ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Tournament 2023

Big_Blue_1018

Junior
Oct 5, 2014
It’ll be the cats vs the tide in game 3 on Tuesday in the opening round of the SEC tournament. UK is #8 and Bama is #9.

Reactions: SeanCain
Really need to win the game v Bama to feel like a regional is a lock.

If the Cats make a deep run then it’s not far fetched to snag a 5th national seed. I think Florida, Vandy, Arky and LSU have 4 of the 8 locked. Wake, Clemson and UVA probably have the other 3. I think it leaves 1 slot for teams like USC, UT, UK, Auburn, Stanford, etc… I think it’s possible that SEC gets 5 of the top 8 national seeds if any of the four of USC, UT, UK or Auburn make it to the final of the sec tourney.

Thoughts?

If the Cats make a deep run then it’s not far fetched to snag a 5th national seed. I think Florida, Vandy, Arky and LSU have 4 of the 8 locked. Wake, Clemson and UVA probably have the other 3. I think it leaves 1 slot for teams like USC, UT, UK, Auburn, Stanford, etc… I think it’s possible that SEC gets 5 of the top 8 national seeds if any of the four of USC, UT, UK or Auburn make it to the final of the sec tourney.

Thoughts?
Since the Cats aren’t a name program, we will have to do a little more. We see how this works in basketball. UK is a name program and gets some advantages because of it.

Reactions: UkMccurdy

Thoughts?

Stanford is definitely getting a top 8 seed. I think Vandy and Virginia are both in the running for a top 8 seed but neither has locked it up, IMO. Otherwise, I agree with you that Wake, Arky, UF, LSU, Clemson, Stanford all have top 8 seeds locked down.

UK would have to do major damage in Hoover to Get a top 8, so I'm just hoping that they can host a regional.

Teams to root against:

Vandy
Virginia
West Virginia
Texas
Oklahoma State
Boston College
Dallas Baptist
East Carolina
Indiana State
Tennessee
Auburn
Alabama
South Carolina
Uconn
Coastal Carolina
Oregon State

Reactions: KYExtemper
Any thoughts on who Kentucky starts on the mound tomorrow? I think we probably host regardless but a win tomorrow should remove all doubt.

Any thoughts on who Kentucky starts on the mound tomorrow? I think we probably host regardless but a win tomorrow should remove all doubt.
Has to be Bosma, imo. I think that was the plan the whole time with holding him out over the weekend. Give him a chance to reset the batteries. Williams should be available to piggyback off of him. Honestly feels like the Cats are set up pretty good with arms going into Hoover.

Bosma and Williams are probably the options with the most rested arms. I probably trust Williams and Moore more than any other pitcher in a big game right now.

Bosma and Williams are probably the options with the most rested arms. I probably trust Williams and Moore more than any other pitcher in a big game right now.
I would absolutely agree with that. It was good to see Martin throw a clean inning Saturday. If Lee can continue working deep and winning games that sets you up to piggy back some combination of Smith/Martin/Williams/Bosma/Moore/Hagenow. That’s a lot of really good arms that you can go to in high leverage situations and really shorten games. Add a healthy Chavez and Byers and Giles and that’s a very capable staff for a postseason run.

To me, Strickland and Lee are the two best pitchers on the roster. I know we can't throw either until later in the week (which means we have to win Tuesday to have a "later in the week"), so hopefully we can scrape by Tuesday with Bosma.

Surprisingly, South Carolina killed Georgia today. Tennessee is losing (and being 1 hit) by A&M in the 9th and they're in a rain delay which is delaying the start of the UK game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT