ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Tourney in Nashville: A Visitors Guide

GogglesUp

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2013
Hey everyone. I don't post on here much (long time lurker), but as a Nashville native, I thought I would drop by with a few suggestions on what to do/where to drink/what to eat while in Nashville. I'm sure many of you have been to Nashville and have your list of favorites, but the city has changed some since the last time the Tournament was in Nashville - so maybe I can offer something new.

Where to Eat
1) Hot Chicken - Hattie B's (19th Ave S) or Prince's (Ewing Dr.) are both excellent. Just be prepared for a true "mouth stimulating experience."

2) Burgers - Everyone has an opinion on this - my personal favorite is Burger Republic (11th Ave South) - but Tavern (Division St., Midtown), Flip Burger Boutique (Charlotte Ave.), Gabby's (Humphrey's St.) & The Pharmacy (McFerrin Ave.) are all fantastic.

3) Steaks/High-End Restaurants - Bob's (just opened in the Omni downtown), Kayne Prime (McGavock St.), The Southern (3rd Ave. S), The Watermark (12th Ave. S), and of course you have your high end chains Flemmings & Ruths Chris (West End Ave.)

4) Other local favorites - Five Point Pizza, Edley's BBQ (highly recommend), Martins BBQ, Baja Burrito, McDougals Chicken, SATCO.

I could go on and on and on and on with every kind of food, so ask about a specific type and I can give you all the info that I know in a reply. And I am positive I have left some great local options off this list.

Where to Drink
Anywhere & everywhere. At this point you aren't going to find many bars without Blue in them. So let me give you some insight to the 3 major bar districts in Nashville & what makes each of them unique.

1) Broadway - for those of you that have been to Nashville, you know that Broadway by the area turns into a sea of blue come tourney time and it has no shortage of great places to wet your whistle - Big Bang, Paradise Park, The Stage, Broadway Brewhouse. I will say that he hottest new place on Broad is all the way down at the corner of Broad and 1st called Acme Feed & Seed. It's pretty incredible.

My favorite place, that's new however, is just off Broad is attached to the Omni and is called Bar Lines (4th Ave. just next door to Hatch Show Print and the Hall of Fame). Great atmosphere, huge TVS, open air. Fantastic.

2) Demonbreun - this string of bars is just up the street from the arena, but takes you just out of downtown. The two biggest spots are SOUTH, which is a little newer, and Tin Roof which I have no doubt will be packed. Not my favorite spot in Nashville and there are other bars to choose from, but if the Tin Roof brand is your thing. This is where you'll find it. (There is also another Tin Roof on Broad)

3) Midtown - Winners, Losers, Red Door, ReBar - just around the corner from Chuy's (which is more great eats) - Broadway Brewhouse, Tavern, and of course UK headquarters when the city is not over run with BLUE - Corner Pub Midtown. This is my favorite area, lots of great food and drink to choose from. Lots of different atmospheres.

East Nashville also has some options if you want to venture to that side of the river. I don't frequent those places (5 Spot & Red Door East come to mind) so I can't make much of a recommendation.

Final Thought -

GETTING AROUND TOWN IS GOING TO BE CRAZY. My advice. Park your car and take Uber or Lyft. Great service. Incredibly personable. (I prefer Lyft to Uber. Just personal preference for Nashville.) And they will have tons of drivers on hand for the tournament. Usually 55% cheaper than a cab and you are guaranteed they will speak English (not meaning to be offensive, just saying we have all been there.) PLUS - if your a first time user of the Lyft App you can use the code UKWILDCATS or GOWILDCATS and get one free ride up to $20. If you have a party of 4 - and all download the app - that code can be used for all of you, so thats 4 free rides for you and your party. Great way to be safe and save money in Nashville.

Can't wait to visit everyone. See you Thursday/Friday! GO BIG BLUE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News