ADVERTISEMENT

Shai Alexander now a 5 Star

Way too much weight placed on the All-Star games in the 247 rankings. If you're going to raise a kid to a top 5 player because of them then another couple you should probably drop out of the top 15 because of them. Which would be stupid in my opinion

that was a big jump, quite surprising. Not sure i would agree with it.

Not sure i would have Sexton moved up that much.
Not sure why you drop Diallo just because he wasn't playing in areas where he can watch them...

Reactions: madison1329
I had watched Shai in a couple of games and wasn't that sold on him. He is a guy who plays within himself and fills his expected role capably. Not an aggressive player or scorer.

In the Derby game, he came out with a chip on his shoulder and played aggressively and I saw a different player. Just incredibly smooth and in control, excellent ability to get to the basket and make difficult shots, a guy who - like Vanderbilt - is just all over the court and impacts the game in so many ways. Cal is going to love what he brings to the table, and he'll play a lot.

That said, I don't at all agree with dropping Green. Both Green and Alexander should be around middle 20's.

Way too much weight placed on the All-Star games in the 247 rankings. If you're going to raise a kid to a top 5 player because of them then another couple you should probably drop out of the top 15 because of them. Which would be stupid in my opinion
Probably right, but he was pretty consistent with it. The 3 guys who most stood out in the All-Star games were Sexton, Vanderbilt, and Jaren Jackson. He (Jerry Meyer) gave all 3 big bumps.

And if you ignore the All-Star games, you get things that register as equally wrong. See the outrage yesterday over ESPN's final top 100, where Vanderbilt in particular only got a minor bump from prior ratings, and SGA got none at all.

All of which is why the RSCI or 247 composite is what people should really look at. UK's guys are 9, 14, 15, 16, 23, 30, and 70 in the 247 composite. RSCI isn't updated yet, but will be soon. I personally think Vanderbilt is still too low at 14, but I understand some of the trepidation about him given his shooting limitations. As for the others, no real issue.

People have bagged on this as a weak class, but I don't see it that way. I think it does lack the number of potential superstars we saw with the 16 class, but I think it has really solid depth through the top 25, with not a lot to separate guys rated around 5 and guys rated around 20.

They over think these rankings too much and try to get cute to be different. Your eyes tell you who the best guy is. Then the next. Over at least three years and two summers and some all star games, there's no way to have the wild variations from site to site. They just have to be different or it looks like they copied.

Cue fans calling for him to start over Green now that he has a 5th star.

Just from the 2 all star games, I liked Alex better.
Doesn't mean much....but the extra height is a factor.
Hit 2 3's and 2 long 2's in Derby.

Alexander was really impressive during the Derby Classic practices and game. He can play point guard. However, the most impressive player I've seen during all of these all star games is the Sexton kid who signed with Alabama. He is super quick, can jump out of the gym, excellent passer, very good outside shot and extremely high motor. How did he escapee Coach Cal's interest? Never heard of Sexton until the all star games.

Alexander was really impressive during the Derby Classic practices and game. He can play point guard. However, the most impressive player I've seen during all of these all star games is the Sexton kid who signed with Alabama. He is super quick, can jump out of the gym, excellent passer, very good outside shot and extremely high motor. How did he escapee Coach Cal's interest? Never heard of Sexton until the all star games.
One correction, he is a decent outside shooter, not a very good one. But I really like the kid and wish we could have landed him.

He is awesome, best PG this year. Don't know about the outside shot though.

We are in great shape at point guard next season.Not many teams have 2 very solid point guard prospects.

We are in great shape at point guard next season.Not many teams have 2 very solid point guard prospects.

Agreed.

Very good, strong depth. But make no mistake--- it is a talent drop off from fox and monk. And let's be honest--- that should be expected. Those guys don't come around often.

Reactions: spotter34
Some of these moves seem a bit drastic to me. I do think Shai was underrated at #42, but to move him up to #19 based on these all-star games is a bit much. I do think he should be top 30, though. And dropping a star from a guy like Quade Green seems too much, also. I know he only dropped from 27 to 30, but I don't get the drop. What did he do to drop like that? I was watching a recording of the Jordan Brand on Monday night (I didn't get to see it live) and he didn't score a huge amount, but he was dropping dimes left and right when he was in. He finished that game with 10 assists. And why drop Diallo? Because he couldn't play in these games?

I think it's great Vanderbilt moved up and SGA moved up, but some of these moves are a bit much. As others have said, these rankings don't mean much. All-star games are for show, just like these rankings. I've seen guys show out in these games and not have much of an impact. I've also seen guys who didn't do much at all in these games have great freshman campaigns. We shall see.

Reactions: DevilFan1989
I watched a lot of this kid on film.

I think he is a bit overrated short term and underrated long term.

He could be an absolutely fantastic player. I don't think it will be next year, though.

Hopefully the 5* doesnt put unfair expectations on the kid.
I don't think he is overrated or underrated. He will be a good player next season who IMO will average around 7 pts 2 assists and play about 30% of the time at pg with Green getting the other 70% or so . In season 2 I think he will play more even if green comes back ( I could see him starting at sg beside green since Diallo will be gone ) and average around 13 and 4 and 4 and being drafted somewhere between 15-30 in the draft that year. Scouts are really intrigued with him due to his size and being a true pg .

Reactions: railroadkat_1
I'm Happy for Shai and disappointed for Quade. Both are excellent players. Quade is not a speedster like Fox but has a good handle and will give you all he has. Didn't play in the Hoops Summit due to a concussion. He played in McDonald game and Jordon brand game. Jordon game fresh on my mind. 10 assist and 9 TO. Many of his turn overs were passes missed by players or they couldn't handle them he will be a good player. Shai has been a pleasant surprise I just haven't seen him play a whole lot!

I believe this ranking is more accurate than some of the others. They got Wendell Carter and Gary Trent about right. Robinson may be a little high for WKU and Greene is a little low.

He won the 3 point shooting contest at McDonald's game. He is a good, not necessarily great shooter but with all his other skills, he appears to be a top 5 drive pick.
Isaiah Briscoe won an all american game three point shooting contest as well. Just fwiw.

Reactions: TexKat
I don't think he is overrated or underrated. He will be a good player next season who IMO will average around 7 pts 2 assists and play about 30% of the time at pg with Green getting the other 70% or so . In season 2 I think he will play more even if green comes back ( I could see him starting at sg beside green since Diallo will be gone ) and average around 13 and 4 and 4 and being drafted somewhere between 15-30 in the draft that year. Scouts are really intrigued with him due to his size and being a true pg .

You kinda just made my point.

Shai is now rated higher than the player you are predicting gets more than twice the PT next season.

A 5* pg at UK averaging 7/2.... is rather modest.

Again... I'm not disputing your predictions. I think you are probably right. But I suspect expectations will be unfairly higher, partly do to this ranking bump.

I like Quade but I will say he was somewhat careless with the ball in the all-star games. Probably just a case of him trying to do too much but I think he'll be fine once Cal and staff coach him up. The opposite was the case for Shai, he played pretty much mistake free basketball. He's got a great pace to his game and his change of speed is top notch. Not overly athletic but very shifty and can change direction well in tight spaces. I really like his vision and ability to see the floor at multiple spots, this translates to all levels of basketball. He will play meaningful minutes next year for sure!

Reactions: anon_013cn8yrfncx2

Its not the games necessarily but all the practices. Their is much more competition in the practices than the games themselves which is basically a joke except the Nike games which is more competitive.

Agreed.

Very good, strong depth. But make no mistake--- it is a talent drop off from fox and monk. And let's be honest--- that should be expected. Those guys don't come around often.
Monk was the shooting guard and Diallo replaces him. Prob the only high school kid in the country as athletic as Monk, plus three inches taller.

Vanderbilt and Washington will make this a great passing team. We also will
be very difficult to press with big kids who handle the ball as well as they do.

I wasn't sold on Alexander from some of the earlier mix tapes. But was very impressed with him in the US-International challenge game. I would not be surprised to see he and Green on the floor together a lot. Diallo is gonna have to be awfully good to keep either of them on the bench. Admittedly I've only seen snippets of Diallo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT