ADVERTISEMENT

So.....the bye week...

Got to keep the juice during the bye. We have 3 winnable games in a row coming out of it. This team has a different feel and it all starts with our elite defense. I hate to get ahead here, but 6-2 would look good going into Tennessee.

Good point, we NEVER look good out of a bye; however, I think this year might be different. We catch Vandy coming off of a game against Alabama. We'll have a week to get our players back down to earth after the big win. Go cats

Bye weeks are a mystery for Stoops...so it's hard to pinpoint as a fan what is the problem. But for me:

1. Let's integrate Chip if he can add a power element to the run game
2. Get Max healthy
3. I'd like to have a long look at Kattus vs. Willie at TE....I get Kattus may be the best blocker....but he's not some unreal blocker to me. He whiffs a fair amount of the time (I thought Justin Rigg was a ton better as a blocker in his years). But Kattus is such a drop off athletically....him falling down on an easy pass that he didn't catch, etc.... I'd hope to see an evaluation of Rodriguez as he for sure is an athlete, he's a big strong kid and can add more of a weapon potentially.
4. Get Max healthy
5. I do see the safeties as weakness on D....it may be a "is what it is". But Story looked lost as all get out on final Ole Miss drive and gave up that huge play. Lovett....he's had tons of games and still doesn't make plays in deep safety. Ty Bryant feels like our best open field tackler. Zion is better in nickel...near LOS. So maybe this year is not upgradeable....but I'd love to see Cam Dooley get more look if he's able to be coached up to be ready.
6. Get Max healthy.

We need Max to get back...his presence on the outside is pronounced...and he's just as elite as our DLine IMO. So he gives us that Deion Sanders effect on the outside that compliments our D front so well.

Reactions: ellowelzees
Here are the games after the bye week during Stoops bowl run:

2023 - 33-27 L to #21 UT
2022 - 44-6 L @ #3 UT
2021 - 31-17 L @ Miss St (they finished tied for 3rd in the west)
2020 - 38-35 W vs Vandy
2019 - 24-20 W vs Arkansas
2019 - 17-13 L vs UT (they finished 8-5/5-3)
2018 - 14-7 W vs Vandy
2017 - 45-7 L @ Miss St (finished ranked 20th in the country)
2016 - 40-38 W vs Miss St

All of our losses have been against teams that finished the season at least .500 in the SEC. All of our wins have been against teams that finished under .500 in the SEC. I'm feeling good about Vandy.

Yeah, we get vandy and murray after byes this season. See 2 and 0 there.

UK has to win the next 3 games. That gets you to the bowl and then it's let's see what we can do at UT and at Texas. Murry and UL should be wins.

8 and 4 wouldn't be bad after SC.

Reactions: catben
Here are the games after the bye week during Stoops bowl run:

2023 - 33-27 L to #21 UT
2022 - 44-6 L @ #3 UT
2021 - 31-17 L @ Miss St (they finished tied for 3rd in the west)
2020 - 38-35 W vs Vandy
2019 - 24-20 W vs Arkansas
2019 - 17-13 L vs UT (they finished 8-5/5-3)
2018 - 14-7 W vs Vandy
2017 - 45-7 L @ Miss St (finished ranked 20th in the country)
2016 - 40-38 W vs Miss St

All of our losses have been against teams that finished the season at least .500 in the SEC. All of our wins have been against teams that finished under .500 in the SEC. I'm feeling good about Vandy.
But even the wins were squeakers. Coach Stoops teams just do not play well coming out of a bye. Vandy has a decent team and a QB that’s a gamer. It would be disastrous if our team doesn’t come out ready to play after this bye week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT