ADVERTISEMENT

Shaw: top 10 coaches in CBB

Man, Bennett lucks into one title and he's a Top Ten Coach, I don't really get it.

Cal only has one too, but he's taken multiple teams to FF's so, he's got a bit stronger argument.

Is Sampson REALLY a Top Ten Coach? He's good don't get me wrong. But the man just has two final fours and NO title. And his FF's were nearly 20 years apart.

Same goes for Cronin. He has ONE final four. That's it.

I get these are the "active' guys, but man.

Cal is not too 10 is we are going off the last few years. 10 years ago shouldn’t matter. If we’re looking at 5 years to present, he’s not top 10. I live in omaha, not a Creighton fan. But they have a better coach than Kentucky does. In fact, McDermott is a damn good coach who’s starting to become relevant

College basketball coaching must be down if Cronin is top 10. Cal definitely has the resume to be a top 10 coach, but he hasn't even been top 75 the last 3 years. He has been God awful. Hopefully he changes that this season.
Yeah, not considering the last three years, he's easily T10. But woof his last few years are just.....just awful

College basketball coaching must be down if Cronin is top 10. Cal definitely has the resume to be a top 10 coach, but he hasn't even been top 75 the last 3 years. He has been God awful. Hopefully he changes that this season.
I'm surprised there hasn't been 4 pages on this thread criticizing Cal, given that just 6 weeks ago there were 5 threads a day saying how bad a coach he is.

Some numbers from the LHL.
With Mike Krzyzewski in retirement, Kansas and Bill Self have, to coin a phrase, emerged as the “gold standard” among the primary men’s college hoops blue bloods — Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina. (I would argue that Villanova, Connecticut and Gonzaga have in the 21st century become “new blood, blue bloods,” while Indiana and UCLA have fallen from the ranks of traditional blue bloods due to a lack of sustained, modern success. Those are, however, topics for a different column).

Among the four traditional blue bloods:
▪ Kansas has won the most total games over the past five seasons:
1. Kansas 137;
2. Duke 129;
3. Kentucky 112;
4. North Carolina 110.
▪ Kansas has won the most NCAA Tournament games over the past five seasons:
1. Kansas nine;
2. Duke eight;
3. North Carolina seven;
4. Kentucky four.
▪ Kansas has won the most total games over the past 10 seasons:
1. Kansas 284;
2. Duke 272;
3. Kentucky 264;
4. North Carolina 252.
Most painfully for Cats fans, the relentless, regular-season excellence Self has authored at KU — the coach has led the Jayhawks to 10 different seasons with 30 wins or more — has allowed Kansas to displace Kentucky as the all-time victories leader in men’s college hoops history.
After the 2022-23 season, the all-time wins race stood:
1. Kansas 2,385;
2. Kentucky 2,375;
3. North Carolina 2,342;
4. Duke 2,29

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article278322733.html#storylink=cpy

I'm surprised there hasn't been 4 pages on this thread criticizing Cal, given that just 6 weeks ago there were 5 threads a day saying how bad a coach he is.
6 weeks ago we barely had enough to scrimmage. It was looking bleak. Cal just needs to get back to winning.

Reactions: chroix
▪ Kansas has won the most NCAA Tournament games over the past five seasons:
1. Kansas nine;
2. Duke eight;
3. North Carolina seven;
4. Kentucky four.

Most painfully for Cats fans, the relentless, regular-season excellence Self has authored at KU — the coach has led the Jayhawks to 10 different seasons with 30 wins or more — has allowed Kansas to displace Kentucky as the all-time victories leader in men’s college hoops history.
After the 2022-23 season, the all-time wins race stood:
1. Kansas 2,385;
2. Kentucky 2,375;
3. North Carolina 2,342;
4. Duke 2,29

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article278322733.html#storylink=cpy
These two are the biggest hurt right now.

Four tourney games in 5 years has just been unacceptable. We used to pick up 4 a year (or over the course of a couple years) easily.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Whole lot of scandals on that list.

Was waiting for someone to point that out.
mijmfVX.gif

We’re just sitting back watching you fools get a running start at that football again. You seriously believe Lucy won't pull it away just before you kick it. Yup, you should really go hard after it this time, I'm sure ole Lucy won't do it again.

I'd rather see a list of coaches who are the top 10 in the last 5 years.
A few of those coaches are on there for legacy not what they have done recently.
If the ran it based on 2016-2023, Cal wouldn’t be in the top 20. He gets a bump becasue he’s coaching at UK too.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
We’re just sitting back watching you fools get a running start at that football again. You seriously believe Lucy won't pull it away just before you kick it. Yup, you should really go hard after it this time, I'm sure ole Lucy won't do it again.
Well, I don't trust Cal, but I do like our guys, and Welch seems to have made some difference.

He's been awfully quiet lately. No random "Little House" comments. No weird off season stuff yet.

Maybe things are looking up a bit.
Meh, he’s done this each off season since the 9-16 debacle. Comes out, talks a little shit, then goes quiet for a while. Dude has nothing up his sleeve, he’s just learned to stop letting his alligator mouth write checks his parakeet ass can't cash.

Meh, he’s done this each off season since the 9-16 debacle. Comes out, talks a little shit, then goes quiet for a while. Dude has nothing up his sleeve, he’s just learned to stop letting his alligator mouth write checks his parakeet ass can't cash.
Not saying I think he's got this. But I'm hoping Welch is enough to counter his opinions and be someone he kinda listens too.

This team has me excited. I want to believe they will be utilized properly. We have the recipe for success if blended properly. No more guarantees to players that can't produce.

Release the hounds and run the opponents legs off. When they get tired throw a new pack of dawgs in on them to chew them up and spit them out.

No more excuses.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Not saying I think he's got this. But I'm hoping Welch is enough to counter his opinions and be someone he kinda listens too.
Yeah, I get that, I had those same thoughts when he hired Antiqua and Chin, but it didn’t happen.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Strictly based on actual in game coaching ability, Pitino is the best on that list. Easily. Cal has to be top 5, in an all things considered standard.
I normally agree with you on most topics, but not this time my BBN friend. If Cal is top 10, then he's 10th, IMO. The man is a horrible in game and X's and O's coach.

Reactions: kyjeff1
It most certainly is. Look at the list of names.

I normally agree with you on most topics, but not this time my BBN friend. If Cal is top 10, then he's 10th, IMO. The man is a horrible in game and X's and O's coach.
That’s why I said, “in all things considered standard”. Meaning: recruiting, getting his teams to buy in, player development, etc. Now, I know his player development has been lacking lately, but he was the best in the game at that at one point.

Is nobody gonna mention that the graphics designer who put that image together thought that identifying Bill Self with the line pointing to his lil self was a great idea? I have both questions and concerns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT