ADVERTISEMENT

Some perspective on Payne/Flint

JoeBolognas

Junior
Feb 10, 2020
Kenny Payne became a staple of Kentucky basketball over the last ~decade. Whenever a program loses a personality as big as him that’s shared in so much of our success, it’s going to sting. And, I’m not blown away by the Flint hire.

BUT, I think the negative reaction to the latter has been way overblown, for a couple different reasons. You don’t have to buy all (or any) of them. These are just some things that I think a lot of people who have set their hair on fire today haven’t considered:

1.) There is value in bringing in someone you know you can work with and who understands your system, style, etc.

A lot of people are pissed off at the notion that Cal hired another one of his “buddies”, a la Barbee. I understand why that would be disappointing on the surface, but I think it ignores the fact that there is a benefit to bringing in someone who is already extremely familiar with how a coach operates, what they emphasize, how they wants to run things, how they wants to pitch to recruits, etc.

There’s a reason why head coaches - including ones at top programs - often hire assistants that they already have a prior history with, even when the assistants aren’t necessarily splashy hires or household names. Whatever you think of Flint as a coach, he’s going to adjust to Cal’s system and philosophy about as seamlessly as any new hire possibly could. There’s value in that.

2.) a terrible head coach can be a great assistant coach.

Jeff Capel was considered one of the top recruiters in the nation while at Duke. In fact, a lot of people here attributed the fact that Duke had caught up, if not surpassed, UK in recruiting almost exclusively to Capel.

But that was after he absolutely fell flat on his face as a HC at Oklahoma. He landed a handful of heralded recruits (mostly instate), yes. But ultimately, he only lasted five seasons and was fired after, quote, “two of the worst back-to-back losing seasons in Oklahoma basketball history.”

This isn’t to say that Flint will be Capel, or anywhere near it. But, it is to say that there have been plenty of guys who were excellent assistant coaches but didn’t make it as head coaches, for whatever reason. So, if you’re writing Flint off based on the belief that he was a terrible HC, consider that you may be judging him prematurely.

3.) there’s no precise formula for what makes a great assistant coach.

A lot of posters have pointed to a multitude of different (and often contradictory) traits that they would have preferred to see in Payne’s replacement, including:
  • A young coach who relates to recruits
  • A coach with significant college playing experience
  • A coach with significant NBA playing experience
  • A coach with prior college or NBA coaching experience
  • A “household name”, a la Jalen Rose, etc.
While these characteristics have some immediate surface level appeal, the reality is that there’s no mathematical formula for building an excellent assistant coach. Antigua - the guy a lot of posters here preferred - had a pretty middling college career and never played in the NBA. And before Cal hired him at Memphis, he only had a couple years’ worth of experience as a college assistant coach. He was only about 5 years removed from coaching a high school team.

Similarly, when UK fans learned Josh Pastner wasn’t coming to UK with Cal, a lot of people thought it was a tremendous loss for the program, as Pastner was seen as Cals ace recruiter. But Pastner essentially rode the bench in college and had no pro career to speak of. Cal hired him at Memphis when he was barely 30 years old.

The point is this: there isn’t an exact career path or trajectory that leads someone to be an excellent (or a terrible) assistant coach. A lot of the coaches that people here think highly of, wouldn’t have met the standards they wanted in Payne’s replacement when those coaches were first hired. So, while some traits might be desirable, totally writing off Flint now or thinking we’re doomed with him on the bench because he doesn’t check a particular box is illogical and ignores past history.

4.) Programs make coaches.

There’s been some revisionist history with Payne here over the last few days. Some people have acted like he was already this unbelievable recruiter setting the world on fire before he ever got to UK. While Payne had made a name for himself at Oregon, you’re absolutely fooling yourself if you think he had already had anywhere close to the reputation he now has before he ever stepped foot in Lexington. The (vast) majority of Payne’s clout as a coach comes from his time at UK...not from the handful of four stars he helped land at Oregon. As much as Payne helped UK, UK easily helped Payne just as much.

And that’s the story for tons and tons of coaches. Being at an elite program goes a long way towards getting elite results. By contrast, being at a crappy program goes a long way towards getting crappy results. That doesn’t mean individual coaches can’t excel or disappoint in their own right, but the program they work for has a loooooot to do with how successful they appear to be. Someone like Bruiser Flint might not appear like a great option at his prior stops, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t be very successful in a different environment - ie, UK.

Like I said, I’m not blown away by the Flint hire. Personally, my first call would have been to Antigua. But some people are ready to jump off a cliff over Flint, and it really just does not make much sense to think it was some catastrophically awful hire or that the program is headed for ruin now.

There is obviously some sort of situation with Antigua making him a non option from UK's perspective.

I am of the belief if Cal is that close with Bruiser it is a good hire. They partnered well at UMass and obviously Cal trusts him.

It is crazy to think how young Bruiser was when he replaced Cal at UMass....30 or 31...nuts.

Last edited:
There is obviously some sort of situation with Antigua making him a non option from UK's perspective.

I am of the belief if Cal is that close with Bruiser it is a good hire. They partnered well at UMass and obviously Cal trusts him.

It is crazy to think how young Bruiser was when he replaced Cal at UMass....30 or 31...nuts.
It was the allegations. Doubt UK would let him hire OA back.

Reactions: ukfan041
Kenny Payne became a staple of Kentucky basketball over the last ~decade. Whenever a program loses a personality as big as him that’s shared in so much of our success, it’s going to sting. And, I’m not blown away by the Flint hire.

BUT, I think the negative reaction to the latter has been way overblown, for a couple different reasons. You don’t have to buy all (or any) of them. These are just some things that I think a lot of people who have set their hair on fire today haven’t considered:

1.) There is value in bringing in someone you know you can work with and who understands your system, style, etc.

A lot of people are pissed off at the notion that Cal hired another one of his “buddies”, a la Barbee. I understand why that would be disappointing on the surface, but I think it ignores the fact that there is a benefit to bringing in someone who is already extremely familiar with how a coach operates, what they emphasize, how they wants to run things, how they wants to pitch to recruits, etc.

There’s a reason why head coaches - including ones at top programs - often hire assistants that they already have a prior history with, even when the assistants aren’t necessarily splashy hires or household names. Whatever you think of Flint as a coach, he’s going to adjust to Cal’s system and philosophy about as seamlessly as any new hire possibly could. There’s value in that.

Jeff Capel was considered one of the top recruiters in the nation while at Duke. In fact, a lot of people here attributed the fact that Duke had caught up, if not surpassed, UK in recruiting almost exclusively to Capel.

But that was after he absolutely fell flat on his face as a HC at Oklahoma. He landed a handful of heralded recruits (mostly instate), yes. But ultimately, he only lasted five seasons and was fired after, quote, “two of the worst back-to-back losing seasons in Oklahoma basketball history.”

This isn’t to say that Flint will be Capel, or anywhere near it. But, it is to say that there have been plenty of guys who were excellent assistant coaches but didn’t make it as head coaches, for whatever reason. So, if you’re writing Flint off based on the belief that he was a terrible HC, consider that you may be judging him prematurely.

A lot of posters have pointed to a multitude of different (and often contradictory) traits that they would have preferred to see in Payne’s replacement, including:
While these characteristics have some immediate surface level appeal, the reality is that there’s no mathematical formula for building an excellent assistant coach. Antigua - the guy a lot of posters here preferred - had a pretty middling college career and never played in the NBA. And before Cal hired him at Memphis, he only had a couple years’ worth of experience as a college assistant coach. He was only about 5 years removed from coaching a high school team.

Similarly, when UK fans learned Josh Pastner wasn’t coming to UK with Cal, a lot of people thought it was a tremendous loss for the program, as Pastner was seen as Cals ace recruiter. But Pastner essentially rode the bench in college and had no pro career to speak of. Cal hired him at Memphis when he was barely 30 years old.

The point is this: there isn’t an exact career path or trajectory that leads someone to be an excellent (or a terrible) assistant coach. A lot of the coaches that people here think highly of, wouldn’t have met the standards they wanted in Payne’s replacement when those coaches were first hired. So, while some traits might be desirable, totally writing off Flint now or thinking we’re doomed with him on the bench because he doesn’t check a particular box is illogical and ignores past history.

There’s been some revisionist history with Payne here over the last few days. Some people have acted like he was already this unbelievable recruiter setting the world on fire before he ever got to UK. While Payne had made a name for himself at Oregon, you’re absolutely fooling yourself if you think he had already had anywhere close to the reputation he now has before he ever stepped foot in Lexington. The (vast) majority of Payne’s clout as a coach comes from his time at UK...not from the handful of four stars he helped land at Oregon. As much as Payne helped UK, UK easily helped Payne just as much.

And that’s the story for tons and tons of coaches. Being at an elite program goes a long way towards getting elite results. By contrast, being at a crappy program goes a long way towards getting crappy results. That doesn’t mean individual coaches can’t excel or disappoint in their own right, but the program they work for has a loooooot to do with how successful they appear to be. Someone like Bruiser Flint might not appear like a great option at his prior stops, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t be very successful in a different environment - ie, UK

Like I said, I’m not blown away by the Flint hire. Personally, my first call would have been to Antigua. But some people are ready to jump off a cliff over Flint, and it really just does not make much sense to think it was some catastrophically awful hire or that the program is headed for ruin now.

“A terrible head coach can be a great assistant coach”?? What’s your factual basis for contending Flint was a “terrible” head coach? Flint won more games than he lost, winning 54% of his games. He spent his last 15 years as a head coach at Drexel University, hardly at basketball power. Nevertheless, he was 4 time Coach of the Year in the Colonial Athletic Conference (2002, 2004, 2009 and 2012). In 2012, he led Drexel to its first and only CAA regular season championship. Granted, he was let go from Drexel in 2016 but he is still the winningest basketball coach in Drexel basketball history. I wouldn’t say he’s “terrible.” On the contrary, if you read the Athletic’s detailed story on Flint, you will discover he is a highly regarded coach among his coaching peers. Likewise, his former players and assistants speak glowingly of his ability to relate to people and his genuine interest in caring about the best interests of others.

Antigua, did a good job at UK but he left to become head coach at South Florida where he was a terrible head coach winning only 29% of his games before being fired. Also, during his tenure, his brother who was an assistant coach, committed NCAA recruiting violations which resulted in sanctions being imposed. Orlando said he knew nothing of his brother’s recruiting violations. So be it. All in all, based on what I’ve read, Bruiser Flint will be an excellent replacement for Kenny Payne.

Last edited:
“A terrible head coach can be a great assistant coach”?? What’s your factual basis for contending Flint was a “terrible” head coach? Flint won more games than he lost, winning 54% of his games. He spent his last 15 years as a head coach at Drexel University, hardly at basketball power. Nevertheless, he was 4 time Coach of the Year in the Colonial Athletic Conference (2002, 2004, 2009 and 2012). In 2012, he led Drexel to its first and only CAA regular season championship. Granted, he was let go from Drexel in 2016 but he is still the winningest basketball coach in Drexel basketball history. I wouldn’t say he’s “terrible.” On the contrary, if you read the Athletic’s detailed story on Flint, you will discover he is a highly regarded coach among his coaching peers. Likewise, his former players and assistants speak glowingly of his ability to relate to people and his genuine interest in caring about the best interests of others.

Antigua, did a good job at UK but he left to become head coach at South Florida where he was a terrible head coach winning only 29% of his games before being fired. Also, during his tenure, his brother who was an assistant coach, committed NCAA recruiting violations which resulted in sanctions being imposed. Orlando said he knew nothing of his brother’s recruiting violations. So be it. All in all, based on what I’ve read, Bruiser Flint will be an excellent replacement for Kenny Payne.

Good points, but technically I don’t think the OP directly said that.

“But, it is to say that there have been plenty of guys who were excellent assistant coaches but didn’t make it as head coaches, for whatever reason. So, if you’re writing Flint off based on the belief that he was a terrible HC, consider that you may be judging him prematurely.”

And that’s the story for tons and tons of coaches. Being at an elite program goes a long way towards getting elite results. By contrast, being at a crappy program goes a long way towards getting crappy results. That doesn’t mean individual coaches can’t excel or disappoint in their own right, but the program they work for has a loooooot to do with how successful they appear to be. Someone like Bruiser Flint might not appear like a great option at his prior stops, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t be very successful in a different environment - ie, UK.

Good post. People are jumping off the cliff on Flint and with no good reason. Flint has been an assistant before and was good enough at it that he got promoted to a head coaching job. Now maybe he wasn't good at that but it doesn't mean that he can't do what a assistant coach does.

Good points, but technically I don’t think the OP directly said that.

“But, it is to say that there have been plenty of guys who were excellent assistant coaches but didn’t make it as head coaches, for whatever reason. So, if you’re writing Flint off based on the belief that he was a terrible HC, consider that you may be judging him prematurely.”
2.) a terrible head coach can be a great assistant

This is the head note number 2 as set out by the OP for the points he is making about Bruiser Flint becoming Cal’s new assistant coach, “2.) a terrible head coach can be a great assistant coach.”

Last edited:
Kenny Payne has been a major asset to Cal and UK but he is not irreplaceable. The elite players come to UK primarily because of Cal not his assistants. Cal demonstrated he was a great coach at UMASS and Memphis before he came to UK and without Kenny Payne. There is no reason to believe he will stop being equally as successful now that KP has left.

I’m not excited by the hire but I’m not going to let it bother me. It’s August. The season is (presumably) right around the corner.

Makes sense to plug in a known quantity, especially when you are talking about rolling out a championship contender. Might not want an unfamiliar coach learning the ropes simultaneously with coaching the team to its peak.

Let’s just try to get through this season in one piece, and hopefully get things somewhat back to normal by Spring.

This is head note number 2 as set out by the OP for the points he is making about Bruiser Flint becoming Cal’s new assistant coach, “2.) a terrible head coach can be a great assistant coach.”

If you read the full post it’s pretty clear what I’m saying: even if you believe Flynn is a terrible HC, that’s not a great reason to write him off as an assistant coach.

I'm chalking up the anti-Flint echo chamber to mounting frustration from the NCAAT being cancelled, the extended quarantine/covid nightmare, football being cancelled at the last minute, and the likelihood that basketball will be cancelled as well with one of our most stacked teams in a long time. We've got some posters that absolutely love to preen about how terrible Cal's decision making is, and when one trusted poster said it was bad a choice, it caught on like wild fire.

Of course when you lose arguably the top assistant in the game, the follow up hire is going to a be step back in terms of overall quality. I do happen to trust the judgment of our coach, whose average record is something like 30-7 every year. I do think Justus is the one handling the bulk of early scouting and recruiting. Payne was always the guy that helped seal the deal, and then became very close with the players once on campus. Cal is the closer when it comes to recruiting.

Speaking of which, recruiting is changing. This might be the last class where we bring in two top 5 guys, because kids are going to start going straight to the pros again. We've already seen the grad transfer evolution, and with the looming one time transfer bonanza next spring, next year's team might look like a transfer all star squad with a few 5 star freshmen to bolster their arrival, not to mention guys like Fletcher and maybe Ware coming back. The fact that Flint wasn't a smashing success at Indiana doesn't tell me much. Indiana only had success under Tom Creen with a pay for play AAU pipeline. Once that was shut down, he floundered and left.

Reactions: JoeBolognas
Next time I hire someone I will be sure and find the worst hire I can find. I can see I’ve been way off in my thinking. I’d always hired the best there was. That thinking it appears was way convoluted!

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
I’m not excited by the hire but I’m not going to let it bother me. It’s August. The season is (presumably) right around the corner.

Makes sense to plug in a known quantity, especially when you are talking about rolling out a championship contender. Might not want an unfamiliar coach learning the ropes simultaneously with coaching the team to its peak.

Let’s just try to get through this season in one piece, and hopefully get things somewhat back to normal by Spring.

This was my same thought.

Familiar faces.

Reactions: Aike

Only thing I would disagree with is , we all know why dukes recruiting picked up so dramatically . Nike . Now maybe Capel brokered the deals but we couldn’t get away with that .

People can spin it however they want. Losing kp was devastating. His big man development was incredible.

Given the timing I get the bruiser hire. It's late in the game and probably not many options especially with the covid cloud. But this just can't be the replacement.

After this season we can't have both bruiser and Barbee on this staff and expect to maintain where we are. Because it just won't happen.

People can spin it however they want. Losing kp was devastating. His big man development was incredible.

Given the timing I get the bruiser hire. It's late in the game and probably not many options especially with the covid cloud. But this just can't be the replacement.

After this season we can't have both bruiser and Barbee on this staff and expect to maintain where we are. Because it just won't happen.

why? You’re not giving any reasons to support that opinion. Just stating it doesn’t make it so

Remember that any coach that hasn’t won at least two nattys sucks rocks. The CLOD has beat this into our head for years now. Since no coach meets that criteria that would take the assistant job, every single available candidate sucks per the CLOD.

I don’t see what the fuss is about.

"...if you read the Athletic’s detailed story on Flint, you will discover he is a highly regarded coach among his coaching peers."

Exactly -- and among sports TV personalities and among AAU team coaches and among sports fans who have followed his career. James Bruiser Flint will be an important addition to the Cal's program. Cal knows everybody and Flint knows everybody else.

Finally, even former Dukies masquerading as basketball insiders get lazy by anointing somebody like Flint as a 'defensive coach.' When you coach a team in Philly at a school that is not part of the Big Five, recruiting is hard as hell. However, you can get guys who you can develop and those guys tend to be athletic more often than skilled. They can be taught to play defense at a high level. Flint developed his guys while some of the Big Five schools get the players more fully formed.

Cal as much as proclaimed out loud that Flint wouldn't have been fired if his star guard hadn't been plucked out of Drexel by Louisville as a transfer a few years ago. Remember the guy who torched UK for 27 a few years ago at Rupp?

A tidbit for the few posting remarkably ignorant and scurrilous screeds against Flint: the Big Five consists of Villanova, St. Josephs, LaSalle, Penn and Temple. There, now you know a little bit about the history of your sport.

Reactions: WGtripod69
why? You’re not giving any reasons to support that opinion. Just stating it doesn’t make it so

Did you see the uniform social media reaction by players when kp to Knicks was announced? Nothing but incredible admiration. Some even said he's the reason they came. That's also insight into how recruits see him.

Look at the extraordinary long list of big men he developed at UK. Look at how every year we knew our big men would grow by leaps and bounds.

Now compare that to bruiser. Is it even a comparison? Just for starters who's working with our bigs this year? Or the foreseeable future?

Did you see the uniform social media reaction by players when kp to Knicks was announced? Nothing but incredible admiration. Some even said he's the reason they came. That's also insight into how recruits see him.

Look at the extraordinary long list of big men he developed at UK. Look at how every year we knew our big men would grow by leaps and bounds.

Now compare that to bruiser. Is it even a comparison? Just for starters who's working with our bigs this year? Or the foreseeable future?

you’re comparing Kenny Payne AT KENTUCKY versus Bruiser AT DREXEL. Do you honestly think that’s a fair comparison?

you’re comparing Kenny Payne AT KENTUCKY versus Bruiser AT DREXEL. Do you honestly think that’s a fair comparison?

Let's compare bruiser at IU. Who did he develop there?

I'm not blaming bruiser for accepting the job. I'm not even criticizing cal for the hire given the lateness. But he just can't be the long term replacement. He or Barbee need to be upgraded after this season

It was completely inexcusable they didn’t get Antigua. I was mad as hell 3 years ago when Cal hired Barbee over Orlando and I’m infuriated now. Antiqua was even sitting behind our bench during the game at Florida that year. Can’t tell me he didn’t want to return. That’s two dead weight hires over one of the best recruiters and assistants in the country. Hell maybe when Justus leaves Cal can hire Brad to take that spot as well. We’d have the best staff in the country.

Look at the staff at the beginning of Cal’s time here. Antigua, Payne, Robic, Strickland. Every single time we’ve lost an assistant we’ve replaced them with someone worse. That staff above id rank above any in the country. The one now? Lol.

Whether some want to believe it or not, Cal has followed Tubby’s path at UK step by step. Both highly successful early and win early titles. Slowly start slipping on the court and in recruiting and both just hired their best friends club to be on their staff. Cal hasn’t quite bottomed out like Tubby, YET, but it won’t surprise me when it happens.

Comparing his early staff to the one he has now it almost makes me wonder if he’s trying to leave UK in as bad a shape as he found it.

Remember that any coach that hasn’t won at least two nattys sucks rocks. The CLOD has beat this into our head for years now. Since no coach meets that criteria that would take the assistant job, every single available candidate sucks per the CLOD.

I don’t see what the fuss is about.

Your true genius is fetishizing your ideological opponents.

Question? What role will flint have at UK(other than development)? Is he coming as a recruiter? I ask because he really didn’t deliver as that east coast guy. Now granted it’s going to be easier to recruit at UK. I can understand your general uncertainty.

Do you really think Cal didn't have a lot to do with the big man development? While it's not ideal losing KP it would only be devastating if he went to another college program and took players away from us IMO. He'll be in the NY area and you can be sure anything he can do to help our program within the rules he'll be doing. Cal probably taught KP 95% of what he knew about coaching bigs while he was at UK. Cal will be working with the bigs like he always has I'm sure.

Reactions: DosGatos
Do you really think Cal didn't have a lot to do with the big man development

I have no personal knowledge. Just that for years all the players gave kp the credit. I'd say that's plenty proof.

I do absolutely agree it's better this than him getting another college job.

Long term this could really work out well for UK. But shorter term, beyond this year we can't have this staff and expect the results of the past

I have no personal knowledge. Just that for years all the players gave kp the credit. I'd say that's plenty proof.

I do absolutely agree it's better this than him getting another college job.

Long term this could really work out well for UK. But shorter term, beyond this year we can't have this staff and expect the results of the past
again...why? Barbee and Justus were the primary recruiters that put this class together. They’re the ones laying the groundwork for future classes. I still haven’t heard a good reason as to why this staff is just so incompetent that we have to change our expectations going forward. Seems like a complete overreaction

Do you really think Cal didn't have a lot to do with the big man development? While it's not ideal losing KP it would only be devastating if he went to another college program and took players away from us IMO. He'll be in the NY area and you can be sure anything he can do to help our program within the rules he'll be doing. Cal probably taught KP 95% of what he knew about coaching bigs while he was at UK. Cal will be working with the bigs like he always has I'm sure.

That's not how things work at all. Elite assistant coaches bring so much more to the program than you think. They do what they are told in terms of assignments given to them by Cal, but their expertise and most importantly personalities are individual traits. Payne could speak to the players on a level Cal couldn't because Payne was an elite player, who made it to the NBA from the perspective that nobody else on the staff had. He also was a guy who was willing to work with them and listen to them when they were homesick, frustrated, etc...or just wanted to put in work. Saying the program will be fine without him is one thing, but to diminish his impact is wrong.

Payne was the good cop, to Cal's hard ass, and he was the guy who had Cal's respect that if certain things needed to be said to Cal, players and other coaches often went to him/through him.

Recruiting wise, the thing about having elite staff is when you have 2 to 3 coaches who are relentless, connected, can close guys, and all the Head Coach has to do is show up on in-home and things are done....you get the level of success UK had from 2011-2015. The results speak for itself. UK rarely missed on top targets, and the staff was connected in how they viewed players but also could develop. Eye for talent/fit in the program. That's changed a bit and we've seen program still succeed, but not quite get to the level when staff was filled with the killers that I and some other fans would prefer. Doesn't mean you can't be successful but it's seemed like UK has been 1 to 2 players short ('17/'19) or just made bad choices ('16 and '18 specifically the Slice debacle, Quade Green) and this past year we'll never know how it would've ended up but my take was they weren't quite good enough to get to a Final Four/and didn't see SEC as strong as it will be this year or has been in recent years. Maybe I'd have been wrong but all we've got is opinions because unfortunately we'll never know.

again...why? Barbee and Justus were the primary recruiters that put this class together. They’re the ones laying the groundwork for future classes. I still haven’t heard a good reason as to why this staff is just so incompetent that we have to change our expectations going forward. Seems like a complete overreaction

You heard plenty of good reasons you just don't like them. We will see. I'd love to be wrong.

That's not how things work at all. Elite assistant coaches bring so much more to the program than you think. They do what they are told in terms of assignments given to them by Cal, but their expertise and most importantly personalities are individual traits. Payne could speak to the players on a level Cal couldn't because Payne was an elite player, who made it to the NBA from the perspective that nobody else on the staff had. He also was a guy who was willing to work with them and listen to them when they were homesick, frustrated, etc...or just wanted to put in work. Saying the program will be fine without him is one thing, but to diminish his impact is wrong.

Payne was the good cop, to Cal's hard ass, and he was the guy who had Cal's respect that if certain things needed to be said to Cal, players and other coaches often went to him/through him.

Recruiting wise, the thing about having elite staff is when you have 2 to 3 coaches who are relentless, connected, can close guys, and all the Head Coach has to do is show up on in-home and things are done....you get the level of success UK had from 2011-2015. The results speak for itself. UK rarely missed on top targets, and the staff was connected in how they viewed players but also could develop. Eye for talent/fit in the program. That's changed a bit and we've seen program still succeed, but not quite get to the level when staff was filled with the killers that I and some other fans would prefer. Doesn't mean you can't be successful but it's seemed like UK has been 1 to 2 players short ('17/'19) or just made bad choices ('16 and '18 specifically the Slice debacle, Quade Green) and this past year we'll never know how it would've ended up but my take was they weren't quite good enough to get to a Final Four/and didn't see SEC as strong as it will be this year or has been in recent years. Maybe I'd have been wrong but all we've got is opinions because unfortunately we'll never know.
Looks like Cal needs to hire you. You seem to portray yourself as the know it all on this board.

Clarke, Jackson, Ware, Fletcher were all Payne connected. One of the reasons Sarr chose UK was Payne's work with bigs and recommendation from Danny Manning to him about Cal/KP. So that's 5 players of the 9 newcomers.

Askew/Boston/Mintz were Justus with Boston being best recruit Justus has landed at UK and a huge get for him personally. Mintz is a nice get as well and perfect for this upcoming team. Askew was one Justus snagged from Villanova/Louisville who were leading until UK got involved.

Barbee gets credit for Clarke, he did call him/stay in touch, so fine to say that. I'd say other reasons, but that's just what I was told and again, was told Terrence Clarke would be a Wildcat last Spring and shared that privately with numerous UK fans who private messaged me.

Will be interesting to see if Jaden Hardy/UK fade, that was a Payne connection and he was put on him after taking Justus off him. Heard Barbee/Justus both are on Hunter Sallis, so we'll see who takes lead there.

Barbee was lead on Banchero--Cal/Payne were visiting him a lot last year, but Barbee has been contact guy.

As for others, have to see what direction they go--Payne was the guy calling Bryce Hopkins up until he left so assume it'll be handed off to someone.

Looks like Cal needs to hire you. You seem to portray yourself as the know it all on this board.

Never said that, just sharing how things work/operate and not firing any shots at anyone.

Can't help it I know some things and offer up insight. If you know anyone/anything, feel free to share your take on how a staff is made up? Do you coach at any level? Ever been with player on in-home visit? Ever coached elite players who get recruited and interacted with college coaches? Do you know anyone who works in the industry and talks with all of the people involved? You have the forum to share.....please do. It's not special, but it's not hard to make friends/meet people and interact when you do. But to claim it's being a know it all to share insight...well isn't that purpose of this forum?

Clarke, Jackson, Ware, Fletcher were all Payne connected. One of the reasons Sarr chose UK was Payne's work with bigs and recommendation from Danny Manning to him about Cal/KP. So that's 5 players of the 9 newcomers.

Askew/Boston/Mintz were Justus with Boston being best recruit Justus has landed at UK and a huge get for him personally. Mintz is a nice get as well and perfect for this upcoming team. Askew was one Justus snagged from Villanova/Louisville who were leading until UK got involved.

Barbee gets credit for Clarke, he did call him/stay in touch, so fine to say that. I'd say other reasons, but that's just what I was told and again, was told Terrence Clarke would be a Wildcat last Spring and shared that privately with numerous UK fans who private messaged me.

Will be interesting to see if Jaden Hardy/UK fade, that was a Payne connection and he was put on him after taking Justus off him. Heard Barbee/Justus both are on Hunter Sallis, so we'll see who takes lead there.

Barbee was lead on Banchero--Cal/Payne were visiting him a lot last year, but Barbee has been contact guy.

As for others, have to see what direction they go--Payne was the guy calling Bryce Hopkins up until he left so assume it'll be handed off to someone.

From what I’ve heard, you’re overplaying Clarke’s connection with Payne and underplaying Barbees. If you had to pick one guy who was THE recruiter for Clarke, it was Barbee.

Giving Payne the credit for 5/9 guys...not accurate.

Reactions: DosGatos
From what I’ve heard, you’re overplaying Clarke’s connection with Payne and underplaying Barbees. If you had to pick one guy who was THE recruiter for Clarke, it was Barbee.

Giving Payne the credit for 5/9 guys...not accurate.

I'll stick with what I know and have been told. If you want to discuss this privately happy to do so, but not sharing this one on public forum. My friend told me this last Spring. He's not been wrong on anything related to Terrence Clarke's recruitment at any point including when several feared he was gone to the G-League.

I'll stick with what I know and have been told. If you want to discuss this privately happy to do so, but not sharing this one on public forum. My friend told me this last Spring. He's not been wrong on anything related to Terrence Clarke's recruitment at any point including when several feared he was gone to the G-League.

I don’t doubt your friend and I appreciate your opinion. Your friend telling you that Clarke was coming to UK and would reclass last spring doesn’t really weigh on who was his primary recruiter. And I really don’t think giving Payne the credit for 5/9 guys paints an accurate picture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT