ADVERTISEMENT

St. Josephs is the seventh non conference game announced

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Kentucky has yet to officially announce its 2023-24 non-conference schedule, but St. Joe's is the seventh reported game on next season's schedule, joining Kansas at the United Center in Chicago for the Champions Classic (Nov. 14), Miami at Rupp Arena for the inaugural ACC-SEC Challenge (Nov. 28), UNC-Wilmington at Rupp Arena on Dec. 2, the CBS Sports Classic vs. North Carolina, Ohio State, or UCLA (Dec. 16), at Louisville (TBA) and vs. Gonzaga (TBA).

I still can't believe we got paired with freakin' Miami for the ACC Challenge. Weak.
Agreed. It’s not a real “sexy” matchup. However, Miami is a very solid team. They’re coming off a F4 berth last season, and an E8 the season prior. Not to mention, Larranaga is a damn good coach. Not quite sure who all they return, but they should be a tough game. I’m happy it’s at Rupp.

Still, would much rather it be duke, especially at home. It’s comical how often duke is able to dodge playing us. It’s been going on for years, decades even. Chicken shits.

Agreed. It’s not a real “sexy” matchup. However, Miami is a very solid team. They’re coming off a F4 berth last season, and an E8 the season prior. Not to mention, Larranaga is a damn good coach. Not quite sure who all they return, but they should be a tough game. I’m happy it’s at Rupp.

Still, would much rather it be duke, especially at home. It’s comical how often duke is able to dodge playing us. It’s been going on for years, decades even. Chicken shits.
Correction, Duke doesn’t want to play us in Rupp.

We play them every 3 years in the Champions Classic. On a neutral floor, of course.

They just don’t want to face the wrath of 20,000+ fans who absolutely hate everything related to Duke.

Can’t really blame them.

We play them every 3 years in the Champions Classic. On a neutral floor, of course.

They just don’t want to face the wrath of 20,000+ fans who absolutely hate everything related to Duke.

Can’t really blame them.
I get what you're trying to say, but that should be the reason those players go to school like Duke is to play in that kind of games. I think it's almost criminal that UK doesn't play a school like Duke more often. That's a fans type of game. I do understand we have to plày a few cupcakes, though. Kentucky -Duke is a different type of game. One thing I hate about the Champions Classic it opens the season against a Duke or Kansas and that'd be better suited for everyone involved if that game was at least 3-4 games deep in the schedule.

Can’t really blame them.
Right. That’s what I meant. They don’t wanna play us at home. Never have.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Hope Joe ends better than Peter...
resize

Miami is probably the best team in the ACC atm. It's just not a marquee name matchup. Could've put Miami-Florida and it would've been a good rivalry matchup. But no.

Is what it is.
Miami lost basically their whole team, they did however add some high profile guys in the transfer portal. They will be good, and well-coached like always, but Wong is finally gone and he was their engine. Duke is preseason #1/2 with Kansas depending on the ranking.

Miami lost basically their whole team, they did however add some high profile guys in the transfer portal. They will be good, and well-coached like always, but Wong is finally gone and he was their engine. Duke is preseason #1/2 with Kansas depending on the ranking.
I really don't give two flips about preseason rankings. Duke may have won the ACC tourney, but we all saw how awful they were at times. Duke will be better this season, but Scheyer is still pretty unproven.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I really don't give two flips about preseason rankings. Duke may have won the ACC tourney, but we all saw how awful they were at times. Duke will be better this season, but Scheyer is still pretty unproven.
If we land this Croatian guy, is there a team in the country that can match us in talent? I venture to say no, there isn’t. Yes, duke is talented, but not as much as we will be with that signing IMO. KU has a good blend of talent and experience, but we have more than them, too. JMO.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
If we land this Croatian guy, is there a team in the country that can match us in talent? I venture to say no, there isn’t. Yes, duke is talented, but not as much as we will be with that signing IMO. KU has a good blend of talent and experience, but we have more than them, too. JMO.

I agree with this.

I already think we are top-5 overall in terms of talent, and I think the Croatian kid puts us over the top, there wouldn't be a roster that I'd rather have.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Miami is probably the best team in the ACC atm. It's just not a marquee name matchup. Could've put Miami-Florida and it would've been a good rivalry matchup. But no.

Is what it is.
It’s close I would give duke the edge but Miami is really good also

Eh, now there's eligibility issues creeping up. I'm beginning to think this might be Enes 2.0

Hoping we make a trip to the Palestra on the back end.
Speaking my language. I ran the Palestra for a couple of years when I worked in the athletic department at Penn. Amazing place to watch a basketball game and would be a great place to play.

I think Duke will have lottery talent sophomores in Proctor and Filipowski. UK will have lottery talent freshman. Getting Reeves back was huge for UK, no doubt, as it added experience and a shooter. There are rumblings that McCain for Duke is looking like a sure-fire starter and a potential lottery pick too, he was a 5-star but not a top end one.

Speaking my language. I ran the Palestra for a couple of years when I worked in the athletic department at Penn. Amazing place to watch a basketball game and would be a great place to play.
While I was stationed at Edgewood Arsenal Maryland, I took a trip to the Palestra for a cbb double header. UK Penn was the second game. The Issel, Pratt, Casey team

IIRC UK led 33-11 with 11:33 left in the first half and had not missed a shot. Right after that, Mike Casey finally missed one.

While I was stationed at Edgewood Arsenal Maryland, I took a trip to the Palestra for a cbb double header. UK Penn was the second game. The Issel, Pratt, Casey team

IIRC UK led 33-11 with 11:33 left in the first half and had not missed a shot. Right after that, Mike Casey finally missed one.
Good stuff! They have displays all around the concourse of the greats that have played or coached games there and Rupp is on one of the displays. The AD while I was at Penn (Steve Bilsky) was a guard on that Penn team. Those late 60's early 70's Penn teams were pretty good.

Here are all of the games we know of so far:

• Nov. 6: vs. New Mexico State | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Nov. 14: vs. Kansas | Champions Classic | United Center, Chicago, IL
  • Nov. 20: vs. St. Joe’s | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • TBA: vs. Stonehill | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • TBA: vs. Texas A&M University-Commerce | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Nov. 28: vs. Miami | ACC/SEC Challenge | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Dec. 2: vs. UNC Wilmington | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Dec. 16: vs. TBD | CBS Sports Classic | State Farm Arena, Atlanta, GA
  • Dec. 21 at Louisville | KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, KY
  • Dec. 29 vs. Illinois State | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • TBA: vs. Gonzaga | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
We’re almost there, BBN.

Reactions: BlueWhite21

Duke is 7-2 in there last 9 games vs Ky. What are they dodging?

Here are all of the games we know of so far:

• Nov. 6: vs. New Mexico State | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Nov. 14: vs. Kansas | Champions Classic | United Center, Chicago, IL
  • Nov. 20: vs. St. Joe’s | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • TBA: vs. Stonehill | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • TBA: vs. Texas A&M University-Commerce | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Nov. 28: vs. Miami | ACC/SEC Challenge | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Dec. 2: vs. UNC Wilmington | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • Dec. 16: vs. TBD | CBS Sports Classic | State Farm Arena, Atlanta, GA
  • Dec. 21 at Louisville | KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, KY
  • Dec. 29 vs. Illinois State | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
  • TBA: vs. Gonzaga | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
We’re almost there, BBN.
Thank you Smash, I don't have the patience or knowledge to arrange the upcoming schedule as you have..You're a winner.

I don’t think they are dodging UK, I think they are dodging playing UK at Rupp.

The same is probably true for UK and playing Duke at Cameron.
Can't argue that at all. Maybe the ACC-SEC challenge will set it up sometime. We know it wont be next year though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT