ADVERTISEMENT

Should all Georgia players have licenses revoked immediately

From the linked article:

“These latest charges bring to 22 the number of incidents involving Georgia football players or staff members who have been charged for driving-related offenses since a high-speed, alcohol-related accident took the lives of two members of the football program Jan. 15, 2023.”

That’s 22 legal incidents since the fatalities, in only 18 months? And you’d have to assume only a small percentage of incidents actually get charged.

I guess NIL money combined with V8’s and ages 18-24 do not mix well. They didn’t when I had a 5.0, thirty years ago.

One unique potential solution: build or rent an actual track for drag racing within 20 miles of Athens, and have designated dates and times for racing, with emergency personnel, etc., etc., and let ‘em get it out of their system in a legal/controlled fashion. Kind of like the two guys constantly fighting in school. Back in the day, my high school had several sets of 16 ounce gloves. Occasionally they took guys to the gym and let them flail away until they couldn’t breath anymore. It tended to make friends of enemies.

Reactions: Blouman
When you get the best athletes, you also get a borderline hoodlum or two. That is a chance you take, no team or coach is immune to it, some of the best coaches and teams have had to deal with that stuff, I guess that's part of it when you get the best athletes. It's hard for teenagers to walk the straight and narrow all the time.

Reactions: Blouman
Animated GIF

There is no excuse for it and I sure can't defend what they are doing, but I don't have an answer either, suspend their liscense will only add driving with suspended liscense to their charges. This what kinda upsets me about the whole thing, the cop told one he wouldn't be charged if he told him who the other one was. So if he was racing and driving reckless enough to be stopped and charged, ratting his buddy out shouldn't have made it ok. One ran off the road, wasn't racing, wasn't drinking just can't drive. But here is the reality of NIL, it's putting young inexperienced drivers in fast cars they have no business driving.

They were released with a 26$ bond, one of was a sr starter, one was a true frosh who may redshirt, the one who had the wreck is a RS OT who was battling for playing time.

Here is my feelings on this, all these kids have been warned about consequences of their choices, there is no excuse for it to happen. But we are talking 18-23 year old alpha males who's testosterone levels are uber high by nature. But I am an old street racer and had more than my share of run ins with the authorities, even cuffed and took to jail. Paid my fine, after I paid enough of them, i quit. So that would be my option, take some of that NIL money away from them, enough to where they would have to hope they could make their insurance and car payment.

But I am an old street racer and had more than my share of run ins with the authorities, even cuffed and took to jail. Paid my fine, after I paid enough of them, i quit.

My 5.0 came to me at age 27 . . . I
cannot claim innocence on the whole issue, but I carried big insurance and never got caught.

Cool Story: During the height of Covid, local dragsters (some in their 70’s) got together with local Kentucky State Police, shut down a local highway at 1:00 am,
and had a few races.

My 5.0 came to me at age 27 . . . I
cannot claim innocence on the whole issue, but I carried big insurance and never got caught.

Cool Story: During the height of Covid, local dragsters (some in their 70’s) got together with local Kentucky State Police, shut down a local highway at 1:00 am,
and had a few races.

That was pretty cool of them. Back in my youth, when I-75 was being built a 4 mile straight was finished but not opened yet. The sheriff of county at start of straight had either 65 Hemi plymouths or 389 with 3 duces for carbs and late nights Friday and Saturdays would meet up with local youths and do 1 mile runs, quarter mile drags for hours. You found out you didn't want to run from that bunch, they were cheating. The dang sheriff was taking all his cars to a local speed/machine shop and making them hotter than they should have been. Good times, I guess all those deputies are gone now, sheriff has been gone a long time, i am an old man and all the rest of the guys are too. But High test was 30 cents a gallon and who cared if you car got 6 mpg.

I may not should even say this, but even as an old man now, I drive a Ford Raptor and the sound of those twin turbos spooling up still gives me a rush.

I drive a Ford Raptor and the sound of those twin turbos spooling up still gives me a rush.

When I came home to my native county on weekends in my 20’s, where my Mom had taught school, my Dad had been a State Trooper, and where I eventually would be County Attorney, I just couldn’t bring myself to burp the tires in my home town.

The cops would have loved giving me an “unsafe start” ticket.

But, I would cruise into my hometown on a straight stretch over a mile long at like 50 mph in 5th gear. 200 feet before passing the pool hall I’d drop it down to second and release the clutch fast . . . and the rumbling sound through those cherry bombs would echo off those old Victorian walls on Main Street.

When Jesus comes home, he couldn’t find better musical accompaniment than a five liter rumbling, rumbling, rumbling down the RPM!!

When I came home to my native county on weekends in my 20’s, where my Mom had taught school, my Dad had been a State Trooper, and where I eventually would be County Attorney, I just couldn’t bring myself to burp the tires in my home town.

The cops would have loved giving me an “unsafe start” ticket.

But, I would cruise into my hometown on a straight stretch over a mile long at like 50 mph in 5th gear. 200 feet before passing the pool hall I’d drop it down to second and release the clutch fast . . . and the rumbling sound through those cherry bombs would echo off those old Victorian walls on Main Street.

When Jesus comes home, he couldn’t find better musical accompaniment than a five liter rumbling, rumbling, rumbling down the RPM!!

Even the new mustangs, I am assuming 5 liter, sound pretty sweet. Lots of them around here and like you say they just rumble, not many kids driving them mostly guys in mid to late 20's, early 30s. My Raptor is a twin turbo V6 that sounds more like an Indy car at high RPS. When you come south on I-75, that long straight starts at mile marker 341, and on the right there is a sign that says Grumpy's antiques. Just know that 50 years or so ago there was lots of good times had on that stretch of road. Someone on here asked me if I had anything to do with that antique place, but no. Another sign there is the Bigfoot Museum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT