ADVERTISEMENT

Some positivity from M Jones to start your Sunday

I don’t think center is a clear hole. I think it’s a question mark. We don’t know how Onyenso will play. We don’t know how much time Bradshaw will spend at the 5 and how he’ll perform there. We don’t know if Cyril makes it on campus next season. And we don’t know if another piece will still be added.
That’s probably a better way to put it. Ugo has potential but we don’t know what exactly that is yet. Adding another body would be beneficial for him though. But I do like the thought of the small ball lineup combos Kentucky could work with

Centers don’t matter that much if you play modern basketball which has always been Cal’s main issue. Farliegh Dickinson sent the national player of the year who was a center home starting a 3 guard lineup and 6’4 and 6’6 forwards.

It’s the offense, it has always been the offense.

Some of the recent problems with player evaluation/development can be pinned on choosing the wrong assistants.

That’s really the point of the original post. Welch looks like he may be the welcome addition that many of us have hoped.

If that dude is the reason we stop taking a bunch of long 2's, and we enter the top 100 in 3 attempts, that's a net win.

Centers don’t matter that much if you play modern basketball which has always been Cal’s main issue. Farliegh Dickinson sent the national player of the year who was a center home starting a 3 guard lineup and 6’4 and 6’6 forwards.

It’s the offense, it has always been the offense.

Yeap. In Cal's offense, he HAS to have an elite big to have success.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don’t think center is a clear hole. I think it’s a question mark. We don’t know how Onyenso will play. We don’t know how much time Bradshaw will spend at the 5 and how he’ll perform there. We don’t know if Cyril makes it on campus next season. And we don’t know if another piece will still be added.
this is correct . Mitchell , Bradshaw and Ugo all can play the center and Mitchell and Bradshaw both will be ALL SEC types so we are fine IF he gets healthy . I know he will play if he can. But there will be one more big added IMO.

Reactions: Aike
this is correct . Mitchell , Bradshaw and Ugo all can play the center and Mitchell and Bradshaw both will be ALL SEC types so we are fine IF he gets healthy . I know he will play if he can. But there will be one more big added IMO.
How is Mitchell all sec potential….he wasn’t all big 12 last year as a Jr? Not even honorable mention

We really need one more big.

Mitchell is more of a 4. Bradshaw is injured. Onyenso is unproven.

Got to have one more option at the 5.

Best case scenario a stud grad transfer ends up here in August. Dante maybe?

Cyril reclassing in August would be the next best thing.

Just got to get someone, IMHO.

If not, we will be okay as long as Bradshaw comes back healthy.

But that’s not ideal.

And if Bradshaw can’t go, it could get ugly.

How is Mitchell all sec potential….he wasn’t all big 12 last year as a Jr? Not even honorable mention
Transfer portal guys are automatically upgraded to stars for some reason. 11 point 6 rebound 1 assist on 42% shooting Arthur Kaluma was gonna be a game changer… because of the portal bump. It has special powers.

New assistant coach John Welch might be the most important piece that has been added to the UK basketball program in years. A guy that can actually coach.
Definitely need it because we have fallen off the map since Robic was let go.

Cal didn't land a stud big man. That's going to doom the season's expectations. People didn't want Hunter for silly reasons, including a pipe dream that Oscar would return .... I think that becomes this team's missing piece.
He has brought in a 5 man. Don't forget about cyril, of course he will be in 23 class.
The only clear hole is the center position they have players at every other position who are capable

I don’t like Matt Jones but I’ve been saying since day 1 of Edwards coming here that he might be the best player we’ve had in 6-7 years.

I personally think he can be the second best player we’ve had here behind Davis. Before anyone jumps me, that’s a personal opinion.

I also look for Dillingham to surprise people.

Reactions: gharding07
Calipari’s failure in regard to the transfer portal has been a failure to properly utilize it, not a reliance on it. Calipari expressed his disdain for the transfer portal from the beginning – supposedly because it hurt smaller programs – and instead stated he wanted to use the graduate transfer route. That’s mainly what he’s done in regard to transfers. But with NIL and the one-free-transfer rule many of the best CBB players are entering the portal. These are players who have a proven ability to generally impact winning NOW more than one-and-done 5-star freshmen.

Calipari has not utilized the transfer portal to UK’s advantage. There’s the failure. The prominence of UK’s basketball program should allow UK to “eat first” in the transfer portal. But UK hasn’t gotten (or even seriously tried to get?) the top portal players. The reason that hasn’t happened is quite simply because Calipari has neglected or been slow (at best) to take advantage of this new avenue for players.
No, it's because we have a load of 5-star frosh coming in and the potential transfers know that Cal plays his highly touted frosh. These portal players don't want to come to a school for their final year and play a maximum of 20 minutes per game, much less have to compete for those minutes.

The Bradshaw issue is typical UK fans carping about anything they can and always assuming the worst. If Bradshaw returns in August as planned, you'll never hear from them again. Always predict te worst, but then be happy if the opposite happens. Winning either way is how they love to play the game. It's bs.

Reactions: Graham51
No, it's because we have a load of 5-star frosh coming in and the potential transfers know that Cal plays his highly touted frosh. These portal players don't want to come to a school for their final year and play a maximum of 20 minutes per game, much less have to compete for those minutes.

The Bradshaw issue is typical UK fans carping about anything they can and always assuming the worst. If Bradshaw returns in August as planned, you'll never hear from them again. Always predict te worst, but then be happy if the opposite happens. Winning either way is how they love to play the game. It's bs.
Only at KY can you have two projected first round picks at center and not have enough lol.

The Bradshaw issue is typical UK fans carping about anything they can and always assuming the worst.
We don't really have to assume. The worst is what we have been dealing with for a number of years. It's inevitable that it will continue as long as Cal is the coach. He's an old man that's set in his ways.

Still relying on freshmen. Struggles to or refuses to fill his whole roster. Prefers athletes over shooters. Won't change his defense even if it costs us wins. Preaches player's first over the health of the program. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if I weren't looking at a roster mostly made up of 7 freshmen, 2 seldom used sophomores, and a couple of transfers that don't know what it's like to play under Cal. That's rarely a recipe for success.

So, you’re saying the best transfers assume that Calipari will play OAD 5-star freshmen over them even if they are currently more productive players? If it is true that Calipari will do that, then that’s just wrong on every level except one – which is if the primary goal is to benefit of the OAD player. I can’t believe that is really true. But if it’s only true that transfers believe that Calipari will give unfair playing preference to OAD freshmen, then he should make it clear to the transfers that that is not in fact the case. Calipari should promise every player that the guys who have the biggest impact on winning will start and play the most minutes.

So, you’re saying the best transfers assume that Calipari will play OAD 5-star freshmen over them even if they are currently more productive players? If it is true that Calipari will do that, then that’s just wrong on every level except one – which is if the primary goal is to benefit of the OAD player. I can’t believe that is really true. But if it’s only true that transfers believe that Calipari will give unfair playing preference to OAD freshmen, then he should make it clear to the transfers that that is not in fact the case. Calipari should promise every player that the guys who have the biggest impact on winning will start and play the most minutes.
He says this bullcrap every year and then it always defaults to his high rated kids. Last year the Bennie lineup was rated so high …yet we run Livingston out there at Sf

I don’t know why anyone get jacked up over cal pressers…he’s so full of shit

He says this bullcrap every year and then it always defaults to his high rated kids. Last year the Bennie lineup was rated so high …yet we run Livingston out there at Sf

Did Calipari say in that press conference that he is going to play the most productive players? I don't remember specifically, but if so Is that what you're referring to?

Did Calipari say in that press conference that he is going to play the most productive players? I don't remember specifically, but if so Is that what you're referring to?
He said we make no promises…kids have to take it..we are players first snd I ain’t changing

Same old bull crap…

Agree they have four solid guard Wagner reeves dillingham and Reed is a good group of guards, then Mitchell bradshaw are good 4s or 3s along with Edwards, and if what they are again about theiro is true then he is a solid backup and I think burks will develop into something this year. That leaves ugo, ugo can become a good play but I still think he is a year away from being a major contributor, that why they need another center of these grad transfers happen in august
I believe Ugo will be fine for us this year; the issue is that there's nobody to share the minutes with in case of foul trouble/fatigue

Agree they have four solid guard Wagner reeves dillingham and Reed is a good group of guards, then Mitchell bradshaw are good 4s or 3s along with Edwards, and if what they are again about theiro is true then he is a solid backup and I think burks will develop into something this year. That leaves ugo, ugo can become a good play but I still think he is a year away from being a major contributor, that why they need another center of these grad transfers happen in august
Yeah, but you know better than to believe every single one of these freshmen are going to live up to expectations.

How many years have we seen this now where a kid comes in highly ranked and struggles? We really can't count on all 5 of these freshmen to be what the hype tells us they are.

Honestly, beyond Edwards and Wagner, I don't see any of the other freshmen killing it at this level. Bradshaw's injury is really going to set him back and that's if he even plays.

Yeah, but you know better than to believe every single one of these freshmen are going to live up to expectations.

How many years have we seen this now where a kid comes in highly ranked and struggles? We really can't count on all 5 of these freshmen to be what the hype tells us they are.

Honestly, beyond Edwards and Wagner, I don't see any of the other freshmen killing it at this level. Bradshaw's injury is really going to set him back and that's if he even plays.
Tend to agree about Wagner and Edwards.

I will be very disappointed if they aren’t as good as advertised.

I could see Bradshaw not being as good as advertised. Dillingham as well.

But I could also see some of the lower rank guys surprising. Sheppard especially. Love his game and I think it will translate well to college.

But I really want another big. I would love a fifth year Senior 5 man like Dante. Dante is the last piece of the puzzle, IMHO.

Reeves, Mitchell, and Dante gives us enough proven firepower to compensate for some of the Freshmen not being ready.

Those three plus Wagner and Edwards would give us a killer starting five.

And if Bradshaw and/or Dillingham are lottery pick good, then even better.

Wagner and Edwards will be good. Dilly is wildcard but he is to talented to be bad for a whole season, I think shepard surprises

Reactions: AGEE11
Unless the next Anthony Davis is hiding somewhere on this roster we're going to see more of the same results this coming season. I get it...hope springs eternal with UK basketball. But, I've seen enough from Calipari to know he will lose big doing things his way rather than acquiesce to common sense.

We don't really have to assume. The worst is what we have been dealing with for a number of years. It's inevitable that it will continue as long as Cal is the coach. He's an old man that's set in his ways.

Still relying on freshmen. Struggles to or refuses to fill his whole roster. Prefers athletes over shooters. Won't change his defense even if it costs us wins. Preaches player's first over the health of the program. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if I weren't looking at a roster mostly made up of 7 freshmen, 2 seldom used sophomores, and a couple of transfers that don't know what it's like to play under Cal. That's rarely a recipe for success.
He isn't perfect, but right now there are no great options to replace him. When there are, I'll be happy to talk turkey. Also, I really don't see Cal leaving over 50 million dollars on the table, nor do I see anyone coming up with enough buyout money to entice him to leave. I'd rather have the best talent in the country coming to UK with Cal than return to the recruiting days of Tubby and BCG. So name anyone you would take as a replacement who would bring in the likes of the recruits we've had. Billy Donovan isn't walking through that door. So then who?

Hey hey that Livingston kid is a pro. We just didn't appreciate him enough.

Cal ain't "getting back" to anything. He's the same guy and same coach he's always been. Only better with experience.

These guys talking "getting back" are just throwing that out there to give cover for getting back on the bandwagon.

I can see it now, "I was right to complain before but Cal heard our cries and he's made changes". Bull frickin sh!t!!

Anyone that knows Cal and has been around Cal sees the same guy that was at UMass, Memphis and here the entire time. Especially since coming to UK and declaring from that day forward he is "players first". He has not changed anything about that approach from the day he set foot on UK's campus.

We've had a downturn the last 3 seasons because of covid first and failed recruiting and player evaluation. It wasn't just Cal that failed on that. Every other school wanted these players too. Everyone missed on them. We just ended up with them. Then the reliance on the transfer portal was an utter failure. Cal has ditched that too.

I haven't been around Cal since the Bahamas trip and a little bit in London. He seemed the same to me at both of those as he ever has over the 14 years year. I would guess there probably is a perk in his step now as he gets to coach real players again instead of a glorified JV team. Of his making so he doesn't get a pass for having that caliber of player on the floor.

What's different now is we have players. The Matt Jones of the world will use any excuse to justify their previous negativity. And the fans of the clown show will eat it up.
Why are people liking this load of BS? The mind boggles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT