SP+ Preseason Projections for 2023 Season - Kentucky 24th

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018

Kentucky:
24th overall
59th ranked offense
6th ranked defense

takes into account returning production, recruiting, and incoming transfers returning production. Two more preseason updates in May and August. Other opponents:

UGA -1st
UT - 6th
Florida - 20th (hmmm)
Miss St - 23rd
UofL - 36th

How does 59th on offense compare with 2022 offense? Can't believe that we shouldn't be at least as good if not better this coming year. 6th best defense? That might be spot on. We've got a lot of talent in each level and plenty of good, quality depth. If we find a consistent pass rush, the D could be downright nasty.

I'll have to wait on UT - feel like they lost a lot and were still somewhat sneaking up on teams with the offensive system they run. Think more teams will figure ways to slow down/stop their O. MSU at 23 after losing their head coach and, presumably, changing the entire scheme? I'll have to see that, too. UofL lost a ton of their offensive production with Cunningham's graduation. Yet, they're going to be top 40? We'll see.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Moderately surprised. S&P is usually not a big fan of us because of our tendency to play close and ugly games, especially with inferior teams.

Kentucky:
24th overall
59th ranked offense
6th ranked defense

takes into account returning production, recruiting, and incoming transfers returning production. Two more preseason updates in May and August. Other opponents:

UGA -1st
UT - 6th
Florida - 20th (hmmm)
Miss St - 23rd
UofL - 36th
This is probably pretty fair - however, I think our offense will be in the top 30 this year. We were lower offensively last year because of the OC more than because of the offensive line. I'm not saying the line was good last year - I'm just saying that it never got going under the new coaches and new specifically the new OC's program. I think the line play was getting better and I also believe that Coach Yenser is going to be fine in the long run. But even though we have 3 "cupcakes" by other peoples standards - we also a very, very hard schedule! Winning 8 games is a very good year with our schedule - but having said that - I think we will win 9 or more - but its always based on injuries. UK has improved its depth tremendously over the last few years - but its still not where it could be. All in all - I think the fans will have another great year to cheer on the Cats!

Go Big Blue!

We play 3 of the top 6 next year by this metric.

Florida and Billy play 5 of the top 13th 😬

Last year: Scoring Offense, 112th.
Total (Yardage) Offense: . . .116th.

If we jump to 59th, Coen gets votes for Governor.

If above 30th, “Governor Coen,” has a damn nice ring to it.
Where did Kentucky's offense rank in Coen's first year - 36th? I think that is a realistic target to match or beat. Again, barring minimal injuries.

Go Big Blue!

Where did Kentucky's offense rank in Coen's first year - 36th? I think that is a realistic target to match or beat. Again, barring minimal injuries.

Go Big Blue!
All I’m finding for 21/22 is 53rd in scoring, 51st in yardage. This ranking includes all of FBS. I, too, remember a ranking in the 30’s, but that might have been among P5?

Check it out and see if I’m reading it right:

[To flip from scoring to yardage, just tap the little arrow next to the category you want ranked, and it re-ranks them all.]

All I’m finding for 21/22 is 53rd in scoring, 51st in yardage. This ranking includes all of FBS. I, too, remember a ranking in the 30’s, but that might have been among P5?

Check it out and see if I’m reading it right:

[To flip from scoring to yardage, just tap the little arrow next to the category you want ranked, and it re-ranks them all.]
I think it is all Hack. The list I saw had 131 teams and UK was 36th.

Go Big Blue!

I think it is all Hack. The list I saw had 131 teams and UK was 36th.

Go Big Blue!
That site allows you to count only regular season, and exclude playoffs and bowls, and doing so jumped us to 30th in scoring offense out of 131.

I'll have to wait on UT - feel like they lost a lot and were still somewhat sneaking up on teams with the offensive system they run. Think more teams will figure ways to slow down/stop their O. MSU at 23 after losing their head coach and, presumably, changing the entire scheme? I'll have to see that, too. UofL lost a ton of their offensive production with Cunningham's graduation. Yet, they're going to be top 40? We'll see.
I think UT's impressive bowl win against Clemson helps out their preseason ranking. They didn't sneak up on Clemson given the amount of preparation time. It also showed that maybe that South Carolina loss was a fluke afterall.

I think UT's impressive bowl win against Clemson helps out their preseason ranking. They didn't sneak up on Clemson given the amount of preparation time. It also showed that maybe that South Carolina loss was a fluke afterall.
Yeah. Heupels been running the offense close to it’s current form since Mizzou so 7 yrs now and it just keeps getting better.

Post-spring practice/roster moves updates are out:

• Kentucky moves up to 22nd overall from 24th.
  • Kentucky's defense moves up from 6th to 5th.
  • Kentucky's offense remains at 59th.
Kentucky is 55th in terms of returning production (64% of production is returning).

Post-spring practice/roster moves updates are out:

• Kentucky moves up to 22nd overall from 24th.
  • Kentucky's defense moves up from 6th to 5th.
  • Kentucky's offense remains at 59th.
Kentucky is 55th in terms of returning production (64% of production is returning).

Impressive in name. But that Clemson team was not a good team. Especially offensively. Certain with Levis we would beat them as well. Along with probably at least half the conference maybe more. They had cupcake schedule which helped them stay in the rankings.

Impressive in name. But that Clemson team was not a good team. Especially offensively. Certain with Levis we would beat them as well. Along with probably at least half the conference maybe more. They had cupcake schedule which helped them stay in the rankings.
Clemson was down big last year and their offense was downright bad. But they always have a lot of talent. I think a game against Clemson last year would have been a ton of fun but can’t call it a certain win after Vandy game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT