway, doesn't matter... So something that can quickly get you out of harms way is a necessity.

Take the safety course. The things you learn in them will save your life.

How old are you? Not being personal, but if your past you're mid-30's without having riding experience during your younger years, I would humbly offer this: Don't do it. That is not the time of life to try and learn the reflexes and awareness that you need to make what is an already dangerous proposition, as safe is at can be. (And make no mistake, it's NOT a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN)

And if you have a family and school aged children, it's a selfish thing to do.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
How old are you? Not being personal, but if you're past you're mid-30's without having riding experience during your younger years, I would humbly offer this: Don't do it. That is not the time of life to try and learn the reflexes and awareness that you need to make what is an already dangerous proposition, as safe is at can be. (And make no mistake, it's NOT a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN)

And if you have a family and school aged children, it's a selfish thing to do.
Just my opinion.

Nonsense. I got my motorcycle endorsement at 38. It's too late to be a professional racer, sure, but to cruise and have some fun? You don't need superhuman reflexes to ride. I recommend it for everybody, even if you're just commuting to work and nothing else.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. Learning any new skill gets more difficult as you get older:

Languages

Music

Balance and coordination

It's just that when you make a mistake learning a foreign language, you're not likely to end up dead or in a wheel chair.
I realize my advice/opinion was unsolicited, but I thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

Reactions: blubo and chroix
Like I said, it's just my opinion. Learning any new skill gets more difficult as you get older:

Languages

Music

Balance and coordination

It's just that when you make a mistake learning a foreign language, you're not likely to end up dead or in a wheel chair.
I realize my advice/opinion was unsolicited, but I thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I lived it.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Rode bikes all my life starting with a dirt bike. The last bike I had was a Honda Gold Wing 1300cc. Rode it cross country twice about 15 yrs ago.

I have always been a risk taker...skydiving, scuba diving etc., as I grow older (68 now) and with so many people on drugs and inconsiderate drivers out there, I miss riding but never again.

Any riders here? Interested in a first bike and I don’t want to kill myself. I would ultimately see myself between 750-1100CC BUT NOT YET NO WAY

I just want to get setter and have read between 150CC and 500CC is ideal for a first bike. I go 6’2” about 205. I hate the idea of a huge bike or a crotch rocket

Was looking at a cheap Yamaha V Star 250. Any specific advice or other models I should look at? I do like the Indians and Harley Street models. Eventually
Get the bike?
Still alive?
Any close calls?

Wear a helmet and learn how to treat road rash. Every motorcycle owner I know has had to deal with contacting the pavement at some point. This video is about cycling road rash but the first aid principle is the same.

Wear a helmet and learn how to treat road rash. Every motorcycle owner I know has had to deal with contacting the pavement at some point. This video is about cycling road rash but the first aid principle is the same.

Good video, good advice. But the best way to treat road rash is to avoid it. Wear the proper gear. ATGATT. All the gear all the time.

Reactions: DSmith21
Get the bike?
Still alive?
Any close calls?

Really appreciate the follow up, guys!

So I took the basic rider safety at my local dealership in late Feb. Class was on a Harley Street 500 which has been wrecked a thousand times. They give it to you for that purpose. I took one small spill there.

At 6’2” I have learned quickly I need some forward foot configuration and settled on a used 2011 Fat Boy. It’s a 96 cubic inch twin cam and I’m in love with it. Since bringing it home in March, I have not laid it on the ground and the only near miss I had was a kid who was driving recklessly putting several people at risk in my own neighborhood. I started out within my residential s and slowly ventured out. I’m now out all over my town and am having a blast

For gear I spent money on armored pants, shirts, jackets etc from RevZilla. Im
Probably a little over cautious right now but it’s kept me out of any issues. People have pulled out in front of me, came into my lane etc but when you assume it’s coming then the adjustment is pretty simple. It’s dangerous out there no doubt but with the right caution I’m having an absolute blast with this thing. Thanks for asking!

Good looking bike. Big, comfy seat.
Thanks! I had it in my head I would go 500 Cc or less on a first bike but this one doesn’t get away from me. It’s low so easy to handle some extra weight, and I was warned if I get a 500 I’ll be bored with it quickly. I honestly have no reason to ever step away from this one

Thanks! I had it in my head I would go 500 Cc or less on a first bike but this one doesn’t get away from me. It’s low so easy to handle some extra weight, and I was warned if I get a 500 I’ll be bored with it quickly. I honestly have no reason to ever step away from this one

You would've. You made the right choice.

I rode mine for the first few months in B Mode. It dampens the throttle response and takes about 10hp off the top. It's meant for rain and whatnot, but I used it full time. Once I got my bearings, I was glad I could just push a button and get more bike instead of having to buy another one.

Might be fine for a kid to burn through motorcycles as they grow, but I've got other things I could spend that money on.

Reactions: TheBigBlueSpectacle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT