ADVERTISEMENT

SI Lays Off Entire Staff...

Sports-Illustrated-640x480-1-640x480.jpg
I love me some curves
jim carrey GIF

Proof that you gotta know your audience. Putting fat girls and trannies in the swimsuit issue was never going to work.
My wife said the same thing.

I disagreed.

She asked why?

I said when the hell was the last time you even heard or saw a reference to SI? 20 years for me.

Last ditch effort to save a dying whale..

Hope the folks find jobs..

However, every time they did that crap, it would get posted in Yahoo news.

Was worth it just for the comic section.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
IMG-0528.jpg
I have these all displayed in my office. The leatherbound collector’s issues are some of my favorite Kentucky basketball collector’s items, they’re still like new.

IMG-0526.jpg

I was a longtime subscriber of SI magazine up until about 2007 until I finally shut them down, internet and digital took over for me. But I have to say, there’s nothing digital that can replace this kind of stuff. I still have 4 of the more iconic Tiger Woods SI cover magazines, including his first after winning a major. They’re major collector’s pieces for me. I know they’re obsolete now, but my nostalgia makes this tough to swallow. SI was a big part of my sports life since I was a teen.
How do you post a picture?

Thanks

Boy, I hope Pat Forde lands on his feet in time to trash Kentucky in March.

But, really, a sad day. Man, when I was a kid Sports Illustrated arriving in the mail made it a special day. I read it cover to cover for years. And the peak Swim Suit issues of the late 1970s through the early 1990s...Great stuff.

That what happens when you start doing stupid crap. Media is dying out like that and they started pushing agendas to help the downfall.

I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, regardless of their professions. That being said, I wonder what my collection of 50 SI Mags with Michael Jordan on the cover will be worth? How about every cover with Larry Bird, Reds, 'Cats, Alcindor/Jabbar, most of Tiger's, IU, Magic Johnson, Shaq or how about every Baseball preview issue going back to 1956. Each issue with Mantle on the cover. I have the first 3 SI's that have the baseball cards still in tact. A lot of SI's from the '50's, 60"s, 70's with Hall of Fame baseball players on the covers. The first cover for Brady, Manning and LeBron..just asking..

I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, regardless of their professions. That being said, I wonder what my collection of 50 SI Mags with Michael Jordan on the cover will be worth? How about every cover with Larry Bird, Reds, 'Cats, Alcindor/Jabbar, most of Tiger's, IU, Magic Johnson, Shaq or how about every Baseball preview issue going back to 1956. Each issue with Mantle on the cover. I have the first 3 SI's that have the baseball cards still in tact. A lot of SI's from the '50's, 60"s, 70's with Hall of Fame baseball players on the covers. The first cover for Brady, Manning and LeBron..just asking..
I would guess they'd bring in some money at some point. I know that's a generic answer but you never know with sports memorabilia.

I’ll have to admit, I haven’t read SI in years. not because they offended me like some of you pansies on here, but because I don’t really follow sports outside ofUK much anymore. I don’t really get the glee folks have seeing good journalism disappear, and SI delivered on that back in the day. I read a lot, and it’s really hard to find well researched and written articles anymore, mainly because there’s not much of an appetite for it.

….. And the peak Swim Suit issues of the late 1970s through the early 1990s...Great stuff.

As a kid going through puberty when the Swim Suit Edition was published, that issue was a well worn magazine and it sure came in handy.😎

Reactions: TM2013 and Smashcat
Thank goodness. Karma. UNC grad Curry Kirkpatrick wrote that cover story and never spoke up when UNCheat was exposed.

viewsi052989.jpeg

Thank goodness. Karma. UNC grad Curry Kirkpatrick wrote that cover story and never spoke up when UNCheat was exposed.

viewsi052989.jpeg
I have a friend who is friends with Pitino. When Pitino first got to Loserville I had him take this issue to have Pitino sign it. He signed it”Welcome to planet red
Rick Pitino”. What a waste

• Haha
Reactions: Smashcat
Not in this case. Kentucky's Shame North Carolina's Silence.
People who need to pay their mortgage, support their family, and put food on the table during a sh*t economy might be struggling to do that. Bigger than a 1987 issue of SI that I would bet most of their writers weren’t a part of — I’m not sure how you can’t figure that out.

I understand fandom is important and saving face is probably equally as important to you when shown reality of situation, so it is fine. Just acknowledge that it sucks that some might be struggling to find a job in an industry that is seeing a bad time right now. Jesus.

Seeing staples of my childhood erode into oblivion makes me wonder what parts of our daily lives now are on borrowed time. I imagine AI will wipe several things off the board eventually. My big fear is that eventually music and television/movies will no longer be made and performed by actual flesh and bone humans.

I am holding out hope for sex robots tho

SkynetSeeing staples of my childhood erode into oblivion makes me wonder what parts of our daily lives now are on borrowed time. I imagine AI will wipe several things off the board eventually. My big fear is that eventually music and television/movies will no longer be made and performed by actual flesh and bone humans.

I am holding out hope for sex robots tho
Life and technology will always change together, we just honestly have to change with it. The world will live through AI and AI will go away someday.

But if Skynet is born from it,then we are screwed.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Thumbs Up GIF by Karla Delakidd

Reactions: Rockfly78
Where will I go for glossy covers of obese women and chicks with wicks bursting outta their trunks?

People who need to pay their mortgage, support their family, and put food on the table during a sh*t economy might be struggling to do that. Bigger than a 1987 issue of SI that I would bet most of their writers weren’t a part of — I’m not sure how you can’t figure that out.

I understand fandom is important and saving face is probably equally as important to you when shown reality of situation, so it is fine. Just acknowledge that it sucks that some might be struggling to find a job in an industry that is seeing a bad time right now. Jesus.

I have a feeling the true writers of those AI generated articles will be fine!! LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT