ADVERTISEMENT

Shohei Ohtani signs a 10-year, $700 Million Contract with Dodgers

Two Tommy John surgeries, won't pitch again until 2025. Have to wonder how many years he will be able to both hit and pitch at a high level after that. Ohtani will make $25 million less than Mahomes & Burrow combined.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
Here comes a right winger who calls others Marxist’s saying no one is worth that kind of money in 3… 2… 1…

Two Tommy John surgeries, won't pitch again until 2025. Have to wonder how many years he will be able to both hit and pitch at a high level after that. Ohtani will make $25 million less than Mahomes & Burrow combined.

Problem is, there is nothing to stop owners from spending this money if they choose. No real penalty aside from the luxury tax.

Just not sure why baseball thinks they can't make a salary cap work like the other sports. You know, if they had one, maybe then you wouldn't have the 6 or 7 totally useless franchises that no one shows up for.

Last edited:
Problem is, there is nothing to stop owners from spending this money if they choose. No real penalty aside from the luxury tax.

Just not sure why baseball thinks they can't make a salary cap work like the other sports. You know, if they had one, maybe then you wouldn't have the 6 or 7 totally useless franchises that no one shows up for.
With revenue sharing what’s the point if you’re an owner you can bank.
Cycle through a bunch of young players and hope your scouts are good - look at marlins and rays.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Won't prove fruitful. Guy turning 30 next year. Two major surgeries will likely limit if not soon end his pitching career. He will be a .275 and 30 guy within 3 years.

Good on him though....got paid.

I was hoping my Cubs could've signed Ohtani, but now I'm glad we didn't. That's obscene money. Give me 3 or 4 decent players for about half that.

Reactions: roguemocha
Makes very little sense. Unreal talent but can’t stay on the diamond even in his peak physical years.

I'm not mad about it like some seem to be. I don't understand getting mad because an athlete gets an obscene amount of money. There's 22 year old female Twitch streamers who sit in their little gaming chairs after probably doing an hour of yoga and coming back from Starbucks who probably make $200K+. I do think at some point fans should question why they're willing to pay what they pay to watch a live sporting event if the front office is willing to pay this much though. These are billion dollar organizations and the every man has just accepted paying some absurd amount for a lukewarm beer in a crappy little cup. That I don't understand.

Makes very little sense. Unreal talent but can’t stay on the diamond even in his peak physical years.

(I posted this on HOB as well) of course the Ohtani deal is stupid, no one player in baseball is worth that much money, but at least the Dodgers are doing it in an effort to win the World Series, just like the Yankees have done over and over again, it probably won't work, but their intent is to win a championship. Hell, the NYY won their only WS this century with A Rod in the lineup in 2009, so that $325M wasn't a complete waste. ;)

With revenue sharing what’s the point if you’re an owner you can bank.
Cycle through a bunch of young players and hope your scouts are good - look at marlins and rays.
That's probably the biggest problem with baseball - the revenue sharing is nothing like NFL. In MLB, the local media contracts are all kept by the team. I'm guessing the Yankees, Dodgers, Bosox, etc have local media contracts >>> Rockies, A's, Reds, Marlins, etc so they're never going to be able to sustain and keep all their homegrown stars on the roster. Rockies are a great example. Over the years, they've had a few really good players and they've all left for greener pastures (Nolan Arenado most recently).

I wonder how much of that $700M is back filled after the 10 year playing time is up. Maybe 15-20 years total to payout the $$$.
Haven't seen exact numbers but ESPN's Jeff Passan says most of it will be deferred much like the Ken Griffey Jr & Bobby Bonilla contracts are. Read somewhere from endorsements, he gets $35 million every year on top of his MLB salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Haven't seen exact numbers but ESPN's Jeff Passan says most of it will be deferred much like the Ken Griffey Jr & Bobby Bonilla contracts are. Read somewhere from endorsements, he gets $35 million every year on top of his MLB salary.

Its almost like I said that.

I imagine there's also a multi-million dollar insurance policy somewhere. So, the franchise is spending $750 million (or so) rather than $700 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT