ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina Notes

TTU/UK fan

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2011
Rewatched the entire SC/ODU game and just going to list off important notes:

-The #1 thing is SC had absolutely no business winning this game. The amount of things that went their way and still couldn't put ODU away easily, is pretty bad if you're an SC fan. And having to settle for so many FGs isn't going to work in SEC play. That offesne needs fixing and quickly. One thing I noticed in looking at ODU's past however is they have been in 1 possession battles with 4 of their last 5 Power 4 opponents now. With 1 win.

-Brock will absolutely have to get the ball out faster this game. SC has some crazy speed with their edge rushers. Probably the 2 best looking players of the game. Definitely the most concerning thing I saw from SC. ODU's QB did a good job getting the ball out quick most of the time.

-SC's OL looks worse than any line I have ever seen UK have. They seemed to have a decent 3rd quarter, but there was plenty of penetration by the defense most of the game. And the early fumble by ODU that set SC up near the goalline really opened eyes, as SC was getting pushed around up front way more than an SEC OL should.

-Rocket Sanders looked better than I thought the stats showed, but I think he is a very good back for our DL to face because he is almost purely an in-between the tackles back, with mediocre speed. Almost a perfect back for UK with Walker and JDJ in the middle. Not sure he will have much success against us. Don't think he will ever have his pre-injury speed back.

-I thought SC's defense was better than the score showed. The first TD they allowed seemed like confusion and blown coverage. Didn't see it happen again after that downfield. Once you watch the whole game, you realize how much that defense kept getting thrown out there with hardly any rest. Leading into halftime, ODU's final 5 drives were: -6yds, -3yds, 0yds, -7yds, and 20yds. Then after the ODU TD on their opening drive of the 2nd half, SC's D allowed only 2 FGs (both were ODU starting with good field position) on the final 5 drives. Even with SC's offense unable to have a drive over 2 minutes on their final 5 drives. The 2 TD drives were a busted coverage and a 4th & 7 QB run up the middle past an all out blitz on the edges. Most of the ODU passing game was short passes that SC was giving to them.

-Sellers has athleticism, but looks to have a ways to go. Seemed like Beamer didn't even really trust him to throw. Didn't really do enough "easy" passes to get him in the groove. Seemed like a bad coaching job. Like Beamer forgot he is starting a RS freshman in his first start. That offense is bad. That's all there is to it. SC will need to keep us under 20 to have a chance, or have an incredible turnaround.

-IMO if SC doesn't score a TD by half, you'll likely see Ashford (former Auburn QB) for the 2nd half. Not sure the point in keeping Sellers out there if you are just wanting to run over and over. Sellers is a good runner, but Ashford is almost undeniably better and has won games doing so.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.