ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard. This is wild

DJ is coming off a 28 point game… he’s fine.
I never said he wasn’t fine. I said Reed is playing better and should not be losing minutes to DJ. Continue to let DJ come along, but also increase Reed’s minutes. I like allowing DJ to play off the ball as well with Reed at point.

Are you saying you feel DJ is playing better than Reed and deserves the same or more minutes at point? I’m not sure how anyone can watch the games and feel that way, even with DJ beginning to play better in a couple games.

I never said he wasn’t fine. I said Reed is playing better and should not be losing minutes to DJ. Continue to let DJ come along, but also increase Reed’s minutes. I like allowing DJ to play off the ball as well with Reed at point.

Are you saying you feel DJ is playing better than Reed and deserves the same or more minutes at point? I’m not sure how anyone can watch the games and feel that way, even with DJ beginning to play better in a couple games.
Reed isn’t losing minutes to anyone though. There are plenty of minutes for both of them to play a bunch which they have. Everyone of our top 8 besides Burks is playing 27-34 minutes a game.

What if coming off the bench helps him? Just a thought and it’s worked so far.
Explain how you think that is even possible. Do you think his skills as a basketball player are just amplified because he rides the bench for the first few minutes? This is a silly notion that people float out there and it has never made any sense.

Love the Dilly/Reed chemistry. Keep them together. NBA money comes with the second contract. Sooner a player is out the sooner he hits the lottery.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Maybe we can finally have the most hated white boy in America to our opponents rather than Duke lol. I mean he is nowhere near a douche or dirty like they are but he will hit a dagger 3 when it matters most!
If Reed stays and then add Perry, what would they think then

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Explain how you think that is even possible. Do you think his skills as a basketball player are just amplified because he rides the bench for the first few minutes? This is a silly notion that people float out there and it has never made any sense.
Some guys do like coming off the bench, they like watching the game and seeing how the other team is playing. There is something to it for some players. It’s working so I don’t see the big deal either way. I think people on here have more of a problem with it than Reed does.

Reed isn’t losing minutes to anyone though. There are plenty of minutes for both of them to play a bunch which they have. Everyone of our top 8 besides Burks is playing 27-34 minutes a game.
Well we can agree to disagree. I don’t know exactly how many mins each are getting. I assume they are about even or even DJ getting more before his injury last game. I am saying that Reed has earned more mins than DJ at this point. If DJ continues to play well and earn more, then even better.

I agree Reed doesn’t seem mind. My concern is that if status quo continues thru the season it could come back to bite us.

Last edited:
Who cares who starts? Would you rather your feelings not be hurt that he's in when the game is 0-0, or in the game when we it's important.

Would you rather him have more minutes, or start? Which is more important?
Lulz it’s more important to have one of your best players, if not your best player, starting and finishing the game. No other team in the country doesn’t start their best player. It’s absolutely absurd.

I’ve already taken the mental stance that he is gone. Not gonna get my hopes up.

Some here will disagree, but if you are guaranteed first round it is crazy not to go. Even with NIL. KY kid or not, it’s life changing money and what you are risking by staying isn’t worth it.
I don't think the issue of money even comes into the equation because his family is wealthy. The risk of a debilitating injury would be the only thing I can see that would cause him to leave this year.

Well that ain't happening.

Sure if he continues to shoot 63-65%. But that's NEVER come close to happening by any perimeter player in the history of the sport, so no it AIN'T happening.

Honestly, he won't be an AA even. But I think he could be as high as 1st team all-SEC, it's a longshot but possible.

Reactions: fatguy87
I don't understand the stigma some people put on starting. (I'd be fine if he started.) But, total minutes and closing minutes matter much more than starting. I personally like the current setup with Reed and Rob coming in before the first tv timeout. They're almost always setting at the table around the 17 min mark. Opposing players are slightly winded and I really like how those 2 players take UK to a higher gear as the opposing team are wanting to coast for a couple minutes.

Injuries may put Reed in the starting lineup this weekend and he may stay there rest of the year. But total minutes and closing minutes are much more important than starting. I don't think UK fans will mind at all if the minute distribution stays where it is right now.
To most people, the mindset is the best players start. If it isn’t a big deal then let the Kentucky boy start for the home town crowd and let the NBA prospect come off the bench.

What if coming off the bench helps him? Just a thought and it’s worked so far.
Just a thought tho to play devils advocate, what if part of his motivation for busting his a$$ is to become a starter and you take that away.

Well we can agree to disagree. I don’t know exactly how many mins each are getting. I assume they are about even or even DJ getting more before his injury last game. I am saying that Reed has earned more mins than DJ at this point. If DJ continues to play well and earn more, then even better.

I agree Reed doesn’t seem mind. My concern is that if status quo continues thru the season it could come back to bite us.
I guess the order of play for the two players doesn't matter if you like playing from behind.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Fanta, who didn’t even put UK in his preseason top 25, now has Shep in his top 20 CBB players.

I don’t think Reed playing 30 minutes a game is gonna hurt us.

To most people, the mindset is the best players start. If it isn’t a big deal then let the Kentucky boy start for the home town crowd and let the NBA prospect come off the bench.
Mess up good chemistry to make local fans happy. Now, that’s a new strategy they’re teaching at coaching clinics!

Mess up good chemistry to make local fans happy. Now, that’s a new strategy they’re teaching at coaching clinics!
Who said it would mess up chemistry. You seem quite presumptuous, must be something you learn in indoctrination 101. Where were you the last 50 years of college basketball to tell all of those coaches that changed starting lineups they were screwing up chemistry? Imagine all the harmony you could have saved.

Last edited:
The feel-good story of the year.
It’s feel good but it’s reaching ridiculous levels of proportion. Reed is a great player but the season just began and cbb is filled with great players this year. This stuff can get to his head potentially. He’s not putting up oscaresque numbers so I think this hype can only serve to hurt him

The best players start so 2018 vs kSU doesn’t happen and start cold play the rest of the way trying to catch up. It’s better to get out to a lead than start in a hole

Who said it would mess up chemistry. You seem quite presumptuous, must be something you learn in indoctrination 101. Where were you the last 50 years of college basketball to tell all of those coaches that changed starting lineups they were screwing up chemistry? Imagine all the harmony you could have saved.
As I said before, I’m fine if Reed starts. But, 99% of time, coaches don’t mess with chemistry when you’re winning and the team is looking good in the process.

Again, who starts isn’t a big deal unless the team has slow starts. Our most recent cold start a few games back had nothing to do with offense, but the opposing team shot lights out first 5 minutes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Reed starts tomorrow because of injury and that becomes the new lineup with Bradshaw working his way in.

Total minutes played and closing out games are much more important than who starts. I think Reed and Rob are excelling in their role. Plus, they’re playing key minutes to close out close games.

Regardless of who starts, starting a lineup to make some fans happy is something elementary school coaches do because they’re intimidated by a screaming parent.

Reactions: dl51344
Lil Shepp is just fine where he is. He is all about team. For goodness sakes he gives some of his NIL money to his teammates that are not as fortunate in the NIL department.. let him win NPOY and 6th man of the year. It will be the first and he's FROM KENTUCKY. The way it should be. His toughest competition he has for 6th man of the year is Dilly, his teammate.
Looks to me, everything is coming in order. Now we are going to have to integrate our big men in the lineup. The backcourt is set and now we have to get our rotation for our frontcourt. This team is special. I knew it from the beginning. But Reed Sheppard is so very special. We as Kentuckians need to start a NIL fund to make sure he stays for 4 years and makes more than he would in the NBA. Period

Go Cats!
Nine sounds Fine!!!

As I said before, I’m fine if Reed starts. But, 99% of time, coaches don’t mess with chemistry when you’re winning and the team is looking good in the process.

Again, who starts isn’t a big deal unless the team has slow starts. Our most recent cold start a few games back had nothing to do with offense, but the opposing team shot lights out first 5 minutes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Reed starts tomorrow because of injury and that becomes the new lineup with Bradshaw working his way in.

Total minutes played and closing out games are much more important than who starts. I think Reed and Rob are excelling in their role. Plus, they’re playing key minutes to close out close games.

Regardless of who starts, starting a lineup to make some fans happy is something elementary school coaches do because they’re intimidated by a screaming parent.
Nice response, but again that’s only your opinion. For most people and a lot of players it matters who starts.

I’ve already taken the mental stance that he is gone. Not gonna get my hopes up.

Some here will disagree, but if you are guaranteed first round it is crazy not to go. Even with NIL. KY kid or not, it’s life changing money and what you are risking by staying isn’t worth it.
I agree, if he has a legit shot he will go. Cal would “make” him go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT