ADVERTISEMENT

Something I couldn’t help but notice re: Kings/Jazz

Montana81

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
looking at the box score I couldn’t help but notice the Kings lost despite their entire starting five having a +\- of +9 or better(fox and wcs team highs +19 and +17 respectively)

4 of the 5 starters for the jazz were negative as well.

So stands to reason the bench matchup was strongly in favor of the jazz.

Hmmm so who came off the bench for the Kings?

Skal was a dnp as was Gabriel.

Harry Giles -23 in 10 minutes
Marvin Bagley -14 in 12 minutes
Justin Jackson -19 in 31 minutes
Frank Mason -12 in 5 minutes
Iman Shumpert -29 in 18 minutes.

I’m still trying to figure out what it is that harry Giles was ever so good at that made him such a cant miss prospect.

But look at that bench and those +\- and where they played. I’m just sayin...:sunglasses:

Bench has to be able to hold their own in the NBA. Nobody plays 48 minutes.

Right. And the kings bench, consisting of 2 duke players, a unc player, a Kansas player and a Syracuse player got the Kings a big ol fat opening night L

Reactions: wcc31
Bench has to be able to hold their own in the NBA. Nobody plays 48 minutes.

I'm guessing his point was more of the UK guys were +19 and +17, yet DUKE guys were -23 and -14, UNC was -19 and Kansas was -12. Then just for kicks and giggles, he threw in Shumpert at -29. And all the guys minus Shumpert are on their first contract.

That’s a fair point too. The Kings are very young. While the jazz have a much more seasoned bench.

Harry Giles is and always was highly overrated. I get my head taken off on this board for that opinion but no one can tell me what he's ever done besides posting a mixtape. Dude averaged 2 points a game at Duke and was so bad last year, the Kings just sat him the entire season. Oh wait, the story is he was healing from an ACL tear in 2015.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Harry Giles is and always was highly overrated. I get my head taken off on this board for that opinion but no one can tell me what he's ever done besides posting a mixtape. Dude averaged 2 points a game at Duke and was so bad last year, the Kings just sat him the entire season. Oh wait, the story is he was healing from an ACL tear in 2015.
Same

Ya'll can hate on Giles all you want, but when he got hurt he was without a doubt the best player in high school and was dominating over the other top players. His multiple knee injuries have been awful he's not been a shadow of himself since. People know how much potential he "had", so anytime he's coming into a season healthy he's going to get some attention to see if he'll start to reach that potential.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Never like to defend a Dukie, but Giles has had serious knee issues in the past. He first tore his ACL as I believe a sophomore in high school (and I think that was his 2nd knee injury), then had a 2nd tear as a senior in high school. Then Coach K rushed him back, or at the very least, let him play when he shouldn't have been playing. Injuries have definitely restricted his career.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Little surprised Skal got a dnp unless he’s got an injury or something. I thought he came on pretty strong for the Kings last season?

Willie actually looked really good going up against the reigning dpoy last night. 23/7 and a +17 against gobert.

Reactions: Fox2monk
His knees were a problem in high school. They should have dampened his expectations but once he decided to go to Duke he stayed slotted at the number one spot. Anyone who knew anything knew that he shouldn’t have stayed #1 after those injuries.

looking at the box score I couldn’t help but notice the Kings lost despite their entire starting five having a +\- of +9 or better(fox and wcs team highs +19 and +17 respectively)

I’m still trying to figure out what it is that harry Giles was ever so good at that made him such a cant miss prospect.

But look at that bench and those +\- and where they played. I’m just sayin...:sunglasses:

Couldn't happen to a better bunch.. well minus Shumpert.

I think Giles just suffered too many injures to be THAT type of prospect. He has a great mid-range game, but he seems a step slower and not quite as athletic. Losing that little bit of edge could change your entire career.

The ridiculous hair doesn't help..

Ya'll can hate on Giles all you want, but when he got hurt he was without a doubt the best player in high school and was dominating over the other top players. His multiple knee injuries have been awful he's not been a shadow of himself since. People know how much potential he "had", so anytime he's coming into a season healthy he's going to get some attention to see if he'll start to reach that potential.
What year was he the best player in HS?

Knees or not Giles has no motor. Didn't play hard at dook. You can make up for lots of physical deficiencies with that.

I can't help but wonder. By Mike Krzyzewski forcing Giles into game action a full year+ be for his knee was healthy. If that didn't damage Giles' knee permanently?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT