ADVERTISEMENT

SI looks at Kentucky backcourt -- and likes what it sees

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Pretty straight-forward account but seeing it all laid out it is hard not to be excited.

Deep and talented. It'll come down to whether the three freshmen can perform like freshman guards during Cal's run, including Brandon Knight, Shai GIlgeous-Alexander, Eric Bledsoe, the Harrison twins, Tyler Ulis, Tyrese Maxey, and so on. (I left out Wall, Murray and Fox intentionally because it is hard to count on NBA all-star caliber play. If it happens, great.)

Last edited:
Just hope it’s not a repeat of 2016, where we had the guard play, but nothing inside. Right now we have a lot of question marks inside. Mitchell is a proven commodity, but the other three guys are unproven. And Mitchell is really a perimeter player, he isn’t going to score much in the low post. Cal has to change his offensive philosophy this year to be successful.

Just hope it’s not a repeat of 2016, where we had the guard play, but nothing inside. Right now we have a lot of question marks inside. Mitchell is a proven commodity, but the other three guys are unproven. And Mitchell is really a perimeter player, he isn’t going to score much in the low post. Cal has to change his offensive philosophy this year to be successful.
I liked the exhibition look, if we play that style we can be successful.

Mitchell alone gives us more inside than we had in 2016. We didn’t have a wing like Edwards then either.

But yeah, we have huge question marks at the other front court position.

Also, I love DJ Wagner’s demeanor and attitude but he has a tendency to force things.

You would have to be blind as a bat not to see the talent this team has.

We have more guards than taylor swift.

Reactions: celtikat33
On paper this team has everything it needs to be a title contender and has me excited. I am still in wait and see mode despite our strong showing over the summer as I have allowed a strong summer performance to give me unwarranted hype before.

How will our freshman adapt to division 1 play? How long will our bigs be sidelined with injury? Will they come back from injury in competitive form and live up to their potential or will they play hampered/scared much like I thought CJ played?

I’m cautiously excited and optimistic to find out the answers to these questions.

Pretty straight-forward account but seeing it all laid out it is hard not to be excited.

Deep and talented. It'll come down to whether the three freshmen can perform like freshman guards during Cal's run, including Brandon Knight, Shai GIlgeous-Alexander, Eric Bledsoe, the Harrison twins, Tyler Ulis, Tyrese Maxey, and so on. (I left out Wall, Murray and Fox intentionally because it is hard to count on NBA all-star caliber play. If it happens, great.)

SGA for sure and definitely possibly with Maxey being all stars as well. Lol

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Ah yes, another summer where Cal fans rave about the team Cal put together.

Fast forward to December and it's "well, the players were overrated, Cal's hands are tied, this is not his fault"

Fast forward another year and "wow, look at all those UK players tearing it up in the NBA, I didn't think they were all that good when they were here, Cal really did wonders with those guys"

Fast forward to December and it's "well, the players were overrated, Cal's hands are tied, this is not his fault"

Fast forward another year and "wow, look at all those UK players tearing it up in the NBA, I didn't think they were all that good when they were here, Cal really did wonders with those guys"

Definitely time to actually see some results after last 3 seasons. That means winning some OOC big games and winning SEC and making at least a final four run n NCAA.

Anything less than those and idc. Failure.

Definitely time to actually see some results after last 3 seasons. That means winning some OOC big games and winning SEC and making at least a final four run n NCAA.

Anything less than those and idc. Failure.
100% agree. I know I've been hateful towards Cal, but the things I have said are true and there is nobody in this fanbase that wants Cal to turn this around more than me. I want him to make me eat my words.

100% agree. I know I've been hateful towards Cal, but the things I have said are true and there is nobody in this fanbase that wants Cal to turn this around more than me. I want him to make me eat my words.

Same here. I hope he pulls a self and wins his 2nd title way after the first. No one thought self would ever win a 2nd and it took him 14 years but he did it. Cheating or not it counts. We don't want to go 12 to 14 years between titles but I'd take it at this point.

What team are you a fan of?

Mitchell alone gives us more inside than we had in 2016. We didn’t have a wing like Edwards then either.

But yeah, we have huge question marks at the other front court position.

Also, I love DJ Wagner’s demeanor and attitude but he has a tendency to force things.
This.

That 2016 backcourt has embarrassingly poor support from the rest of the lineup, by UK's standards or anywhere else, really.

Reactions: ganner918

It's funny, the end of the season was once the best time of year for Kentucky fans. Now it's the beginning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT