ADVERTISEMENT

Son joining the Army!

H. Lecter

Freshman
Nov 1, 2012
my son is 19 and told us that he’s not going to continue college for the time being and is joining the Army. I’m an Army veteran myself and am very proud of his decision. I told him I will go with him to talk to recruiter so they don’t screw him around like they did me. I had no one to help me along the way. Any advice for him or me? Do recruiters still lie? What’s the best MOS that translates to the real world?

my son is 19 and told us that he’s not going to continue college for the time being and is joining the Army. I’m an Army veteran myself and am very proud of his decision. I told him I will go with him to talk to recruiter so they don’t screw him around like they did me. I had no one to help me along the way. Any advice for him or me? Do recruiters still lie? What’s the best MOS that translates to the real world?
:americanflag:[thumb2]:americanflag:

Reactions: AustinTXCat

So awesome, man. You're a family of patriots. Love that your son has a lot of maturity and wisdom for 19.

<----- served 20 years regular Army and also worked as a recruiter. I, too, enlisted at 19, soon after dropping out of college.

Couple points. Jobs (MOS) are not assigned/chosen by an individual recruiter, but rather a counselor at the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS). Unfortunately, recruiters take blame or credit for success and/or failure after an applicant enlists. Everybody blames the recruiter. U.S. Army Recruiters (USAREC) are merely first-line representatives to the civilian population.

To have a shot at obtaining a "good" MOS, it is absolutely critical that your son scores high on the ASVAB exam. Higher score = more opportunities. Combat Arms MOS (infantry, armor, artillery, air defense, combat engineers) are always short on personnel. Military Intelligence and linguists (Arabic, Chinese, Russian) are other shortage areas. Depending on his ASVAB score, he might be eligible for an enlistment bonus, contingent on MOS.

If your son has earned college credits, have him obtain a sealed copy of his college transcripts prior to his appointment at MEPS. If he has at least 24 semester hours, he can enter as an E-2. 48 semester hours = E-3. This requirement has changed since I enlisted over 37 years ago. Credit hour requirements were much less for advanced enlistment rank back then. I enlisted as an E-2 with 24 semester hours when the minimum was 15.

Physical: MEPS employs medical doctors for the physical screening. If something is wrong, or he thinks something is wrong, tell the recruiter before going to MEPS. Lots of applicants shoot themselves in the foot talking about asthma they had at age 5 or some stupid allergy.

Above all, congratulations and good luck. I had a freaking blast in the Army, and also endured some really tough times. It's what you make it.

Last edited:
Best advice for you is this. As a dad first, and an Army man yourself, do not over-value your own experiences. I'm an old Army man too. But I've been out of the game since Daniel and Manuel we're kicking their cans in central America. Give your son access to non recruiter types, multiple enlistment service persons, active or former with RECENT military experience in the Army. So much has changed. You will both benefit. Great post, btw. Shows how much you love him. Also, shows how much he values his father's advice. Really nice thread. Beat Navy!

Communications, IT, Electronic warfare, Satellite repair, Transportation, Supply. Helicopter pilot, Intelligence. You can Google just about any MOS the army has and then do some research. Advice for him for Basic training....become Mr. Generic. Do only what the Drill instructors tell him. No more no less. Follow instructions and keep quiet. As an old soldier and a former Drill Instructor I can tell you we hated kiss asses and those who were overly eager to do more than what they were told. Many years back, my son joined the Marines and took that advice and told me it was easy for him just following that mind set.

Also, I work at Ft. Sill now as a Trans assistant and my primary job is setting up transportation for soldiers graduating basic and going to AIT (advanced individual training). So, I deal with Drill Instructors on a regular basis. If your son comes here for basic and you intend to go to the graduation let me know. I will make it a point to show you around and buy a few beers.

There is also green to gold which if he has enough college or wishes to do more, he can request and hopefully go Commission. Also, if he wants to go Airborne or Ranger, get it in the contract prior to signing and not a verbal "he can get it after he gets out of AIT. Very difficult, almost impossible unless his MOS requires it.

Reactions: BBUK
I don’t post much but read the paddock daily to laugh and see what silly shit you guys say. I’ve been hanging out here for 5+ years and this is the nicest shit I’ve ever read!! At the end of the day you guys are genuine and honest but rarely not sarcastic! Thanks for the kind words.
I believe the Army helped me be the confident successful man I am today and am really excited that my son can experience this.

Yes recruiters stretch the truth let's say. Navy being the worst as experienced with my son. Our experience anyway. Best note is YOU are assisting him through process which is big help especially since you are vet. Wish him all the luck and it will serve him well if his heart is in it.

Yeah my recruiter flat out lied to me. My brother had just died at 14 yrs old so I asked to be stationed at ft Knox to be near my mom. He said absolutely if I became a tanker. I did and was stationed in California, South Korea and Texas!! About as far from Knox you could get. I was an angry soldier for a few months!!

Reactions: GhostVol
<----- served 20 years regular Army and also worked as a recruiter. I, too, enlisted at 19, soon after dropping out of college.

Couple points. Jobs (MOS) are not assigned/chosen by an individual recruiter, but rather a counselor at the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS). Unfortunately, recruiters take blame or credit for success and/or failure after an applicant enlists. Everybody blames the recruiter. U.S. Army Recruiters (USAREC) are merely first-line representatives to the civilian population.

To have a shot at obtaining a "good" MOS, it is absolutely critical that your son scores high on the ASVAB exam. Higher score = more opportunities. Combat Arms MOS (infantry, armor, artillery, air defense, combat engineers) are always short on personnel. Military Intelligence and linguists (Arabic, Chinese, Russian) are other shortage areas. Depending on his ASVAB score, he might be eligible for an enlistment bonus, contingent on MOS.

If your son has earned college credits, have him obtain a sealed copy of his college transcripts prior to his appointment at MEPS. If he has at least 24 semester hours, he can enter as an E-2. 48 semester hours = E-3. This requirement has changed since I enlisted over 37 years ago. Credit hour requirements were much less for advanced enlistment rank back then. I enlisted as an E-2 with 24 semester hours when the minimum was 15.

Physical: MEPS employs medical doctors for the physical screening. If something is wrong, or he thinks something is wrong, tell the recruiter before going to MEPS. Lots of applicants shoot themselves in the foot talking about asthma they had at age 5 or some stupid allergy.

Above all, congratulations and good luck. I had a freaking blast in the Army, and also endured some really tough times. It's what you make it.

I worked for USAREC for several years...

First off, congrats to Army for beating Navy yesterday. Secondly, may God bless you and your family and may He keep watch over your son as he serves his country.

I was a career counselor in the Navy. MOS in the Army translates to NEC in the Navy so my suggestion to your son is simple.

Forget civilian equivalents. Find something he would love/enjoy doing in the Army. If he finds it, he will probably make a career out of military service. THEN find something he would love/enjoy doing after his service time and train/educate himself while serving.

Advice to a young man. Military or not. I was lucky as an imagery interpreter 96D. The test is key. I was told I could choose any MOS I wanted but did not know what I know now. If you can find a useful MOS that you love doing, you will never have to work a day in your life. That is all the advice I could give you or your son. The Army has hundreds of skill needs. Take your time to find it. Do not rush that part. God Bless

I don’t post much but read the paddock daily to laugh and see what silly shit you guys say. I’ve been hanging out here for 5+ years and this is the nicest shit I’ve ever read!! At the end of the day you guys are genuine and honest but rarely not sarcastic! Thanks for the kind words.
I believe the Army helped me be the confident successful man I am today and am really excited that my son can experience this.
Oh don’t get us wrong, we will still dump crap on you..but seriously thanks to you and your son

Army vet myself, and learned a hard lesson regarding choosing an MOS. I told my recruiter I wanted to get into "communications" meaning high-tech electronics because I had a good ASVAB score. I ended up becoming a "line-dog", running and troubleshooting wire for tactical telephones which were basically heavier versions of soup cans with string. Oh well, lesson learned.

My #3 grandson did the same thing. That was almost 3 years ago. He just re-upped for 4 more years. I worry about him all of the time. Congratulations to your son.

I don't know if the Army or other branches of service do this but the Air Force has something called CLRP, College Loan Repayment Program. Don't know all of the specifics but they will pay back up to a certain amount I believe. Wasn't brought up to me by a recruiter prior to enlisting and is not something you can go back and get once in the military. If your son paid off the debts entirely out his pocket he would not be eligible.

EDIT: Looks like the other branches have this as well. Make sure to bring this up to recruiter as it might not be initiated in any discussion based on the experience I had.

These links have some info about it.

https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.c...rams/military-college-loan-repayment-program/

https://www.thebalance.com/military-college-loan-repayment-program-clrp-3332700

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/student-loan-forgiveness-joining-the-military/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT