ADVERTISEMENT

So what happened to the extra $7 million/year UK was offering Hurley to come here?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
It was stated that when UK was courting Hurley for those two or three days, they made him an offer of $12.5 million year. At minimum, UK was prepared to fulfill giving Cal around $9 million next year. In both cases, that's dramatically more money than Pope's $5.5 million.

So here's my question: where's the extra money ($3.5 million more in Cal's case and $7 million more in Pope's case)?

Is any of that extra money going into NIL? Evidently, boosters and the university were willing to give Hurley $7 million more than they gave Pope. My hope is that the money has been reallocated into the basketball NIL fund, especially since the football program is about to enter a nuclear winter.

It still saddens me that we have an AD who doesn't think innovatively when it comes to NIL. I just don't trust him to think beyond the box. I really wish Mitch would step down.

I don’t really understand where your post is coming from? We just signed 2 top 25 recruits and reportedly paid over 1 million for one of them (who happens to be in state and we still paid 7 figures). We signed TWELVE players 3 months before that. We are also still heavily recruiting (currently one is on campus) top HS players and will need portal players next year (who are just as, if not more, expensive than HS players). I guess I just don’t see any indication that we are penny pinching or not paying NIL? Was there some news you heard?

I don’t really understand where your post is coming from? We just signed 2 top 25 recruits and reportedly paid over 1 million for one of them (who happens to be in state and we still paid 7 figures). We signed TWELVE players 3 months before that. We are also still heavily recruiting (currently one is on campus) top HS players and will need portal players next year (who are just as, if not more, expensive than HS players). I guess I just don’t see any indication that we are penny pinching or not paying NIL? Was there some news you heard?
I've heard our NIL budget was around $3.5-4.5 million annually. Not bad, but also not the best, especially when the program was willing to spend $7 million more/year on a head coach (with none of that money going to NIL, mind you).

We know that around $1 million has come from Club Blue. Another $3 million came from initial pledges from boosters.

So where's the rest of the money we were willing to spend on Hurley? The $4.5 million from boosters/Club Blue is not and was not a part of UK's $12.5 million dollar pledge to Hurley.

Where's the extra $7 million and is any of it being channeled into NIL?

If not, it should be.

I feel like our basketball program has done an excellent job using NIL to load up the roster under Pope. Barnhart is still a chode about it but I don't think he is holding Pope back.

I've heard our NIL budget was around $3.5-4.5 million annually. Not bad, but also not the best, especially when the program was willing to spend $7 million more/year on a head coach (with none of that money going to NIL, mind you).

We know that around $1 million has come from Club Blue. Another $3 million came from initial pledges from boosters.

So where's the rest of the money we were willing to spend on Hurley? The $4.5 million from boosters/Club Blue is not and was not a part of UK's $12.5 million dollar pledge to Hurley.

Where's the extra $7 million and is any of it being channeled into NIL?

If not, it should be.
I get the impression that we are not chasing players who want to be overpaid relative to market value. We probably could throw more money into this fund, but what would it buy us other than some selfish players chasing a paycheck? Haven't we already had that?

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I get the impression that we are not chasing players who want to be overpaid relative to market value. We probably could throw more money into this fund, but what would it buy us other than some selfish players chasing a paycheck? Haven't we already had that?
To add to this, I don’t think Mitch is gonna go against the grain, hire Pope like he did then suffocate his recruiting efforts. Mitch absolutely has a vested interest in seeing Pope achieve great things and not stink it up.

Reactions: Zissou87
They're all chasing a paycheck.

Means we pay off Memorial Coliseum renovations and new track facility in 12 years instead of 15. Ticket prices and concessions don't go up too much next season.

Means we pay off Memorial Coliseum renovations and new track facility in 12 years instead of 15. Ticket prices and concessions don't go up too much next season.
I promise you at least 70% of UK fans would rather have someone like AJ Dybantsa every season than any of that stuff you mentioned.

It was stated that when UK was courting Hurley for those two or three days, they made him an offer of $12.5 million year. At minimum, UK was prepared to fulfill giving Cal around $9 million next year. In both cases, that's dramatically more money than Pope's $5.5 million.

So here's my question: where's the extra money ($3.5 million more in Cal's case and $7 million more in Pope's case)?

Is any of that extra money going into NIL? Evidently, boosters and the university were willing to give Hurley $7 million more than they gave Pope. My hope is that the money has been reallocated into the basketball NIL fund, especially since the football program is about to enter a nuclear winter.

It still saddens me that we have an AD who doesn't think innovatively when it comes to NIL. I just don't trust him to think beyond the box. I really wish Mitch would step down.
You come off as greedy AF. If the boosters were willing to give 7 million to ensure the program excels then great but if it isn’t needed they should absolutely be able to keep their own money. (Again you sound like a greedy politician). So far it appears Pope’s recruiting is top notch and the boosters were able to save 7 million, so this thread seems to reflect your unappreciative they are willing if they need to.

Personally, I think they should keep their money if the program is excelling, perhaps there is another sport that might require their services soon to help the University out.

Reactions: ukcatz12
I promise you at least 70% of UK fans would rather have someone like AJ Dybantsa every season than any of that stuff you mentioned.
Boosters don't donate money for the sole purpose of making UK basketball fans happy. They donate to help the athletic department as a whole, or to their own pet projects, or in ways they think is more useful. The world of booster money doesn't revolve around UK basketball, there's more to the athletic department and University.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT