ADVERTISEMENT

Sources say

And the student intern working the desk overheard it while scrolling her Instagram and eating Taco Bell… “I’ve got to get this news to the podcast guys”

Just comical.
Well , if it’s true ….. I love her ! I don’t give a damn where accurate information comes from .

Who even knows what to make of West Coast basketball going forward though. Arizona is going through some BIG issues right now: New AD, conference realignment, budgetary issues.. I think Tommy Lloyd will be gone from Arizona in a year or 2, no matter what. That ship is taking on water, and if I'm Lloyd, I'm not waiting around for them to patch it up.

He's my #2 after Hurley.. Might even be closer to Hurley as he is to whoever is 3rd (Hurley's comments recently are rubbing me the wrong way).. He did a heck of a job these first few years at Arizona, and he's very young compared to his peers.
It's not so much about the basketball but the quality of life. Left coasters are snobs because of their beautiful mountains and wide open spaces and such. Also much wealthier. Moving back east is almost like a step down to a 3rd world country to them.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
It's not so much about the basketball but the quality of life. Left coasters are snobs because of their beautiful mountains and wide open spaces and such. Also much wealthier. Moving back east is almost like a step down to a 3rd world country to them.

Agree.. But that IS something Arizona has going for it over UK... Tuscon/Phoenix > Lexintong/Louisville. I'm sure some won't agree, but that's probably how the majority of the US feels.

When coaches see you can make the kind of money Cal does and have a 9-16 season and have a 4 year span like he has recently and it be acceptable, I’d say a lot of coaches would want this job. Last I checked popovich was the only coach making more than Cal in the nba.
I think a lot of coaches would rather be Bruce pearl...be a top 5 paid coach, be able to bring a couple 5 stars in every year, advance past the 2nd rd one time in a decade, have a few losing seasons, 64% win record, and never have to worry about any noise ever

I think a lot of coaches would rather be Bruce pearl...be a top 5 paid coach, be able to bring a couple 5 stars in every year, advance past the 2nd rd one time in a decade, have a few losing seasons, 64% win record, and never have to worry about any noise ever
I wish I could have a job like that lol I think we could all agree on that

Mitch didn’t reach out to anyone.

Someone on here had it right yesterday. Mitch was caught with his pants down.

He had said several weeks ago the mens and womens programs would be evaluated after the tourneys.

He knew the women had no shot and planned to let her go which he did forthwith.

He thot the men would at least get to the sweet 16 with a shot to go further. He was not thinking at all about getting rid of Cal.

The little propaganda video was his reaction to all the fan blowback which caught him asleep at the wheel. He had not and did not look for another coacjh.

I might be wrong...and if I am, please correct me...but, wasn't it Pilgrim that reported late last week about a group of UK donors (all not named Craft) who had a plan to buyout Calipari's contract? I know it was a subject beat to death here on this board but, I am not sure about the original source for that scenario. Pilgrim's name has popped up quite a bit over the last week.

As far as Barnhart is concerned, I don't think he ever seriously considered firing Calipari. And we all know what he thinks of UK fans (remember his microwave comment?) so, is he REALLY listening to us? Very doubtful.

Mitch didn’t reach out to anyone.

Someone on here had it right yesterday. Mitch was caught with his pants down.

He had said several weeks ago the mens and womens programs would be evaluated after the tourneys.

He knew the women had no shot and planned to let her go which he did forthwith.

He thot the men would at least get to the sweet 16 with a shot to go further. He was not thinking at all about getting rid of Cal.

The little propaganda video was his reaction to all the fan blowback which caught him asleep at the wheel. He had not and did not look for another coacjh.
If anything he went through back channels to see if the timing was right for Drew . If Drew just said he’d have to think about it, that was enough to scare Mitch .

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Personally I’m holding out hope it was Tommy Lloyd….saw some speculation he could be interested in 2025 and everything is setup for him this year to finally stop choking and make a final four. Arizona has equal talent to UNC and is playing the Regional in their backyard (LA) while UNC has to traverse the entire country. If he can’t get it done this year though I would eliminate him from future contention.
Could be Lloyd.. Someone over weekend (maybe Pilgrim?) said there had been some back channel to him. He was interested, but not until next year.

If anything he went through back channels to see if the timing was right for Drew . If Drew just said he’d have to think about it, that was enough to scare Mitch .
This sounds very possible but, would Barnhart have spent the money to buyout Calipari? I mean, if it REALLY came down to it?

Accurate info? Too funny.
I don’t understand what you’re even trying to say . Over the years Ive had a lowly basketball manager, a lowly trainer on the football staff , and a father of a current basketball player tell me things (information if you will ) . I appreciate every bit of it . AND it was/is accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Could be Lloyd.. Someone over weekend (maybe Pilgrim?) said there had been some back channel to him. He was interested, but not until next year.
Thats a good question. I’d say without a guarantee from the only coach he had considered, he didn’t even think about it. He had no appetite for a coaches search at this time .

It's my understanding Wright was put in a awkward situation on live TV when asked about the UK job if it was open. He did a remarkable job of dancing around the question then according to a couple people while off camera said it would be 1 place I can see myself re-entering the coaching ranks.
Then the story took a life of its own.

• Wow
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Who even knows what to make of West Coast basketball going forward though. Arizona is going through some BIG issues right now: New AD, conference realignment, budgetary issues.. I think Tommy Lloyd will be gone from Arizona in a year or 2, no matter what. That ship is taking on water, and if I'm Lloyd, I'm not waiting around for them to patch it up.

He's my #2 after Hurley.. Might even be closer to Hurley as he is to whoever is 3rd (Hurley's comments recently are rubbing me the wrong way).. He did a heck of a job these first few years at Arizona, and he's very young compared to his peers.
Good point on West Coast ball. Also, what comments?

Good point on West Coast ball. Also, what comments?

Hurley's comments? He just can't stop complaining about shit, hammering officials maybe worse than anyone I've ever seen. He's recently complaining about the transfer rule and doesn't think its right/fair/etc.. meanwhile two of his best players are transfers. Complaining about other coaches, complaining about fans,

I'll tell yah this, if we land him.. he better win and win asap.. we won't tolerate his nonsense as a fanbase, and other schools will surely loathe Kentucky even more with him as our coach (similar to how so many loathed Duke with Coach K's act). That's going to be a big problem for him going forward. Guy is a hothead for sure and strikes me as someone who wants and expects the game to just bend over for him, instead of earning it.

Edit: Saw just now, he's whining about his bracket and thinks it's too tough.

I don’t understand what you’re even trying to say . Over the years Ive had a lowly basketball manager, a lowly trainer on the football staff , and a father of a current basketball player tell me things (information if you will ) . I appreciate every bit of it . AND it was/is accurate.
This ^ is soooo true and fans always seem to act like these scenarios are ridiculous. There are people that get info just because of WHO they are or WHERE they are. When my son went to UK he was a good friend of a manager. The manager saw / knew a lot of things. Some good, some bad, some just nothing at all. I don’t really know how these athletic programs hide as much as they do.

Thats a good question. I’d say without a guarantee from the only coach he had considered, he didn’t even think about it. He had no appetite for a coaches search at this time .
He’s the laziest AD in America he has to be ….. If he would’ve put in the work we could’ve had a good basketball coach for next season. I mean just look at all the hires this guy has made and the contracts he has given out….

Pilgrim eluded to that there was a coach that had more interest in the job than you might think. Who do you think he was talking about? Or was he just talking out his a$$?
what difference does it make now, or would have made? mitch already knew who was going to be coach next year.

The more I listen to him the more I’m not sure Pilgrim knows much about anything. He always talks in such generalities and NEVER gives any specifics.

He has been wrong on so many recruits and UK related stuff that I think he just throws vague stuff out there that “he can’t get into specifics on” and then when something becomes public knowledge he “knew it the entire time”
i have never heard him... but this is always "the scoop" that is relayed back here

People I'm confident have no interest:

Jay Wright
Billy Donovan
Hurley
All the NBA coaches
Few

People I doubt have interest:
Lloyd.

I would guess it's from that list.

Hurley is making $5mil at Uconn.. And while I'm sure they will up that soon, will they up it to $10mil?

Further, does Hurley have "lightning in a bottle" with this largely same group of players who seem to be absolutely perfect for winning games.. while his 3-4 teams before last years title all kind of whiffed? Maybe he sees this as a chance to parlay that into a big pay day.

For as much as I want Hurley above anyone else.. the day will come where he has to build an entirely new team. The higher recruiting means guys will leave earlier for the NBA (He almost got Flagg fwiw). A lot of coaches can win a title or two in a small window... there's only like 5 who have proven they can do it with entirely different teams.
Maybe because Flagg lives next door. That would certainly be a consideration for me so that mom and dad can see all the home games. JMHO.

People I'm confident have interest:

Jay Wright
Billy Donovan
Hurley
All the NBA coaches
Few

People I doubt have interest:
Lloyd.

I would guess it's from that list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT