ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Hjelle just commited to UK

Not sure how good he is. It is typically hard to tell. However, perfect game says he is from New Mexico and it seems like he is throwing in the low 90s, and is a righty, so I don't think he'll be a huge prospect. Hjelle is actually out 7th commitment according to PG. I think our recruiting has dropped off, at least I think it did in 2014, so hopefully we bounce back this year and get another top 15 class.

Being that tall is already an advantage because hitters don't see that angle often...add in low 90's and it sounds like he could be promising.

I've hit a couple 6'7 guys and that is strange...6'11??
eek.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
Not sure how good he is. It is typically hard to tell. However, perfect game says he is from New Mexico and it seems like he is throwing in the low 90s, and is a righty, so I don't think he'll be a huge prospect. Hjelle is actually out 7th commitment according to PG. I think our recruiting has dropped off, at least I think it did in 2014, so hopefully we bounce back this year and get another top 15 class.
Agree that 2014 class is well behind our previous classes, need to step it up this year, we lose several players off the 2015 team that will be tough to replace !

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:

Agree that 2014 class is well behind our previous classes, need to step it up this year, we lose several players off the 2015 team that will be tough to replace !
OK has anyone heard anything else? Did they bring in anyone else? I see nothing on UK Athletics.

Originally posted by Old_Red:

OK has anyone heard anything else? Did they bring in anyone else? I see nothing on UK Athletics.
They don't update the recruiting on UKAthletics website until late October. They will then tell who the newcomers are. To get an idea you can go to perfect game's website.

Also on perfect game you can see a list of all the players currently committed to UK. It is hard to tell just how good they are, but you can at least get some basic information about how the 2015 class might look.

Originally posted by Old_Red:

They don't update the recruiting on UKAthletics website until late October. They will then tell who the newcomers are. To get an idea you can go to perfect game's website.

Also on perfect game you can see a list of all the players currently committed to UK. It is hard to tell just how good they are, but you can at least get some basic information about how the 2015 class might look.
I checked out our 2015 commits, we have 8 as of right now. The prize recruit is the son of former UK star Terry Schumpert, a shortstop from Colorado, who is a big time prospect !

^^^ Odds he goes to college? High or low?
Pretty high I think, his dad I believe, wants him to get the college experience. Money in the Shumpert household isn't a problem. Plus SEC Baseball is a great training ground.
Similar situation as Javon Shelby ie. John Shelby. It will be great to see a 2nd generation Wildcat out there on the diamond !

Jeff Drummond þ@JDrumUK 15m

UK Baseball's newly-enrolled recruiting class is ranked No. 14 by Collegiate Baseball today; 4th in SEC (LSU 1, Florida 3, MSU 6).

Originally posted by CatsFanGG24:

Jeff Drummond þ@JDrumUK 15m

UK Baseball's newly-enrolled recruiting class is ranked No. 14 by Collegiate Baseball today; 4th in SEC (LSU 1, Florida 3, MSU 6).
The Jr College kid out of Georgia who was drafted by the Cardinals had some nice stats. RH pitcher who apparently led the Jr College ranks in SOs with a 11-4 record, I believe? Not bad.

Pretty interesting. I really didn't think it would be that high, but it is hard to tell with baseball. It is going to be a very interesting year to see how we replace Cousino, Reed, Reida, and Thomas. Barrett could replace Cousino, but Kyle has to find his hitting stride again. Hairston is another viable option. Reida will be replaced by Connor Heady. Thomas' replacement is probably between Zach Arnold and Greg Fettes. Of course the biggest problem is replacing Reed. Pitching should remain largely the same, but someone has to step up and be the ace on the squad. Maybe the new JUCO kid can fill that role. At the end of last season there was no one I would trust (other than Reed) to start on Friday. Hopefully we can find someone to anchor or starting lineup. Of course, the biggest concern will be whether or not we can hit anywhere close to how we hit last year. Personally I'd be surprised if we saw anything similar.

Pretty interesting. I really didn't think it would be that high, but it is hard to tell with baseball. It is going to be a very interesting year to see how we replace Cousino, Reed, Reida, and Thomas. Barrett could replace Cousino, but Kyle has to find his hitting stride again. Hairston is another viable option. Reida will be replaced by Connor Heady. Thomas' replacement is probably between Zach Arnold and Greg Fettes. Of course the biggest problem is replacing Reed. Pitching should remain largely the same, but someone has to step up and be the ace on the squad. Maybe the new JUCO kid can fill that role. At the end of last season there was no one I would trust (other than Reed) to start on Friday. Hopefully we can find someone to anchor or starting lineup. Of course, the biggest concern will be whether or not we can hit anywhere close to how we hit last year. Personally I'd be surprised if we saw anything similar.
I also am surprised we rank that high. I do believe we will have some good sticks in the lineup however, with K Tom, K Barrett, S Wilson, M Carson, T Bernal, J Shelby, Z Arnold etc. Pitching is the BIG ?, we need K Cody, Z Brown, L Salow, A Nelson to be good as starters and long relief, S Jack was outstanding as a closer last year. The newcomers will have to step in and step up.
I look for us to be more of a base stealing team with Tom, Carson, Barrett, Shelby, and maybe Wilson being our primary threats. I will be anxious to see how fall ball goes, and look forward to the release of the 2015 schedule !

Read elsewhere youngsters Dorian Hariston, Connor Heady, Evan White, and Riley Mahan had multi hits in yesterdays scrimmage at The Cliff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT