ADVERTISEMENT

So, How long??

Mar 7, 2022
So, How Long do you all give Mark Pope to get to a Final Four?

Yes, he has a good staff and has struck gold in the portal, but realistically...this is a "rebuild". We will have a lot of talent and a veteran team for the most part. But, that don't mean instant results.

Just give him some grace...please

I expect UK to be in the elite 8 with a chance at the final four by year 3.

With the ridiculous amount of NIL and the ability to buy a contender via the portal each off season I feel that's realistic.

Some on here will expect it next year though. No patience with some of fanbase.

Reactions: Zissou87
If it takes him one second longer than it takes me to get from Winchester Road -> New Circle, then across North Broadway to Russell Cave in the morning, then faaaaar Pope

Reactions: BigKari
It's going to depend a lot on what those non-Final Four seasons look like. If we are consistently going to Elite 8s and Sweet 16s every year, I think people will be patient expecting the Final Fours (and championships) will come because we are consistently knocking on the door.

If we have a lot of first and second round exits, then Pope shouldn't get too comfortable because he won't get long.

Next year will be mostly rebuild as well. So many 5th year guys on the team and the portal makes every player a potential one and done. The NBA was always a threat, but now the NBA and the portal can take your guys. Retaining guys like Garrison each year will be huge.

Reactions: trueblujr2
If he can get this team into the second weekend of the Tournament next year I'll be pleased and it will show progress to a lot of people. I can see a Final 4 by year two or three once players and prospects get a taste of his system and realize Kentucky Basketball is fun again.

Next year will be mostly rebuild as well. So many 5th year guys on the team and the portal makes every player a potential one and done. The NBA was always a threat, but now the NBA and the portal can take your guys. Retaining guys like Garrison each year will be huge.
I hope we can land 3-4 solid top notch recruits for the system and compliment that with 3-4 big time portal guys next year too. I don't want to have to rely on bringing in 8 portal guys again. we will need to fight to keep Garrison and Oweh, but we should eventually establish ourselves as a final destination for Portal guys and not have to worry about them shopping around each year. Ideally we can get to a point where we are returning at least 2-3 starters every year.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
If San Diego State and Florida Atlantic can make in the last couple of years, Kentucky surely can. The drive to win championships will be there with a fresh approach and coach who knows what it takes.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I just hope the NIL Money keeps flowing so we can buy our talent.

But not all talent, can be bought. Who would have thought a player from Oakland college that worked for Uber Eats could hit 10 3's and win an NCAA Tournament game...

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
I hope we can land 3-4 solid top notch recruits for the system and compliment that with 3-4 big time portal guys next year too. I don't want to have to rely on bringing in 8 portal guys again. we will need to fight to keep Garrison and Oweh, but we should eventually establish ourselves as a final destination for Portal guys and not have to worry about them shopping around each year. Ideally we can get to a point where we are returning at least 2-3 starters every year.

Yeah this year its similar to trying to establish a first year program. Will take a bit to get the right mix so it gets easier to just roll into the next year.

Year one will set the standard for years moving forward. I know what's expected here, but it's hard for me to make my own judgement call when I haven't seen the product on the court. Realistically, I think year three is when we'll see the potential of what Mark Pope can accomplish however.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'm just happy to have a coach who is committed to placing the success of the program first. The rest will take care of itself for me.

This is no more of a rebuild than we faced every year with Cal. Probably less. It's a year we don't know what to expect. I'm excited. I don't think it's a rebuild. He's built a team. We havent saw that in a long time. I think we aren't realizing what experience can do. We've never had any. We got men not boys. I for one can't wait. Yes I have hi expections because I like this team. Go like the coach. I wouldn't trade him for any

were used to losing the first game so if he makes the sweet 16 it will be a huge impovement over the previous losers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT