ADVERTISEMENT

Sources say

The more I listen to him the more I’m not sure Pilgrim knows much about anything. He always talks in such generalities and NEVER gives any specifics.

He has been wrong on so many recruits and UK related stuff that I think he just throws vague stuff out there that “he can’t get into specifics on” and then when something becomes public knowledge he “knew it the entire time”

When coaches see you can make the kind of money Cal does and have a 9-16 season and have a 4 year span like he has recently and it be acceptable, I’d say a lot of coaches would want this job. Last I checked popovich was the only coach making more than Cal in the nba.

Of course there's interest. Unfortunately we'll never know. I highly doubt a currently employed coach will willingly divulge that they were interested if called.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The more I listen to him the more I’m not sure Pilgrim knows much about anything. He always talks in such generalities and NEVER gives any specifics.

He has been wrong on so many recruits and UK related stuff that I think he just throws vague stuff out there that “he can’t get into specifics on” and then when something becomes public knowledge he “knew it the entire time”
They all are clueless. One guy manages to get some inside info on Patrick Patterson 20 years ago, now a handful of people who probably couldn't manage a C+ in a Sports Journalism class all have careers in sports media.

What Gives Come On GIF by NCAA March Madness

We would all get to laugh at least. Maybe go back and watch the 2016 round of 32 game and get back to me.

If you can use an instance from 8 years ago, why is Cal judged so rigorously over the past 4 years?

Before anyone says it, yes the last 4 years are unacceptable and not up to our standards and changes have to be made still.

Pilgrim eluded to that there was a coach that had more interest in the job than you might think. Who do you think he was talking about? Or was he just talking out his a$$?

Wright or Donovan? Lol

I wish.

There are plenty that would want the job for 8M reasons, plus the fans, the history, and the facilities, but that doesn't mean a coach wanting UK would be a good fit FOR UK. Obviously, Cal seemed like a good fit at the time he was hired, but some quickly realized it was immediately all about him and no longer about UK once he was hired.

8.5 million a year and you don’t have to win a regular season title, conference tournament, can have the worst season in school history and break the record for most home losses in a row in a single season… and you got a portion of the fans that are happy and defend it??? Hell yeah coaches would want that lmao

Last edited:
8.5 million a year and you don’t have to win a regular season title, conference tournament, can have the worst season in school history and break the record for most home losses in a single season… and you got a portion of the fans that are happy and defend it??? Hell yeah coaches would want that lmao

Great coaches, good coaches, as well as bad coaches and other hookers.

Personally I’m holding out hope it was Tommy Lloyd….saw some speculation he could be interested in 2025 and everything is setup for him this year to finally stop choking and make a final four. Arizona has equal talent to UNC and is playing the Regional in their backyard (LA) while UNC has to traverse the entire country. If he can’t get it done this year though I would eliminate him from future contention.

Wright or Donovan? Lol

I wish.

There are plenty that would want the job for 8M reasons, plus the fans, the history, and the facilities, but that doesn't mean a coach wanting UK would be a good fit FOR UK. Obviously, Cal seemed like a good fit at the time he was hired, but some quickly realized it was immediately all about him and no longer about UK once he was hired.
Of those two, I feel that Donovan would thumb his nose at us. He's a highfalutin. Wright would look professional, ACT professional and communicate well. And he's handsome!

Fanning Hot Mess GIF by ZEPETO

• Haha
Could it have been Wright?

He's gotta be having somewhat of an itch to get back in the game. I know he hates this version of college basketball, but NIL and Transfers.. he can make that work to his advantage. He'd have a top5 NIL bucket of money to use, and Jay Wright coupled with the UK brand means he will have his pick of transfers and attention.

Reactions: deplion
Wasn't there a mention in the past 2 days of a coach (homerun) still playing (S16) who may be interested. I think some of you thought that would be Oats. But I'm wondering if it was Hurley. (partly because I don't think of Oats as a homerun)

Wasn't there a mention in the past 2 days of a coach (homerun) still playing (S16) who may be interested. I think some of you thought that would be Oats. But I'm wondering if it was Hurley. (partly because I don't think of Oats as a homerun)

Hurley is making $5mil at Uconn.. And while I'm sure they will up that soon, will they up it to $10mil?

Further, does Hurley have "lightning in a bottle" with this largely same group of players who seem to be absolutely perfect for winning games.. while his 3-4 teams before last years title all kind of whiffed? Maybe he sees this as a chance to parlay that into a big pay day.

For as much as I want Hurley above anyone else.. the day will come where he has to build an entirely new team. The higher recruiting means guys will leave earlier for the NBA (He almost got Flagg fwiw). A lot of coaches can win a title or two in a small window... there's only like 5 who have proven they can do it with entirely different teams.

No way any of them know something like this.

He was never firing Cal, and if he was gauging interest, him and maybe one, at max, two other extremely trusted people ever knew about it.

So even if you had a source directly inside the ADs office, does anyone think Mitch is just walking around the athletics office like “Just got off the phone with Jay Wright, he’s actually pretty interested”

Complete bs lol

Personally I’m holding out hope it was Tommy Lloyd….saw some speculation he could be interested in 2025 and everything is setup for him this year to finally stop choking and make a final four. Arizona has equal talent to UNC and is playing the Regional in their backyard (LA) while UNC has to traverse the entire country. If he can’t get it done this year though I would eliminate him from future contention.
He’s a purely West Coast guy. He might take the job if offered but can’t see him dreaming about UK. Oats is a guy I could see as dreaming about Kentucky.

He’s a purely West Coast guy. He might take the job if offered but can’t see him dreaming about UK. Oats is a guy I could see as dreaming about Kentucky.

Who even knows what to make of West Coast basketball going forward though. Arizona is going through some BIG issues right now: New AD, conference realignment, budgetary issues.. I think Tommy Lloyd will be gone from Arizona in a year or 2, no matter what. That ship is taking on water, and if I'm Lloyd, I'm not waiting around for them to patch it up.

He's my #2 after Hurley.. Might even be closer to Hurley as he is to whoever is 3rd (Hurley's comments recently are rubbing me the wrong way).. He did a heck of a job these first few years at Arizona, and he's very young compared to his peers.

Ask yourself how Jack would even know. He throws out vague statements like this just like Matty bangs and then when something happens its always, "Oh I knew but I couldn't go into specifics" it's a con game but kudos to them for making it work.

Reactions: Blueaz
No way any of them know something like this.

He was never firing Cal, and if he was gauging interest, him and maybe one, at max, two other extremely trusted people ever knew about it.

So even if you had a source directly inside the ADs office, does anyone think Mitch is just walking around the athletics office like “Just got off the phone with Jay Wright, he’s actually pretty interested”

Complete bs lol
I could see Mitch doing that...and then rubbing his chin and saying, "but I'm just not surrreee."

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Mitch better be working on that coaches list because can't see UK hanging on to Cal after his 2024-2025 Redemption Tour. Of course can never underestimate Mitch's ineptness.

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
When coaches see you can make the kind of money Cal does and have a 9-16 season and have a 4 year span like he has recently and it be acceptable, I’d say a lot of coaches would want this job. Last I checked popovich was the only coach making more than Cal in the nba.
I thought Self just got a raise that put him above Cal? I could be wrong though.

He is now. In the nba last I checked popovich was only one making more. I think self gets like 9.5 million a year now
Still though I get your point what coach wouldn’t want this job when you don’t have to win anything and still get paid handsomely…. Hell Mitch’s phone would ring off the hook when it does come open because they see that dumb@ss from a mile away….

Second time I’ve heard that. It would have to be BillyD or Wright. Thats the only 2 that would be a “more interest than you thought” scenario

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Still though I get your point what coach wouldn’t want this job when you don’t have to win anything and still get paid handsomely…. Hell Mitch’s phone would ring off the hook when it does come open because they see that dumb@ss from a mile away….
I looked it up again and that’s changed in the nba theirs a few coaches that make more than cal now in the NBA.Donovan makes 6 million a year. cal makes 8.5. No way Billy wouldn’t be interested in this job.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
We would all get to laugh at least. Maybe go back and watch the 2016 round of 32 game and get back to me.
So one random game out of 30 years of coaching makes Crean better than....anybody? Damn, dude, you need to logoff for a while. You're losing your mind. I really hope you never experience any REAL tragedy cause judging by the way you're handling this news, you'd need to be institutionalized.

Pilgrim eluded to that there was a coach that had more interest in the job than you might think. Who do you think he was talking about? Or was he just talking out his a$$?
Why is it always so vague? I assume when a person who is habitually wrong makes a claim with no specifics it’s likely BS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT