ADVERTISEMENT

Historically speaking, is Kentucky now Point Guard U?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I know at one time in the 90s, it was Georgia Tech, with Kenny Anderson, Travis Best, Stephon Marbury, etc.

Georgetown was "big man U" for a long time, with Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Harrington, etc.

Does Kentucky now have the best collection of point guards in NCAA history?

Ralph Beard
Louie Dampier
Kyle Macy
Wayne Turner
Rajon Rondo
John Wall
Eric Bledsoe
Brandon Knight
Marquis Teague
Andrew Harrison
Tyler Ulis
Jamal Murray
Isaiah Briscoe
De'Aaron Fox
Shai Gilgeous Alexander
Tyrese Maxey
Immanuel Quickley
Robert Dillingham
Reed Sheppard
D.J. Wagner

And to think, we finished second for Trae Young and Cade Cunningham. We could have completely cornered the market in terms of elite NBA point guards (Haliburton notwithstanding).

Is there any other program in the nation that offers that much talent at a particular position.

Id put Sean Woods in that group as well and Ed Davender, Roger Harden, Dicky Beal….

So to answer your question: Hell yes we are PGU and its not close!

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul and awf
Only because Cal played him as a forward.

Brisco is like the most maligned guy… did what was asked of him even though it didn’t benefit him personally. Very skilled and tough player, and a TEAM player. I’d take him on our roster every year.
Annoys the shit out of me and always has. His freshman year in the SEC tournament, he was killing teams by tightroping the baseline and getting easy baskets for our bigs (who could only score if it was an easy basket). He stepped on the baseline 3 times in a loss to UCLA his sophomore year and he’s been buried for it on this forum ever since.

Like you said, he was doing what he was good at and what the coaches told him to do. 2 of the times he stepped out it was because he was pushed, one was egregious when he was bumped out by Bryce Alford and the ref ignored it, the other was a judgment call, but didn’t go our way. One of the three times, yeah he stepped on the line while driving. It’s been like 7 years and he still gets killed for it every single time he’s mentioned on here. It’s insane.

Idk but I wish we’d go back to being the university of Kentucky and not the university of Calipari.
One way to help, would be to comment on the subject rather than throw out Cal's name in the literal 1st reply to the post.

YOU don't want the focus to be on Cal and then immediately YOU make this thread about Cal.....genius level stuff

I know at one time in the 90s, it was Georgia Tech, with Kenny Anderson, Travis Best, Stephon Marbury, etc.

Georgetown was "big man U" for a long time, with Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Harrington, etc.

Ralph Beard
Louie Dampier
Kyle Macy
Wayne Turner
Rajon Rondo
John Wall
Eric Bledsoe
Brandon Knight
Marquis Teague
Andrew Harrison
Tyler Ulis
Jamal Murray
Isaiah Briscoe
De'Aaron Fox
Shai Gilgeous Alexander
Tyrese Maxey
Immanuel Quickley
Robert Dillingham
Reed Sheppard
D.J. Wagner

And to think, we finished second for Trae Young and Cade Cunningham. We could have completely cornered the market in terms of elite NBA point guards (Haliburton notwithstanding).

Is there any other program in the nation that offers that much talent at a particular position.
Well idk if we are or not, but you can't leave Anthony Epps, Travis Ford or Roger Harden off this list if you're gonna talk about UK PGs.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Idk but I wish we’d go back to being the university of Kentucky and not the university of Calipari.
Then you'll be really upset to learn they aren't replacing the new court because of dead spots. They're replacing it so they can change the logo at mid court from UK to UC

Only because Cal played him as a forward.

Brisco is like the most maligned guy… did what was asked of him even though it didn’t benefit him personally. Very skilled and tough player, and a TEAM player. I’d take him on our roster every year.
He was tough nosed. But he was just not a scorer. Dude just didn't have a shot; there's a reason his nickname became "Brickscoe" I can't remember how many times he drive and miss a bunny, or pull up from 5-7 feet and just miss the shot.

I'd take him for his defense for sure.

I think Arizona was the original point guard U and we’ve far surpassed them. We have way more than they’ve ever had and far better.

Maxey, Fox and SGA are arguably 3 of the top 5 or 6 point guards in the league right now. SGA is fresh off a first team All NBA selection. Jamal Murray just won a ring as the 2nd best player on his team. Immanuel Quickley is about to get paid by someone as well after this season though Knicks are trying their damnedest to hurt his value.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think Arizona was the original point guard U and we’ve far surpassed them. We have way more than they’ve ever had and far better.

Maxey, Fox and SGA are arguably 3 of the top 5 or 6 point guards in the league right now. SGA is fresh off a first team All NBA selection. Jamal Murray just won a ring as the 2nd best player on his team. Immanuel Quickley is about to get paid by someone as well after this season though Knicks are trying their damnedest to hurt his value.
And 1 Title just shows how bad the coaching has been

Ralph Beard
Louie Dampier
Kyle Macy
Wayne Turner
Rajon Rondo
John Wall
Eric Bledsoe
Brandon Knight
Marquis Teague
Andrew Harrison
Tyler Ulis
Jamal Murray
Isaiah Briscoe
De'Aaron Fox
Shai Gilgeous Alexander
Tyrese Maxey
Immanuel Quickley
Robert Dillingham
Reed Sheppard
D.J. Wagner

Nope, we could be big Man U as well.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT