ADVERTISEMENT

So these BUYOUTS

Big BlueBeard

Sophomore
Dec 23, 2018
We keep hearing of all these buyouts other coaches have. Why are they in play? I mean what am I missing here? Aren't they just like Cal's, if they leave for another job the buyout doesn't apply, correct?

Other coaches will use it as leverage. Few coaches are going to leave on their own to void owed money. Make the school pay for it if they want you bad enough.

The no buyouts are Mitch Bernhardt’s brain child. Don’t get me started.

I’m pretty sure UK would have to pay the buy out for those coaches. Our ad just didn’t feel the need to give Cal that kind of buy out; which hey, worked out in the end.

We keep hearing of all these buyouts other coaches have. Why are they in play? I mean what am I missing here? Aren't they just like Cal's, if they leave for another job the buyout doesn't apply, correct?
No..these buyouts are ones that the coach owes the university if they leave. Nate Oats has to pay $18 million to get out of his current contract at Alabama. Presumably, his new employer would pay that for him as part of the agreement. So, in this case, UK would pay Alabama $18 million to hire him.

So did Arky pay Cal's $33 mil?
It's a different buyout. That buyout is if Cal was fired without cause. UK would pay him $33 million. If Cal leaves on his own, UK owed him nothing and he owes UK nothing as there was no buyout in his contract similar to what Oats has.

It's a different buyout. That buyout is if Cal was fired without cause. UK would pay him $33 million. If Cal leaves on his own, UK owed him nothing and he owes UK nothing as there was no buyout in his contract similar to what Oats has.
It’s my understanding Oats has a $10m buyout. Am I misinformed?

It’s my understanding Oats has a $10m buyout. Am I misinformed?
From an article:

If Oats were to leave Alabama in the first two years of his contract, he would owe the school $18 million. After March 31, 2026, the buyout falls to $10 million for one year until March 31, 2027. The buyout is $4 million for the following season and $0 afterward.

Reactions: Basil Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT