ADVERTISEMENT

Shots fired!

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
Did anyone see the comments by the Redhawks coach about Bama indicating they illegally contacted their kicker?

Anyone doubt it's true?

Did anyone see the comments by the Redhawks coach about Bama indicating they illegally contacted their kicker?

Anyone doubt it's true?
Do you think if Bama would have contacted the Redhawks coach about coaching at Bama he would be complaining, I doubt he would be complaining. Coaches have had it made for years, bouncing around for cheating, more money, career advancement now the players have the same advantages and it's cheating. Times have changed, everyone better get used to it, whether it's right or wrong, this is the current reality.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
Carey Mulligan GIF by Focus Features

Nothing will happen.

Reactions: Nuke99m
Do you think if Bama would have contacted the Redhawks coach about coaching at Bama he would be complaining, I doubt he would be complaining. Coaches have had it made for years, bouncing around for cheating, more money, career advancement now the players have the same advantages and it's cheating. Times have changed, everyone better get used to it, whether it's right or wrong, this is the current reality.

Thank you for your adept use of logical fallacies.

Times haven't changed. Cheating is cheating. If the rules are bad, change them. Then it's not cheating. Until they are changed, it's still cheating.

Carey Mulligan GIF by Focus Features

Nothing will happen.

Of course nothing will happen. It's Bama. This is just a return to the days of bidding wars for recruits and coaches recruiting opposing players even on game day. It's not some kind of progress as the clueless might think. It's a return to abusing the system and rules be damned.

This is just getting started

Coaches aren't dumb and there are no rules concerning contacting HS coaches or "advisers". FSU is one of the worst, and have benefited from the portal.

During NFL draft coverage Saban blatantly admitted his regime at Bama tried to get the 1st round corner from Toledo to portal to them

No rules, no one to enforce them. Unless your AD is a dumbass stickler and throws his school onto the sword.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Coaches aren't dumb and there are no rules concerning contacting HS coaches or "advisers". FSU is one of the worst, and have benefited from the portal.
Contacting HS coaches or advisors is prohibited by the NCAA (Bylaw 13.1.1.3) and constitutes a Level II violation (Bylaw 19.1.2).

The problem is that it’s very difficult for the NCAA to compile the evidence needed to prove tampering occurred.

But the prevalence of tampering is why it’s disingenuous for most coaches to complain about the current transfer rules. If the coaches don’t want so many kids to transfer, then maybe they should stop constantly contacting athletes (directly or indirectly) at other schools to entice them to enter the transfer portal.

Contacting HS coaches or advisors is prohibited by the NCAA (Bylaw 13.1.1.3) and constitutes a Level II violation (Bylaw 19.1.2).

The problem is that it’s very difficult for the NCAA to compile the evidence needed to prove tampering occurred.

But the prevalence of tampering is why it’s disingenuous for most coaches to complain about the current transfer rules. If the coaches don’t want so many kids to transfer, then maybe they should stop constantly contacting athletes (directly or indirectly) at other schools to entice them to enter the transfer portal.
Hs coaches and advisors only have 1 player?

Hs coaches and advisors only have 1 player?
The number of players they have is irrelevant in terms of the rule. The rule is clear that coaches and boosters cannot contact a HS coach or advisor for the purpose of discussing the transfer of a student athlete at another school.

The issue isn’t that there are no rules for tampering. The tampering rule exists and is pretty clear. The issue is that the rule is extremely difficult for the NCAA to actually enforce. And because of this, coaches at most schools have no problem blatantly violating the rule because they know that the odds they will face any consequences are low.

Which is why I don’t think coaches deserve any sympathy when they complain about transfers. The coaches and boosters are a bigger part of the transfer problem than the student athletes are.

Rules might be there, but coaches are in contact with high school coaches practically daily, sometimes about current players, sometimes about former players. Do you think Brock Vandagriff built the relationship he talked about with UK 2 days after he enter the portal? Multiple schools had been in contact with his dad, a HS coach.

NCAA is hanging by a thread, they aren't going to do much enforcing of anything. I may be gone but I suspect the bigger programs break away from the NCAA in football fairly soon, basketball too maybe. Leaving it to govern the none profit sports, and it will become a memory

Reactions: trueblujr2
Rreally Miami oh coach needs to shut up and move on like he would not jump at a chance to coach Alabama

To steal, there has to be something that is their property. The kicker is NOT their property, he is a football player who played at Miami, Ohio and decided he wanted to jump to the big leagues, so he entered the portal. You know, like 1000's of players do every year. Pretty simple, if you are a kicker and play for Miami, Ohio and have a great year and have a chance to transfer to Alabama, what would you do ?
It is like Cal said to Mick Cronin when he was at Cincinnati, "I don't have to steal a player from you, if I walk in a gym and see a kid I want, I will take him, and there is nothing you can do about it, that is just the way it is." Or something to that effect. Bama will always get a player from Miami, Ohio if they want him, no need to "steal" him. Just offer him.
It was simply sour grapes from the coach because he lost a really good FG kicker to a powerhouse. Nothing more, nothing less. LOL, Alabama stealing from Miami. Ohio. I have heard it all.

Anyone doubt it's true?
I saw that before it ever went viral because I check the Miami, OH website often for news to keep up with my nephew who actually benefits directly from Graham Nicholson’s departure. I think it’s just Coach Martin being salty, because Mac schools, probably more than most conferences, have to fight to retain any player that shows a modicum of success. These kids use that to chase NIL deals. But Nicholson left right after Spring ball even though he wasn’t in danger of losing his job. He was the reigning Lou Groza award winner. But I’m personally glad he left so I get to see my nephew kick more this year.

Rreally Miami oh coach needs to shut up and move on like he would not jump at a chance to coach Alabama
Actually he probably wouldn’t. He’s been at Miami for quite a while and has turned down other opportunities. He’s a good coach happy where he’s at. His players love him.

Last edited:
To steal, there has to be something that is their property. The kicker is NOT their property, he is a football player who played at Miami, Ohio and decided he wanted to jump to the big leagues, so he entered the portal. You know, like 1000's of players do every year. Pretty simple, if you are a kicker and play for Miami, Ohio and have a great year and have a chance to transfer to Alabama, what would you do ?
It is like Cal said to Mick Cronin when he was at Cincinnati, "I don't have to steal a player from you, if I walk in a gym and see a kid I want, I will take him, and there is nothing you can do about it, that is just the way it is." Or something to that effect. Bama will always get a player from Miami, Ohio if they want him, no need to "steal" him. Just offer him.
It was simply sour grapes from the coach because he lost a really good FG kicker to a powerhouse. Nothing more, nothing less. LOL, Alabama stealing from Miami. Ohio. I have heard it all.
Graham briefly entered the portal after the season then abruptly decided to stay at Miami. He then went through Spring practice as the primary placekicker, then decided to leave right after spring ball was done. He had all the opportunity in the world to leave after he won the Lou Groza award. Alabama was in play then too. He took reps away from the guys fighting to replace him in the spring. Usually post spring departures are because of their position on the depth chart. This was an All American kicker deciding to cash in at the last minute.

No issue with this. It's the state of the game going forward. Ohio is a dog crap place to live and while alabama is no prize, it's better than Ohio.

He also got a big pay raise and may compete for a sec title and playoff bid. He wasnt getting and of that in dog crap Ohio.

Rules might be there, but coaches are in contact with high school coaches practically daily, sometimes about current players, sometimes about former players. Do you think Brock Vandagriff built the relationship he talked about with UK 2 days after he enter the portal? Multiple schools had been in contact with his dad, a HS coach.

NCAA is hanging by a thread, they aren't going to do much enforcing of anything. I may be gone but I suspect the bigger programs break away from the NCAA in football fairly soon, basketball too maybe. Leaving it to govern the none profit sports, and it will become a memory
I would not be surprised at all if there was some contact with Vandagriff, but that’s not the point of my reply.

I was simply pointing out that your comment that there are no rules about tampering and contacting HS coaches or advisors was inaccurate.

The problem isn’t the lack of rules. The problem is that coaches blatantly disregard the rules because they know it’s very difficult for the NCAA to catch them.

Graham briefly entered the portal after the season then abruptly decided to stay at Miami. He then went through Spring practice as the primary placekicker, then decided to leave right after spring ball was done. He had all the opportunity in the world to leave after he won the Lou Groza award. Alabama was in play then too. He took reps away from the guys fighting to replace him in the spring. Usually post spring departures are because of their position on the depth chart. This was an All American kicker deciding to cash in at the last minute.
Whether or not he took reps away from the other kicker is irrelevant to the discussion. It was about Alabama stealing him. If he entered the portal (he did), when he signed with Alabama is not a issue. He entered the portal, changed his mind, then changed again and reentered. Players do it all the time. Bama didn't "steal" him, he on his own free will left Miami, OH and transferred to Bama. It was shitty the way he did it, but not Bama's fault he has a problem with his moral compass.
But in his defense, Miami, OH should have been giving the other kicker reps, you know in case of a injury, or a player decided to transfer. Especially in his case when he had already flirted with leaving. Kickers are kickers, they all kick everyday in practice. Not like it was the QB or RB getting 1st team reps then leaving. Kickers can kick as much as the want in practice.

I would not be surprised at all if there was some contact with Vandagriff, but that’s not the point of my reply.

I was simply pointing out that your comment that there are no rules about tampering and contacting HS coaches or advisors was inaccurate.

The problem isn’t the lack of rules. The
Fair enough, i should have said no enforceable ryles. Kind of like NIL isnt suppose to be a recruiting tool, thats working great. FWIW, I have no issue with BV, he is a good player and wants to play, no one cane blame him
problem is that coaches blatantly disregard the rules because they know it’s very difficult for the NCAA to catch them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT