ADVERTISEMENT

SEC-T final

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
It is a known FACT that the SEC-T final has no impact on seeding, the game simply doesn't count. Yet the SEC wants their $ and won't move it up a day.
So I would love to see the 2 teams/coaches going into it (if neither needs to win to get in via automatic bid), agree to flip their (& FLIP OFF the SEC and ESPN and Selection Committee) lineups in the final and play the benches & walkons. Not risking injury to the best players in a game that the NCAA committee (unspoken) says doesn't matter/count.

How would that look like for the Cats?
PG Watkins 30min
SG Horn 30min
SF/SG Canada 30min
PF/SF/PG Theiro 25min
C Onyenso 25min
C/PF Ware 25min
PF Collins 25min
(??) 10min

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Would the coaches do that? I’m sure there’s some crap in their contracts about bonus cheddar for winning it.

Also Severe should be playing with the walk-ons.

Would the coaches do that? I’m sure there’s some crap in their contracts about bonus cheddar for winning it.

Also Severe should be playing with the walk-ons.
Fredrick too (if nothing else to see the ball go thru the net in a game).

But they are both injured

No, because the SECT matters here. We have an overwhelming lead in SECT titles. One of our staples as GOAT.
I get your point.
But I would put up our bench vs most teams bench.
However maybe 1 less chance at an SEC-T is worth it if it causes a change that results in better future seeding and thus better chances at #9-10-11-12.

I’d be all for that if it prompted a change in either the game really counting or with it getting moved up a day.

It is a known FACT that the SEC-T final has no impact on seeding, the game simply doesn't count. Yet the SEC wants their $ and won't move it up a day.
So I would love to see the 2 teams/coaches going into it (if neither needs to win to get in via automatic bid), agree to flip their (& FLIP OFF the SEC and ESPN and Selection Committee) lineups in the final and play the benches & walkons. Not risking injury to the best players in a game that the NCAA committee (unspoken) says doesn't matter/count.

How would that look like for the Cats?
PG Watkins 30min
SG Horn 30min
SF/SG Canada 30min
PF/SF/PG Theiro 25min
C Onyenso 25min
C/PF Ware 25min
PF Collins 25min
(??) 10min
I guess my question is how is the SEC losing money if they move the entire tournament up one day, thus culminating with the championship game on a Saturday?

What revenue are they losing? Is ESPN paying less money for a Saturday champ game as opposed to Sunday. Don't really understand this...

It would be much easier for the NCAA committee to have an alternative bracket to cover the outcome of the SEC title game but maybe that's asking too much. You kno...know.... thinking about a basketball tournament on the weekend is a very taxing job. Almost makes you feel sorry for them

That is definitely an interesting idea, but we saw last game how we looked with just the bench/walk-ons.

The SECT may not mean much or anything to the selection committee, but it does to the fans. I remember having the shirt that said "back to back to back" when we won 97-99.

Kentucky has pretty much owned the tournament winning it 32 times - even 6 with Cal as coach. There were times when the selection committee should have moved us up but didn't like in 2011 when we beat FL and they gave FL the 2 seed and us the 4 seed. I think their minds are already made up around half-time or before of the SECT finals.

Until this game actually matters, then it really doesn't make much sense to take it seriously. I agree 100%.

Still, I'd rather see them actually just move the game back a day, or make the Selection Committee turds just stay a half hour later that day, so it CAN count as a win for an SEC team, and actually be used in the seeding for the tournament.

These are the types of little things that hold Kentucky back, and I don't know why we aren't pushing them harder. Had 2016 Kentucky with sophomore Ulis actually had SECT counted, we move past TA&M in seeding, and who knows how that affects the result of the tournament. We'd be a #3-seed and not a #4 seed matched up with Indiana.

I guess my question is how is the SEC losing money if they move the entire tournament up one day, thus culminating with the championship game on a Saturday?

What revenue are they losing? Is ESPN paying less money for a Saturday champ game as opposed to Sunday. Don't really understand this...
I don’t think there’s enough time slots. You have what (and I’m just guessing since I’m normally focused only on the SEC), ACC, Big 12, Big East, PAC 12, and I think there’s a few others that play Saturday title games. Just not enough room for a Saturday championship.

I never know why they don’t move it to Saturday, I guess they want the spotlight. Move everything up a day, and take the SEC final the first one Saturday at like 1 PM so th game matters

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I never know why they don’t move it to Saturday, I guess they want the spotlight. Move everything up a day, and take the SEC final the first one Saturday at like 1 PM so th game matters

That, or.. just tell the SC to figure it out. In what world does an entire department get to be like "Oh no sorry, we're not doing this"?

I don't care if you have to work an extra half hour on Sunday. This is your J-O-B. Oh, the SECT Final doesn't end until like 4pm or whatever? Tough shit.

I'll even make this easier, come up with two scenarios.. Team A wins? Then do this bracket. Team B wins? Then do this one instead..

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
That, or.. just tell the SC to figure it out. In what world does an entire department get to be like "Oh no sorry, we're not doing this"?

I don't care if you have to work an extra half hour on Sunday. This is your J-O-B. Oh, the SECT Final doesn't end until like 4pm or whatever? Tough shit.

I'll even make this easier, come up with two scenarios.. Team A wins? Then do this bracket. Team B wins? Then do this one instead..
2016 was the year for your bracket scenario to come into play, Kentucky beat A&M in the final, and they should have switched Kentucky and A&M, but they didn’t and Kentucky got screwed over and out with UNC and Indiana

If I were a fan that dropped a lot of cash to take my family to an SEC tournament, spending money on hotels, travel, dining, merch. etc and the coaches decided to play their scrubs in the final game, it would be the last SEC tournament I would ever attend.

I imagine it is in the contract with ESPN that we play the current days. And they would not pay the SEC as much if it was moved because it would then create more overlap (& thus less value) with the ACC-T which monetarily they value more. So yeah, ESPN would probably pay less.

2016 was the year for your bracket scenario to come into play, Kentucky beat A&M in the final, and they should have switched Kentucky and A&M, but they didn’t and Kentucky got screwed over and out with UNC and Indiana

Yep. Now who knows, maybe we lose to a 14-seed and the result is worse.. but I like to think Ulis in March, and not having to play a rival in the 2nd round.. we could have gotten an Elite8 out of it.. and who knows from there. That was another Cal team that was clicking down the stretch.

Yep. Now who knows, maybe we lose to a 14-seed and the result is worse.. but I like to think Ulis inMarch, and not having to play a rival in the 2nd round.. we could have gotten an Elite8 out of it.. and who knows from there. That was another Cal team that was clicking down the stretch.
Kentucky would have had to play northern iowa second round instead of IU, and then Oklahoma, the committee screwed Kentucky over, also in 2017 they put 3 of 6 best teams in the same bracket with UNC, Kentucky & UCLA which was crap

Yep. Now who knows, maybe we lose to a 14-seed and the result is worse.. but I like to think Ulis in March, and not having to play a rival in the 2nd round.. we could have gotten an Elite8 out of it.. and who knows from there. That was another Cal team that was clicking down the stretch.
Ulis and Murray. And we didn't lose due to them (even though Murray was off), we lost because we had no post answer for the IU bigman. We had far and away the best backcourt in the country. Had Johnson returned (or Skal been good, not great, just good), that team would have been a challenger.

It would be much easier for the NCAA committee to have an alternative bracket to cover the outcome of the SEC title game but maybe that's asking too much. You kno...know.... thinking about a basketball tournament on the weekend is a very taxing job. Almost makes you feel sorry for them
They do. The committee chair has stated this EVERY SINGLE YEAR that they DO have contingency bracket for the two different results of that game. Yet every single year some idiot has to start a new thread stating it doesn't "count". It certainly does.

No excuse for losing to Indiana...just stop..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT