ADVERTISEMENT

Some things I learned from 'CCR at Royal Albert Hall' on Netflix

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Good concert footage of CCR at their most popular, or close to it.

Always been a fan of their music but learned a few things while watching.
1. They did not put on a show. Basically stood in place and did their thing. No props. No light show. Just a tight, talented group of musicians playing damn good songs.
2. The concert footage is maybe an hour long but feels like the entire set. I guess some groups in 1970 still played abbreviated sets.
3. Their drummer, Doug Clifford, wasn't fancy but, damn, he's a powerhouse on a small set. Sort of like Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick. Plays the hell of out of the basic beat with some decent fills but man he hits those skins hard.
4. Tom Fogerty was, evidently, a statue. Plays basic chords and stands almost completely still for most of the concert.
5. Most interesting thing I learned: on many of the songs (especially the 'swampy' sounding ones), John plays his guitar tuned down a full step while Tom's is in standard tuning. Let's John's rhythm be lower and twangier and many of his leads can be open string leads which gives it that CCR sound. When playing CCR songs in various bands, I could never quite duplicate their sound. Now I know why. It's the full step down tuning of John's guitar that makes all the difference.

Lots of monumental shows in that building, including Zeppelins historic 5 night run in 1975, if only those wals could sing :)

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I've seen John Fogerty in concert 3 times. It's one of my favorite experiences every time. Between the iconic songs, great band, and John slinging that guitar, it's so awesome. I was just telling my wife a couple weeks back, that I want to see him one more time before it's too late.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Funniest thing our tour guide said in Albert Hall is the dress code for sitting in the Queen's box. Coat and tie for men, long dresses for the ladies. In the case of a rock show, the men may loosen their tie. I thought that was hilarious and so very British.

Green River could have been set in Western KY. It is amazing the way he could point scenes he had never been exposed to.

Reactions: gamecockcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT