ADVERTISEMENT

Should Red River Gorge be a US National Park?

*CatinIL*

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
Area 52
Just a random question. I say yes. And, would it help or hurt KY if it became a USNP?
iu

Reactions: blubo
Biggest difference for regular visitors would be this…say goodbye to off-trail excursions. National Parks are very strict on conservation of both land & animals & require visitors to stay on the designed/designated trails. As a state park, RRG currently allows/encourages visitors to go off- trail.

So it just depends on how you look at it. Some may say that’s just what RRG needs because all of the off-trail excursions are ruining the land (erosion), upsetting the natural habitat of the wildlife, etc…Habitual visitors will say that being able to go off-trail is a big part of what makes RRG special & keeps them coming back.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Biggest difference for regular visitors would be this…say goodbye to off-trail excursions. National Parks are very strict on conservation of both land & animals & require visitors to stay on the designed/designated trails. As a state park, RRG currently allows/encourages visitors to go off- trail.

So it just depends on how you look at it. Some may say that’s just what RRG needs because all of the off-trail excursions are ruining the land (erosion), upsetting the natural habitat of the wildlife, etc…Habitual visitors will say that being able to go off-trail is a big part of what makes RRG special & keeps them coming back.

I thought RRG was a US Forest Service Park. Does the state have authority?

Good point!

I thought RRG was a US Forest Service Park. Does the state have authority?
RRG is designated as a National Geological Area and it is located within the Daniel Boone National Forrest. But technically it isn’t a National Park.

The terminology makes a difference. If it becomes a national park then there will stricter limits on off-trail activities and on all activities within whatever area is designated as National Park. Right now you can hike off-trail in all of the DBNF including the Red River Gorge area.

Natural Bridge State Park is right next to the RRG geological area and is surrounded by DBNF. But it is just that…a state park. So it has different funding and different rules. But you can also hike off trail there because it is a state park & not national.

Not sure what exact area the OP was referring to but currently none of that area is designated as a National Park.

Reactions: KAB Cats
RRG is designated as a National Geological Area and it is located within the Daniel Boone National Forrest. But technically it isn’t a National Park.

The terminology makes a difference. If it becomes a national park then there will stricter limits on off-trail activities and on all activities within whatever area is designated as National Park. Right now you can hike off-trail in all of the DBNF including the Red River Gorge area.

Natural Bridge State Park is right next to the RRG geological area and is surrounded by DBNF. But it is just that…a state park. So it has different funding and different rules. But you can also hike off trail there because it is a state park & not national.

Not sure what exact area the OP was referring to but currently none of that area is designated as a National Park.

Right. Have always wondered what the USFS role actually is...

The hidden trails of RRG are definitely part of the alure for hikers. Also, they are death traps if you aren't careful.

Reactions: gollumcat
If you go up to the Gorge much, you know (and probably love) Miguel's. The New Haven-style pizza parlor. The last time we were there we heard that there is an unnamed individual buying up plots of land with an eye to turn it into a private amusement park.

I've never been clear on who owns the land in Boone National Forest. Some of the land is held "fee simple" by private interests while the government holds the rights to the forests. I don't know what kind of private development was being imagined by the gossip at Miguel's. There's "glamping" up there now. Maybe that's what's being imagined. Lots of tidy, well-maintained cabins. When we were at Glacier NP, the west side of the park had several campgrounds of small cabins.

Reactions: CashM03
I remember canoeing the gorge one year and my friend and I were accosted by some of the “locals”. I swear one was a cyclops

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT