Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY

Southeastern Conference Football Media Days​

Thursday, July 18, 2024​

Dallas, Texas, USA​

Kentucky Wildcats​

Marques Cox​

Press Conference​

Q. I wanted to ask you about protecting for Brock. Is there something special that you need to know about him as a quarterback and how you're blocking schemes that will protect him the best?

MARQUES COX: No, at the end of the day my job is to keep him clean, keep him untouched and that way he can step up and fire the ball. Whatever I need to do to get my job done at the end of the day, that's what's going to be done, and it is what it is.

Q. As a new teammate, has Brock won over the locker room already, and if so, what kind of stuff has he done to prove himself to you guys?

MARQUES COX: I think he winning it over, and the best thing he is doing is being himself. He is not trying to be somebody he's not. He's a country boy. We love him to death. He loves to hunt, fish, do anything outside. So just letting him be himself and just adapting around him throughout the season.

Q. What's it like playing under Mark Stoops?

MARQUES COX: It's really great. He's a player-led coach. He really cares about his players and cares about us. He asks us every meeting if there's something he can do for us. He puts us in the front of his mind at all times, and it's a blessing to be playing for him.

Q. You're up there representing the Kentucky offensive line. What can you say about who else is going to be playing with you this year at that unit?

MARQUES COX: Yeah. So Jager is doing a great job this offseason. Eli is continuing to be the leader and helping me with the room or, as I say, I'm helping him.

Jalen came in, made a good impression on me. He works hard. Jarrell is doing really well as well. Then Dillon from last year is doing well, as well as our freshmen. They're pertaining to offense really well, and it's going to be a great season for us.

Q. Can you take me back to December 2022 when you first entered the portal? I'm curious what is it like for a starting offensive tackle, like an All-Conference player, to enter the portal as an offensive lineman?

MARQUES COX: It was definitely different, something new that I went into. Just getting hit up everywhere from every school getting an opportunity to play football.

At the end of the day I picked Kentucky. It was great for me to come back to Kentucky with previous playing there, but coming back and making this be my home.

Q. What's the transition like between the MAC and the SEC, if there was one?

MARQUES COX: Yeah, it's definitely more physical. The defensive linemen are way more bigger and longer. The defensive ends are a little bit faster, but at the end of the day it's still football. It's still football at the end of the day. It's nothing big or small that I can't handle. So just love playing the game, man.

Q. How do you feel like this offense is going to be improved from last year?

MARQUES COX: Our offense is definitely different from last year. We run a little bit more no-huddle. We do a lot of stuff off the pistol. So just different things we can do out of that just alone.

It's a lot, so just being able to adapt to what Coach Bush is teaching us and pushing ourselves to be better for our team and him.

Q. A lot of times you hear that offensive linemen are the most interesting guys to talk to of any position group. Do you agree with that, and if so, why?

MARQUES COX: Say it one more time.

Q. Offensive linemen get the reputation of being the most enjoyable guys to talk to on the team. Why is that the case?

MARQUES COX: Yeah, because we're unfiltered. We like to have fun. We got the most gruesome job, but at the same time it don't get that much shine or anything like that unless one of our teammates give us a shout-out. Shout-out to my teammates for giving us a shout-out.

We're unfiltered. We love having fun. It's a great time when you're around O-linemen. Yeah, that's the best way I can explain it.

Q. How important is it to be versatile and play more than one position?

MARQUES COX: It's very important. Being able to play all five positions show that you're available for anything. It helps our coaches give us confidence that you can go in and play anywhere at any given time.

Q. How often does Brock take you all out for dinner?

MARQUES COX: With him coming in a little bit in January he is still learning the playbook. We're still learning the playbook. Well, we're not still learning anymore, but getting a good grasp of the playbook.

It's been a little challenging this year, but on Wednesdays we have team bonding with the whole team, so the O-line get a chance to hang out with him and talk to him on Wednesdays and be around him. But we be around him every day too, so it gives us confidence that he likes us, so (laughing)...

Q. We heard a lot this week about different home field atmospheres. How would you describe Kroger Field to people who have never been to a game or a big game in Lexington?

MARQUES COX: Definitely an underrated stadium. It gets loud. Kentucky fans care about Kentucky sports, period.

It's a really underrated stadium, and it's our home stadium. So I do say it's a really great experience, a really fun experience to be with the Big Blue Nation and to be on Kroger Field.

Q. As you review the schedule this year, is there a team that you're looking forward to playing for the very first time?

MARQUES COX: Probably Texas will be the one. For the very first time, that will be exciting just with them coming in our conference and being new with everything that's going on with the 12 teams this year.

Getting informed about today. Still don't know what's going on with that. Just everything new happening this year, that will probably be a pretty cool stadium to play in.

Q. I know he's not lining up in front of you, but what do you think makes Deone Walker such a particularly explosive pass rusher?

MARQUES COX: You underestimate how quick he is just because of his size. He's really versatile. He's really good with his hands. He's really nimble for how flimsy and -- he can make you miss for how big he is. It's ridiculous to me.

But he's a really good pass rusher, really good player. He's very explosive, very great person. I can't wait to see what he can do this year.

Q. You mentioned that Kentucky supports Kentucky. There was talk of conflict or rivalry a couple of years ago between the football program and the men's basketball program at Kentucky. I'm wondering, is there friendly competition between you guys and the basketball team? You guys have a pretty good relationship and see each other?

MARQUES COX: I personally don't see them. I've been online for class, so the only place I go is the facility and home. I don't really -- I'm old, so I don't do much as far as going out or anything.

But as far as I'll say on that, I think we do a good job of supporting each other. Our Kentucky basketball team went through a lot of challenges this offseason with getting a new coach and everything. I think Coach Pope will come in and do a great job with our basketball team along with the new transfers and new people that came in as well.

At the end of the day it's go Big Blue. That's the end of it.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News